Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

What is longest 250F temp time on a Large you ever achieved without refueling?

Options
I never tested it but for the memorial day brisket cook, im thinking about testing this out to see if if can be done.

I have run the XL with a full load of lump at 225-250 for 26 hrs with lump left ober.   I have run the large with a full load of lump fpr 12 or so hrs with lump left over.

I am lookimg for anyone who has used the Large, full load of lump, at a low and slow cook that lasted 24 hrs without needing to refuel.

Anyone out there successfully do this?

Comments

• Captainjimpark
    Options
    I cook pork butts all the time for 18 hours at 225-230 with lump left over.i would think using good lump that 24 hours is possible,but I can't say I have done it.
  • Darby_Crenshaw
    Darby_Crenshaw Posts: 2,657
    Options
    i once filled the thing to just about max.  did a pork butt at 225 for damn near 20 hours (i now do them higher).  my buddy was bringing his brisket to eat as well (he had a BGE too) but it wasn't done.  when they arrived i pulled off my butt, tossed on his brisket, and we drank and ate for eight hours before it was ready.

next day we cooked a chicken, say 350 for a couple hours.  day after that, steaks and burgers at high heat.

i don't think there is any chance of a filled large ever truly running out of fuel. 

24 hours is not even a challenge
    [social media disclaimer: irony and sarcasm may be used in some or all of user's posts; emoticon usage is intended to indicate moderately jocular social interaction; the comments toward users, their usernames, and the real people (living or dead) that they refer to are not intended to be adversarial in nature; those replying to this user are entering into a tacit agreement that they are real-life or social-media acquaintances and/or have agreed to or tacitly agreed to perpetrate occasional good-natured ribbing between and among themselves and others]

• westernbbq
    westernbbq Posts: 2,490
    Options
    Sweet!  Thanks for the info @Darby_Crenshaw and @Captainjimpark.   That settles it,  For the Memorial Day brisket cook, i am doing a full packer, with a vee or chicken rack in the middle to tent it so it fits in the Large lengthwise, for 24 hrs.  I am pretty Eggcited to again witness the efficiency of the BGE
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    edited May 2016
    Options
    Agreed, no problem...

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    Options
    I have gone over 30 hours with Fogo lump in my large. 
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • westernbbq
    Options
    @Chubbs.   What temperature were you running?
  • blind99
    blind99 Posts: 4,971
    Options

I've gone 24 hours at 200-240 temp, in winter. started the grill at 5 PM, brisket on at 11 PM, dinner at 6 the next day.  (Most briskets I cook, though are around 12#, so I run them around 275-285, and just cook them during the day for dinnertime eats)

Chicago, IL - Large and Small BGE - Weber Gasser and Kettle
  • Tjcoley
    Tjcoley Posts: 3,551
    Options
    30 pounds of pork at 225 for 29 hours, followed by a turkey breast without refueling. 
    bhedges1987 Posts: 3,201
    Options
    I can hit 18 with the lump still at the top of my firebox.  I will start it at the top of the ring. So I'm assuming it can go 24. 

Kansas City, Missouri
    Large Egg
    Mini Egg

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us" - Gandalf

• GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    Options
    18 with some to spare.

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • jbreed
    jbreed Posts: 98
    Options
    I did 24 hours often in FL with BGE lump on a large.  I clarify two things here: Lump (I don't know that Cowboy would make it????) and region (I now live in CO at altitude and have not done 24 hours yet, but I will give it a try this weekend).
    Castle Rock, CO - always a Husker
  • Darby_Crenshaw
    Options
    Cowboy would make it just fine
    [social media disclaimer: irony and sarcasm may be used in some or all of user's posts; emoticon usage is intended to indicate moderately jocular social interaction; the comments toward users, their usernames, and the real people (living or dead) that they refer to are not intended to be adversarial in nature; those replying to this user are entering into a tacit agreement that they are real-life or social-media acquaintances and/or have agreed to or tacitly agreed to perpetrate occasional good-natured ribbing between and among themselves and others]

• HoustonEgger
    HoustonEgger Posts: 616
    Options
    Agreed - I've hit 24 with lump leftover for several other high heat cooks (large egg)
    Formerly of Houston, TX - Now Located in Bastrop, TX
    I work in the 'que business now (since 2017)

6 Eggs: (1) XL, (2) Large, (1) Small, (1) Minimax & (1) Mini - Egging since 2007
    Also recently gained: (1) Gas Thing (came with the house), (1) 36" Blackstone Griddle & (1) Pitts & Spitts Pellet Smoker
  • Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    Options
    @Chubbs.   What temperature were you running?
    250 mainly. Dropped to 225 at one point. 
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    19 hours 26 mins, lump left over, 225F.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,378
    Options
    Never made it to 24 but did go 22+hrs at around 240-250*F on the dome with more than enough for another 2 hours.  Thinking back to when that cook happened, I'm sure the lump was Wicked Good Weekend Warrior.  FWIW-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Jeepster47
    Jeepster47 Posts: 3,827
    Options
    You might have to use a wiggle stick about halfway through the cook, but 24 hours is theoretically possible with a blower type controller. 

