Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

What is your favorite brisket rub?

Options
Cullum
Cullum Posts: 215
I've done the salt and pepper. It's good. Any others you really like?

Comments

• lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,760
    Options
    I like a good prime rib rub
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    Coffee garlic bbq rub from Trader Joe's. 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• bkhooegger
    bkhooegger Posts: 30
    Options
    I like Cowlick, but normally just go with salt and pepper.
  • Acn
    Acn Posts: 4,424
    Options
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    edited May 2016
    Options
    I used prepackaged rubs for years as a recreational / occasional griller. Couple years ago, when I got my egg, the occasional / recreational changed to full on cooking with the BGE, and to lower my expense I started making my own. For brisket, I use 35% coarse ground salt and 30% coarse ground black pepper, 20% garlic powder, 10% onion powder, 5% smoked paprika. The key for me is the S and P. They are the work horses in a full packer cook.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,615
    Options
  • bhedges1987
    bhedges1987 Posts: 3,201
    Options
    I like meat church holy cow. It comes in a large container and is cheap I think. 

Kansas City, Missouri
    Large Egg
    Mini Egg

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us" - Gandalf

• blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    Options

SPG, combined with Montreal Steak.  I'll skip the ratios - they are by feel anyway.

There are three types of people in this world.  One is good with math, and the other isn't...

Phoenix 
  • REMtx
    REMtx Posts: 63
    Options
    Another vote for Meat Church Holy Cow beef rub.
  • smokeyj
    smokeyj Posts: 340
    Options

My last brisket was covered with Big Poppa smokers cash cow and a layer of meat church holy cow on top. If you never tried cash cow I recommend it. It is good stuff.

My other favorite is Texas bbq rubs,  brisket rub.

• FATC1TY
    FATC1TY Posts: 888
    Options
    The oakridge black ops is damn, damn fine if you want something exotic. 

I'm more of the simple fare. Lots of fresh ground pepper.. course and fine salt, onion powder, garlic powder, smoked chipotle, and smoked paprika.

I'll occasionally toss in some fresh ground coffee when I wanna be different.

figure 40/40 salt and pepper.. diffuse the rest as you choose, and keep in a shaker or a bag for future use.

But I'm a fan of mixing it up myself.

For those who don't want to play with an expensive brisket cook, grab some strips or ribeyes and use the rub on them to get an idea of how it works with beef.

-FATC1TY
    Grillin' and Brewing in Atlanta
    LBGE
    MiniMax
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    Legume said:
    By weight @YukonRon ?
    By weight is the only way I have done it thus far.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • lwrehm
    lwrehm Posts: 381
    Options
    I used to use a homemade rub with paprika, salt, pepper, chili powder, sugar...NEVER AGAIN, my brisket gets nothing but kosher salt and black pepper from now on.