Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Space City Eggfest, Spring TX 5 stars

Options
Had a great time yesterday. First eggfest we cooked at where the volunteers asked us if needed water, supplies .. you name it we got it. Had hot water to rinse dishes and tools, nice. Good crowd, nice location in old town Spring TX. Did have several folks ask us where the bread came from we were serving. Couldn't believe you can bake on BGE! More next year.
1 Large BGE, 1 Mini BGE, 1 Minimax BGE, Original wife and 3 dogs living in the heart of BBQ country in Round Rock Texas. 

"The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it."

Albert Einstein

Comments

• Spring Hen
    Spring Hen Posts: 1,578
    Options
    What John said and more..... it was a well-planned event and for a first year I think it went very smoothly. I really liked the size of the crowd (about 400 tasters) and the best part was they were all interested in the Egg and not just there to eat.  "Houston" does not have a problem so plan onjoining us next year ......
    Judy
    Covington, Louisiana USA
  • chuckytheegghead
    chuckytheegghead Posts: 1,201
    Options
    Sounds like a good time and not overly busy.  Who's got the pics?
  • C130
    C130 Posts: 56
    Options
    My wife and I went along with our two kids and one of their friends. We got there kinda late and I think we missed some of the food but still had a good time. I had never been to an Eggfest so I had no idea what to expect but honestly thought it would be much bigger than what it was. Maybe it was because we got there around 2. Not meant as a complaint at all, just thought there would be more people cooking since Houston is such a huge city. 

The cheesecake was the big hit for us I think. The kids kept going back for more and more.  Everything we ate was very good though and it's pretty amazing what all can be cooked on an egg. 

Dumb question, but I assume all of the eggs are supplied to the cooks and that's where all the demo eggs come from. There was a huge line of people lined up to get them when we were leaving and we couldn't get out of the parking area. It appeared there were way more people in line than people cooking on eggs so was wondering if some of the eggs never even got used.  
    Scott
    Magnolia, TX
    LBGE
    Mini Max
  • egger ave
    egger ave Posts: 721
    edited May 2016
    Options
    C130 said:
    My wife and I went along with our two kids and one of their friends. We got there kinda late and I think we missed some of the food but still had a good time. I had never been to an Eggfest so I had no idea what to expect but honestly thought it would be much bigger than what it was. Maybe it was because we got there around 2. Not meant as a complaint at all, just thought there would be more people cooking since Houston is such a huge city. 

The cheesecake was the big hit for us I think. The kids kept going back for more and more.  Everything we ate was very good though and it's pretty amazing what all can be cooked on an egg. 

Dumb question, but I assume all of the eggs are supplied to the cooks and that's where all the demo eggs come from. There was a huge line of people lined up to get them when we were leaving and we couldn't get out of the parking area. It appeared there were way more people in line than people cooking on eggs so was wondering if some of the eggs never even got used.  
    There were 22 cooks/teams yesterday, many from the Houston metro area and cooking for the first time. Things were winding down by 2 pm yesterday. I would expect a few more cooks next year. 

Don't know how many BGE's they sold but is was most of them looking at the line waiting to pickup their BGE's. Many of the BGE's are sold in advance by the dealer. We sold at least 2 minmaxes after the tasters talked to us. 
    1 Large BGE, 1 Mini BGE, 1 Minimax BGE, Original wife and 3 dogs living in the heart of BBQ country in Round Rock Texas. 

"The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it."

Albert Einstein
  • C130
    Options
    I love our mini max and bought it for our RV. It's also a nice addition to my large. I figured it was winding down by talking to some of the cooks who told me they had run out of some of the food they had cooked earlier. We had planned on getting there earlier but got behind.  Still had a great time and I know the proceeds went to a great cause. Everything we tried tasted great and it was nice seeing the versatility of an egg.  
    Scott
    Magnolia, TX
    LBGE
    Mini Max
  • egger ave
    Options
    C130 said:
    I love our mini max and bought it for our RV. It's also a nice addition to my large. I figured it was winding down by talking to some of the cooks who told me they had run out of some of the food they had cooked earlier. We had planned on getting there earlier but got behind.  Still had a great time and I know the proceeds went to a great cause. Everything we tried tasted great and it was nice seeing the versatility of an egg.  
    we met yesterday, like your handle btw. I use our minimax several times a week. Just the right size for two of us. Maybe you can cook next year with us.

