Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Maintaining temp with daisy wheel or Smokeware chimney cap

Options
Have you all found any difference in maintaining temp for a low and slow with a Smokeware chimney cap vs. the daisy wheel?  

Comments

• Jupiter Jim
    Jupiter Jim Posts: 3,351
    Options
    I have not done a low and slow with my Smokeware because I don't do low and slow after learning how to turbo butts/briskets. I have found no difference with any temp control, the settings are obviously a little different but easily learned. I also don't worry that much about keeping the temp spot on, if my target is 250 and it's running 275 no big deal. I have no doubt that you can maintain low and slow with the Smokeware.  

I'm only hungry when I'm awake!

Okeechobee FL. Winter

West Jefferson NC Summer

• jeffwit
    jeffwit Posts: 1,348
    Options
    Done it with both. No issues with either one once you get a feel for where the settings are.
    Jefferson, GA
    XL BGE, MM, Things to flip meat over and stuff
    Wife, 3 kids, 5 dogs, 4 cats, 12 chickens, 2 goats, 2 pigs. 
    “Honey, we bought a farm.”
  • bboulier
    bboulier Posts: 558
    Options
    No problem in maintaining temps with either one.  However, like Jupiter Jim, I only do turbo cooks any more.  
    Weber Kettle, Weber Genesis Silver B, Medium Egg, KJ Classic (Black)
  • blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    Options
    I have more confidence that the Smokeware won't get bumped out of adjustment.  Unless that would happen, either will regulate just as well, imo.

It doesn't really rain here, but I'd imagine sudden showers would be a pretty big plus of the SW cap.  
    Phoenix 
  • bodski
    bodski Posts: 463
    Options
    I've used both with no noticeable difference. As someone else pointed out, the Smokeware holds position better.

Cincinnati

LBGE, Weber Kettle

• KiterTodd
    KiterTodd Posts: 2,466
    Options
    Nope, both work well.   I'm a huge fan of the smokeware, though, since it doesn't lose it's setting any time I open the egg.  NOT that I EVER open the egg on a low and slow, though...    ;)
    LBGE/Maryland
  • DaveRichardson
    DaveRichardson Posts: 2,324
    Options
    First cook with a Smokewear cap was a butt.  I'm typically around 275 because I like just a little of a stall to freak out the wife when she has people coming over!  It was pretty east to dial it in with only a few minor adjustments at first.

LBGE #19 from North GA Eggfest, 2014

Stockbridge, GA - just south of Atlanta where we are covered up in Zombies!  #TheWalkingDead films practically next door!