Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Nebraska Deer Round Roast....

reload
reload Posts: 267
Once this roast thaws out, I'm going to attempt cooking it on the Egg.  In years past I  have typically thrown these in the slow cooker with good results.  Any suggestions on Egging this cut would be greatly appreciated.  

Comments

• Jstroke
    Jstroke Posts: 2,600
    How thick is this cut
    Columbus, Ohio--A Gasser filled with Matchlight and an Ugly Drum.
  • Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    Personal opinion of course....

First option would be to chop and grind.
    Second, smoke low and slow.
    Third, braise.
    Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• Really need to know how thick and what size that piece is. If its thick enough I would smoke it low for few hours then brsise it on the egg with veggies and beef stock. 

Little Rock, AR

• bboulier
    bboulier Posts: 558
    No advice.  Originally from Nebraska, but our family did not have a BGE in the 1950's & 60's.   Now that I have a BGE, hunting opportunities in Northern Virginia are too limited to try the new method of cooking.  
    Weber Kettle, Weber Genesis Silver B, Medium Egg, KJ Classic (Black)
  • westernbbq
    westernbbq Posts: 2,490
    Make Red Chile with it.  This is a low amd slow process in dutch oven or a pan, covered with roasted red chile pods, a few cloves of garlic, one jalapeno, some salt, pepper amd a little cumin.   This is sort of like braising. You will want to put some negro modelo in with it while its cooking.  Cut the roast into half inch chunks and it should shred after long cook

Put into tortillas with guacamole, cheese and salsa amd ooooh wee! Love that red chile.
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Braise in CI pan with some broth and hearty veggies. 
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • KiterTodd
    KiterTodd Posts: 2,466
    edited May 2016
    I smoked a venison roast last month and was surprised how good it turned out.  It was like a prime rib after that slow cook!  I had some sliced, but the bulk of it I then chunked up and used to make a quick stew.  Stayed tender and gave the soup a light smoky flavor. 

http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1194174/venison-cook-live-stream

LBGE/Maryland