Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Fuel Efficient Yes!!! but 4 to 6 months per bag???

Mop
Mop Posts: 496
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I just used the last of my first 20 lb bag of BGE lump....[p]Wow, The brochure states that you can get 4 to 6 months out of a bag of lump.......do they mean a thousand pound bag????[p]LOL.....I have only had the Egg for a few weeks.......
It is very fuel efficient, I will admit that...much more so than my SNP....
Just courious as to how they ever came up with that number...[p]Mop!

Comments

• sprinter
    sprinter Posts: 1,188
    Mop,[p]I actually think that they give their calculations for this in the brochure. Something to the effect of cooking at 350 2-3 times a week and a 20 pound bag. They go on to say, if memory serves me correctly, that long cooks or more high temp cooks will alter the lump usage. Even so, this is somewhat of a mis-statement on the part of BGE. I dont know of anyone who gets that sort of efficiency but the BGE is by far more efficient than my old Webber Kettle grill. I burned through charcoal in that like it was going out of style.[p]Troy
  • Dec
    Dec Posts: 70
    Mop,[p]I agree with you, I went through a bag every two to three weeks. Then again, I don't think they counted on us Q'in four to five days a week.[p]Dec

• Gfw
    Gfw Posts: 1,598
    Mop, I got 6 months out the bag that I'm currently using - their calculations must be right on - by the way, I opened that bag last week and it is the last of several bags that I bought about 6 months ago - see, a bag can last 6 months.[p]Life is GOOD :~]

• Mop
    Gfw,...LOL.....true enough.....LOL

• Mop
    Dec,your probably right....they must have never seen this forum and us fanatics....LOL[p]Mop

• Mop
    sprinter, you got that right sir.....I`m not used to BBQing without a messy cleanout first....
    The Egg is great...just stir and light......love it!
    much less work than my SNP....
    Sausages on the last batch of lump......
    Mop!

• Mop, I thought the same thing at first but I found out that when I was done cooking I was letting the left over lump burn untill it was gone instead of shutting down the egg and saving the lump.I found out that shutting the egg down when done with a cook it saved the lump and I had enough lump left for a cook the next day. Made my lump last twice as long. But I still dont think it will last 6 mnths. Who knows? Keep cookin and learnen.

• Mop
    Gentleman Jim, Believe it or not I actually do shut the egg down right after I pull the food out.........On the eggs defence though, most of my cooks have been HIGH temp searing with a couple of slow cooks but 6 months.....no way..
    I have some sausages sizzling away on the egg now under all our snow......It smells sweet out on the deck I`ll tell ya!..[p]Merry Christmas....
    Mop!

• Mop,[p]"4-6 months per bag" is in the same category as
    "Ribs: 45 minutes fallin' off the bone!"
    Unnecessary and untrue hyperbole for a product that is tremendous and good enough to stand on it's merits without misrepresentation.

• Gfw
    Gfw Posts: 1,598
    Irish Smoker, Ribs for 45 minutes and fall off the bone - I did some of those yesterday. [p]By the way, the 45 minutes was the last 45 minutes - but then the other few hours don't really count! Have a great day! :~]

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Mop!!!!
    A 20 pound bag a week for this addict. There are a WHOLE bunch of folks who have BGEs and only cook once or twice a month. Many that never have seen this forum. I guess they had to average those folks in...who knows if they factored in the true addicts.[p]What's an SNP???
    Appy Olidays!!
    NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • Mop
    Nature Boy, here is a pic of my Brinkman SmokeN'Pit...(SNP).[p]hope this works.

[ul][li]SNP...SmokeN"Pit[/ul]
  • Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Mop,
    I am now informed! Looks like a great little pit. Maybe not for the current outdoor temps, but MAN...you got some grill space. How many racks o ribs can you do on it??
    Cheers
    NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • Mop, If I get by with just using 20lbs. a week I feel let down. I didn't cook enough. I going to start buying by the pallet. That might save a little.[p]CWM

• Mop
    Car Wash Mike, LOL.....Thats the spirit man!!!!!!!![p]I like that attitude!!!!!!!!![p]Mop!

• Mop
    Nature Boy,..Thanks, yes, It`s what started this whole BBQ thing for me......
    For the nice weather it`s great....
    It would be better if I had the "offset" model where you build the fire in the offset and use the chamber for the food...
    What I do is build the fire in the left side and put the food to the right....
    I have done 8 or so ribs in one load....
    It really stands out when used as a grill....
    I cook at my brother in laws annual corn roast and it gets completly full of sausage....works great for that...
    The Egg is to compliment the SNP, not to take over...
    I love them both..
    Mop!

• Mop
    I should mention that I do ribs indirectly.....If I were to cook them direct useing a v rack, I could do 16 or so racks but I never cook ribs direct.....
    There is something about the indirect method using applewood for smoke.....
    I have a favorite rib recipe and procedure that I got from Basso`s forum and I`m anxious to see if the Egg can duplicate the results I achieve in the SNP![p]Mop!

• Mop,
    IMHO, I think they were either hitting the "sauce"(not bbq either) or they didn't know how to cook like all of us on the forum do! I haven't even looked at the other posts yet, but I went thru (2) 20lb bags of lump just in the last 3 days! Yes, my Eggs were going non-stop for the duration! Fantastic results too! Smoked turkey, pulled pork and brisket! All of them turned out great!!!! This weekend it will be turkeys, double smoked ham and smoked salmon! All of it done by Sunday night! (hopefully!)[p]I hope you and your family have a wonderful Christmas and a great New Year![p]Keep on smokin'![p]
    Dr. Chicken

• Mop
    Dr. Chicken,Thanks for the seasons greetings sir....
    Wow, thats a lot of Eggin you have been doing....
    Sounds like you had some purdy good eating....[p]All the Best of the season to you and yours.....[p]Roger~!

• Mop,
    I think it's the difference between 'Marketing Numbers' and 'Engineering Numbers'. The Marketing Numbers usually come with the disclaimer "Your actual milage may vary.":-) I have found a 20# bag will last me anywhere from 2 to 6 weeks. [p]Happy Holidays!