Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Have been battling....

Options
dougcrann
dougcrann Posts: 1,129
...burgers falling apart in the Egg. Have tried a few different binders. Bread crumbs...just don't care for what they turn the burgers into. Perhaps the best way to describe it....to stiff. Cheese...still fell apart. Eggs...eh. Somebody on here mentioned adding a bit of water to the meat. 2 tablespoons per pound of meat...works like a charm. Wish I could remember who suggested it...but a sincere thanks to whomever you are.

Comments

• THEBuckeye
    THEBuckeye Posts: 4,231
    Options
    I "roll, round and pack" burgers. Never had an issue. No fillers, nothing. Round, chuck or sirloin.
    New Albany, Ohio 

• Miked125
    Miked125 Posts: 481
    Options
    I hand form, use cheese or bread crumbs, sometimes nothing.... I find the key is to put them in the fridge or freezer for a bit to keep the form. 
  • MCRyan
    MCRyan Posts: 167
    Options
    Cook them on a Lodge Griddle and use a press, or the back of a stiff spatula to smash the round meatball (a little smaller that a tennis ball) into a patty.  Best damn burger you will ever eat.  I simply season with worschteshire sauce, S&P.  That's it!   Awesomeness.  
    XLBGE, SS table
    McKinney, TX.
  • gabriegger
    gabriegger Posts: 682
    Options
    I use the flat side of a cast iron grill to solve that issue

the city above Toronto - Noodleville wtih 2 Large 1 Mini

• dougcrann
    dougcrann Posts: 1,129
    Options
    dogoffo said:
    Have tried a press....still fell apart. Meat has enough fat in it that I have very little arm hair from flipping burgers. I have talked about this on 3 different bbq forums...probably have 5 or 6 threads going. Have tried everything....except going "smash mouth". Reason we decided to use water...bought a pack of Tri Tip roasts  (5) to cut into steaks. Took the scraps, ground them up. Divided it into pound packs and froze. When making burger patties Ernie couldn't help but notice how "wet" they came out. In the past if I wasn't very gentle placing the patties in the Egg, didn't wait til a very heavy crust formed prior to flipping the patty just came unglued.  With the trip tip meat I was able to drop the patties on the grate...and move them prior to the crust forming...
    Sorry for rambling..
  • DaveRichardson
    DaveRichardson Posts: 2,324
    Options
    I stick with good ole 80/20 and haven't had a problem with them falling apart.  I've done indirect "beer-can burgers" and direct regular and raised-direct without a problem.

I'm a simpleton.  I like bread, meat, and cheese and another piece of bread.  Sometimes some catsup, caramelized onions, and mustard/mayo blend.  I don't do all the other stuff that people do to burgers.

LBGE #19 from North GA Eggfest, 2014

Stockbridge, GA - just south of Atlanta where we are covered up in Zombies!  #TheWalkingDead films practically next door!

• Theophan
    Theophan Posts: 2,654
    Options
    I'm fascinated!  I've always had the opposite problem!  I've never in my life had a burger fall apart, but I've way too often felt like my burgers were too dense, and I'd packed them too hard.  All of the experts talk about very lightly forming the patties.  Seems to me like it has to be that you and I are simply on opposite sides of the spectrum on this, that I'm forming them too hard, and you're forming them too loosely. (And I'm talking about pure beef, no bread, no eggs, no nothing -- just 80/20 chuck, usually.)

Hmm... or maybe too thin.  I recently made some Balkan-style burgers (see my "Pljeskavica" post), and they're usually way big around (practically fill a plate) but very thin, and I pressed them thinner than 1/4", and they looked fine when I put them on, but as they cooked they developed holes in them, and started to fall apart.  Are you making super thin burgers?
  • blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    edited May 2016
    Options

No disrespect to the poster recommending the patti press, but unless you are trying to replicate a burger from McDonalds, this isn't what I'd do

Burgers should be loosly formed, not compressed.  If the meat has warmed up, I put in the freezer for 20 minutes to firm up.

Phoenix 
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    MCRyan said:
    Cook them on a Lodge Griddle and use a press, or the back of a stiff spatula to smash the round meatball (a little smaller that a tennis ball) into a patty.  Best damn burger you will ever eat.  I simply season with worschteshire sauce, S&P.  That's it!   Awesomeness.  
    did that last night with SRF beef. It's the only way I cook burgers now.

Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • ChokeOnSmoke
    ChokeOnSmoke Posts: 1,942
    Options
    blasting said:

Burgers should be loosly formed, not compressed.  

Totally agree.
    I assume they're falling apart when you're flipping them.  The key is to not flip until they are half way done.  If you flip before the meat naturally releases from the grid, it will fall apart.  Burgers should only be flipped once and only after they've firmed up half way through the cook.  That's my technique for loosely formed burgers.
    Packerland, Wisconsin

• NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    edited May 2016
    Options
    I use about the size of a cue ball or slightly smaller and form out inform into a patty. And then place  between precut parchment and continue on layering each onto a cutting board, cookie sheet or whatever. Place into the freezer on flash freeze while the egg is preheating. By the time the egg has preheated it's time to cook some burgers. The lack of binder has no effect and the burgers come out nice. I believe in not overworking the beef in making the burger. I don't like compacting it. If I wanted compact I'll make Smashburgers. This works well cooking direct on the grid but, even better on CI IMHO. 
    *edited to correct what google voice mistyped
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • JRWhitee
    JRWhitee Posts: 5,678
    Options
    blasting said:

Burgers should be loosly formed, not compressed.  

Totally agree.
    I assume they're falling apart when you're flipping them.  The key is to not flip until they are half way done.  If you flip before the meat naturally releases from the grid, it will fall apart.  Burgers should only be flipped once and only after they've firmed up half way through the cook.  That's my technique for loosely formed burgers.
    You hit the nail on the head! I have cooked burgers this way for years and they never fall apart.

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • bhedges1987
    bhedges1987 Posts: 3,201
    Options
    In my opinion you are not forming them enough.  

Kansas City, Missouri
    Large Egg
    Mini Egg

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us" - Gandalf

• Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Options
    blasting said:

No disrespect to the poster recommending the patti press, but unless you are trying to replicate a burger from McDonalds, this isn't what I'd do

Burgers should be loosly formed, not compressed.  If the meat has warmed up, I put in the freezer for 20 minutes to firm up.

Agree on loose pack and not compressing too much. Some folks use of a press and literally stand on the handle, not a good burger at all. We have an old 3 piece Tupperware press that works like a charm, a light touch is all that is required. It is very easy to over-process using a burger press, unless as @blasting notes you are Radioactive Ronnie or the King. 
    Key to getting the looser pack burgers to stay together is to make sure they are at least 1/2 cooked before you flip them - IMO best burgers are still done on the flat-top. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • hondabbq
    hondabbq Posts: 1,980
    Options
    I was taught to work the fat when forming burgers. 
    I have one hand above and below, palms up and toss to each hand slightly squishing and 1/4 turning when tossing back to The other hand. I do this 20-30 times. Burgers flatten and don't crack. 
    I only add seasoning. No fillers, binders of any kind. 
  • DaveRichardson
    DaveRichardson Posts: 2,324
    Options
    Also, I have found that meat that has been frozen to a brick and then thawed makes a pretty crappy burger.  Those have gotten a little loose on me before...

LBGE #19 from North GA Eggfest, 2014

Stockbridge, GA - just south of Atlanta where we are covered up in Zombies!  #TheWalkingDead films practically next door!