Albert Einstein
  • Kingtute80
    Kingtute80 Posts: 8
    Options
    Great event yesterday! My fellow egghead and I are definitely going to cook next year. We have started planning our menu! 
  • 20stone
    20stone Posts: 1,961
    edited May 2016
    Options
    Team NFA had a great time.  It turns out that haveing extra hands makes a huge difference, and Lisa (@MsStone), Cali's dad and Mike (my BIL) were head down with us for the duration.

The event was very well run and the cooks were well taken care of, and I'd encourage more folks to jump in next year.  
    (now only 16 stone)

Joule SV
    GE induction stove
    Gasser by the community pool (currently unavailable)
    Scale (which one of my friends refuses to use)
    Friends with BGEs and myriad other fired devices (currently unavail IRL)
    Occasional access to a KBQ and Webber Kettle
    Charcuterie and sourdough enthusiast
    Prosciuttos in an undisclosed location

Austin, TX
  • egger ave
    Options
    Great event yesterday! My fellow egghead and I are definitely going to cook next year. We have started planning our menu! sounds great see you there

Albert Einstein
  • C130
    Options
    I wouldn't mind cooking next year, I'm sure it would be a great time. It's something I'll definitely have to look in to. 
    Scott
    Magnolia, TX
    LBGE
    Mini Max
  • 20stone
    Options
    C130 said:
    I wouldn't mind cooking next year, I'm sure it would be a great time. It's something I'll definitely have to look in to. 
    It turns out to be a pretty low pressure good time. You get to cook whatever you want, and serve it however you want.  Some people (* cough cough *) increase the level of complication of theirr until it is a crippling experience, but that isn't the norm.

To have a good time cooking, all it takes is:
    • Pick a cook that can be scaled
    • Identify and pack all of your favorite implements, cutting boards, etc., as it a PITA not to have your tongs, or a mixing bowl, etc.
    • Buy stacks of disposable storage tubs (ziploc or the like) and do as much portioning and prepping at home as is reasonable
    • Don't forget something to serve it on (little plates or whatever)
    • Bring water AND beer, both in larger quantities than you might expect
    Two pairs of hands can do this easily, unless you just go nuts on menu.

Jump on in.  The water's warm
    (now only 16 stone)

Joule SV
    GE induction stove

Austin, TX
  • Hotch
    Hotch Posts: 3,564
    Options
    The Space City Eggfest has to be one of the best ones yet. The location is great, well organized, lots of room and absolutely has the best support for both the cooks and the tasters. The ACE Hardware crew were great.
    We cooked Scottie's Balls, Texas Jambalaya, Margarita Mini Cones and this Eggfest we cooked Watermelon Mini Cones for the kids. I think they were well received.
    I got to take a few pics on Friday night. No time on Fest day for pics.

This one is on the calendar for years to come!!
    Large BGE, MiniMAX BGE, 2 Mini BGE's, R&V Fryer, 36" Blackstone Griddle, Camp Chef Dual Burner 40K BTU Stove
    BGE Chiminea
    Prosper, TX
  • Hotch
    Hotch Posts: 3,564
    Options
    And @caliking did drain the Margarita machine!
    Large BGE, MiniMAX BGE, 2 Mini BGE's, R&V Fryer, 36" Blackstone Griddle, Camp Chef Dual Burner 40K BTU Stove
    BGE Chiminea
    Prosper, TX
  • Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,518
    Options
    @20stone no pictures of the crowd favourite kathi rolls? I'm stealing it for my upcoming Toronto eggfest cook, been picking @caliking 's brain. Too bad only 1 helper max is allowed here ;(
    canuckland
  • 20stone
    Options
    @20stone no pictures of the crowd favourite kathi rolls? I'm stealing it for my upcoming Toronto eggfest cook, been picking @caliking 's brain. Too bad only 1 helper max is allowed here ;(
    Kathi rolls are a handful (yuk yuk) with only one helper.  It is really an "it takes a village" sort of dish, though we banged them out with two of us a couple of years ago.
    (now only 16 stone)