I suspect that blowers force extra air out of the egg ... air that you had to use lump to heat.  If you're not using a blower, then I suspect that the airflow is less, and thus, the lump usage is less. 

Washington, IL  >  Queen Creek, AZ ... Two large eggs and an adopted Mini Max

• Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,087
    Options
    My record is 7 days at ambient temp.
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • Darby_Crenshaw
    Options
    it isn't "theoretically possible with a blower".
    it's possible with the BGE, no accessories req'd

• DaveRichardson
    DaveRichardson Posts: 2,324
    Options
    Rockwood fully loaded to where the OS had to be pushed down to fully seat took a 20 hour butt smoke then did some chicken breasts, a turkey, and burgers. Total out at about 28 hours of cooking. 

LBGE #19 from North GA Eggfest, 2014

Stockbridge, GA - just south of Atlanta where we are covered up in Zombies!  #TheWalkingDead films practically next door!

• JohnnyTarheel
    JohnnyTarheel Posts: 6,541
    Options
    I have hit 19 hours with enough lump left to grill chicken three more times before refilling...
    Charlotte, NC - Large BGE 2014, Maverick ET 733, Thermopen, Nest, Platesetter, Woo2 and Extender w/Grid, Kick Ash Basket, Pizza Stone, SS Smokeware Cap, Blackstone 36"
  • Jeepster47
    Options
    it isn't "theoretically possible with a blower".
    it's possible with the BGE, no accessories req'd
    @Darby_Crenshaw ...  Let's try it this way: With a blower, it is theoretically possible to maintain 250 degrees for 24 hours.  A few months ago, I calculated a lbs/hr consumption rate using my FB200 for repeatablility, and then, extrapolated the time for consumption of 10 lbs of lump.

Without a blower - naturally aspirated - the egg will most likely exceed 24 hours.

• SmokinTiger81
    SmokinTiger81 Posts: 746
    Options
    Guess it depends on what is filled to.  I go to bottom of spider and 18 to 20 hours with some lump left.  Using royal oak lump.  225 to 250 with auber controller
  • Jeepster47
    Options
    @SmokinTiger81... it also depends, if you're measuring by volume, on the brand of lump you're using.  Ten pounds of Rockwood will fill a large to the bottom of the notches in the fire ring.  Never used Fogo, but others have said that it's very dense and will burn longer than other brands.

• RajunCajun
    RajunCajun Posts: 1,035
    Options
    I usually put lump up to the top of the firebox or maybe slightly higher.  I've never been able to go beyond 12hrs.  I was cooking a brisket a while back using Ozark Oak lump and was running uncomfortably low at about 5hrs into the cook.  Gonna smoke a butt all night long on Thur evening...certainly hoping I don't run out of lump.
    The problem with a problem is that you don't know it's a problem until it's a problem, and that is a big problem.
    Holding the company together with three spreadsheets and two cans connected by a long piece of string.
  • Jeepster47
    Options
    @RajunCajun ... if you only fill to the top of the fire bowl, then all you have to cook with is five pounds of lump.  Since the fire goes out on a 250 degree cook with about one pound of lump left in the egg, you're only using four pounds to cook ... four pounds will yield about 12 hours.

Fill it to the bottom of the notches in the fire RING and you'll not have to think twice about finishing that butt on one fill. 

Here's a thread with three representative fills:

http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1191617/lump-trivia-the-beginning/p1

• RajunCajun
    RajunCajun Posts: 1,035
    Options
    Jeepster47, thanks for the info.  It's never too late in life to learn something new.  Have a drink on me, brother!
    The problem with a problem is that you don't know it's a problem until it's a problem, and that is a big problem.
    Holding the company together with three spreadsheets and two cans connected by a long piece of string.
  • Dfoshee
    Dfoshee Posts: 191
    Options
    Cooked a brisket 22.5 hrs without refueling.  filled to top of firering 
    Lbge. Maverick 733, ss top, 30" fire pit, gas grill, small charcoal grill, electric smoker, 65 qt yeti, 35 qt yeti.
  • westernbbq
    Options
     You are all awesome.  I was a little concerned before, thinking about eggsperimenting with the large but as the guy in Mexico said to George, "Gringo.....i've got no more concerns...."

The Lahge it is and the XL will rest this week!
  • Rebhanmh
    Rebhanmh Posts: 79
    edited May 2016
    Options
    22 hours easy at 200-225, probably had a few hours left.
    LBGE
    Atoka, TN