Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

How much lump will a medium hold?

Ray
Ray Posts: 59
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I was wondering how long a medium egg will go with a full load of lump? That is, with a steady 250 degree dome temp. Thanks for any help. -Ray

Comments

• Gfw
    Gfw Posts: 1,598
    Ray, it depends a lot on the temperature - at lower temps it will take more fuel to maintain the temp - at high temps, it will take less. I have had my Medium go for 20+ hours. For low/slow cooks, use the small pieces of lunp and start the fire from the top. Good luck![p]

[ul][li]Gfw's BBQ[/ul]
  • sprinter
    sprinter Posts: 1,188
    Ray,[p]I load my medium up to the top of the fire ring and have gotten 21 hours out of a low and slow burn. Did an 11 pound brisket at 200 and man was it tender. I didn't pack it or anything, just poured it in, lit a fire cube at the top of the lump, setup my inderect, and let it go. 20+ hours is not uncommon at all in a medium. Don't be afraid to fill the firebox full, firering too. I do it all the time and get great results and long burns.[p]Troy
  • sprinter
    sprinter Posts: 1,188
    Sorry, that should have read 31 hours, not 21. It amazed even me at how long it burned.[p]Troy

• Ray, I'm not one to be to critical here. But did Santa come see you early? Or are just preparing ahead? The medium is next on my list. I have 2 larges but seem to have this need for a medium to take out to the Chiefs games. I'm not going to say too much my Christmas present was delivered today and already in use. A nice fridge for my kitchen area downstairs. If this weather ever breaks I'll be doing 3 slabs of babybacks in Belton.[p]CWM
  • Ray
    Ray Posts: 59
    Car Wash Mike,
    Santa did come early, or at least by Saturday. Christmas prime rib on the new Medium Egg. I will have to knock some of the ice of the deck to get a place to put it. I don't know about you end of the K.C. metro, but my end is pretty cold. -Ray

• Ray,
    2 hours SSW of KC and its colder than a "well digger's" .....! I guess you know thats cold! My neighbors are beginning to think somethin' is wrong, if they don't smell the Eggs cookin' somethin' each night! They start callin' wondering if I'm having withdrawal symtoms! Come to think of it, is someone going to start an "Eggs Anonymous" out there? I might have to join! :-)))[p]
    Dr. Chicken

• Ray, Just as cold as the good Dr. says. We had a high of 18 today. I'm setting here babysitting a good looking slab of babybacks. Stepson called about 3 today and asked if I could cook a slab for his thing to bring to their Christmas lunch. I love him but these might taste pretty good about 10 pm. Let me know about the prime rib. [p]CWM