Joule SV
    GE induction stove

Austin, TX
  • 20stone
    Options
    Me, Mike and @caliking under the tent as the bulgogi were going on.  I don't have any food pics either

(now only 16 stone)

Joule SV
    GE induction stove

Austin, TX
  • Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,518
    Options
    apology to OP for thread jacking. @20stone I hear you about the labour intensive part, we may cut corners by omitting the omelette layer and using raw onion  :)
    canuckland
  • 20stone
    Options
    apology to OP for thread jacking. @20stone I hear you about the labour intensive part, we may cut corners by omitting the omelette layer and using raw onion  :)
    Omitting the egg will be a huge labor savor, and greatly ease production flow.  The onions not so much, since they can be done in advance.  However, you can make a case that the fresh onion adds a little bite.
    (now only 16 stone)

Joule SV
    GE induction stove

Austin, TX
  • HoustonEgger
    HoustonEgger Posts: 616
    Options
    We were there from about 1030-1130, didn't spend that much time because of the kiddo. Great to see everyone and try some new dishes. I like the location & the fact that there's more to do in the immediate area. 

Formerly of Houston, TX - Now Located in Bastrop, TX
    I work in the 'que business now (since 2017)

6 Eggs: (1) XL, (2) Large, (1) Small, (1) Minimax & (1) Mini - Egging since 2007
    Also recently gained: (1) Gas Thing (came with the house), (1) 36" Blackstone Griddle & (1) Pitts & Spitts Pellet Smoker
  • Austin  Egghead
    Austin Egghead Posts: 3,966
    Options
    We had a great time and Ace really pampered us cooks. The water brigade kept us really hydrated.  
    Thanks to all who worked to make this fest a keeper.  See ya next year

@C130 come earlier next year, or better yet be a cook.  In our area there was only 1 egg that didn't have a cook.  Someone ended up with a brand new demo.

Large, small and mini now Egging in Rowlett Tx
  • EggObsessed
    EggObsessed Posts: 786
    Options
    It was an outstanding Eggfest!  Troy, and all of his team at Ace, thought of every single thing that the cooks could want or need.  They had plenty of ice on hand to keep the coolers purring along, kept offerering bottled water/drinks to us, asking us if we needed anything.  Amazing!  My greatest appreciation goes out to all of them.  We'll definitely look forward to next year!
    Kelley 
    Egging with No Joke Smoke (Bruce), enjoying small town life in Brenham, TX., the home of Blue Bell Ice Cream.  BGEs: XL, Medium,  1 MiniMax. 36" CookRite Commercial Griddle, and a Shirley Smoker.
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    Hotch said:
    And @caliking did drain the Margarita machine!
    That thing was already tapped when I got there. That's my story and I'm sticking to it!

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • caliking
    Options
    20stone said:
    Omitting the egg will be a huge labor savor, and greatly ease production flow.  The onions not so much, since they can be done in advance.  However, you can make a case that the fresh onion adds a little bite.
    +1. No egg if you don't have more manpower. 

I think onions done fajita-style (whatever the technical term is) = sauteed but not caramelized, with a little crunch left, would be great.

And definitely prep as much as you can ahead of time.  

• caliking
    Options
    And +1000 for the strong showing by the Alspaugh's Ace Hardware team. The cooks were downright pampered - cold water and drinks brought around every 20-30mins, bags of ice available, neat swag bag, etc.

And I totally loved being able to park right behind our cooking spot.

When is SCE2??? I'm gonna be there! 

• egger ave
    Options
    caliking said:
    And +1000 for the strong showing by the Alspaugh's Ace Hardware team. The cooks were downright pampered - cold water and drinks brought around every 20-30mins, bags of ice available, neat swag bag, etc.

And I totally loved being able to park right behind our cooking spot.

When is SCE2??? I'm gonna be there! 
    Couldn't agree more about the ice and parking and volunteers, the best yet, I heard about you and the margarita machine, can't confirm or deny. We had a great time and will be back next year.

Albert Einstein
  • Navymom
    Navymom Posts: 167
    edited May 2016
    Options
    It was a great event. We got there early and took a while to find the actual location and then to find parking. Parking for attendees might need to be addressed if this event gets bigger, especially for the late comers.

Wear maroon, live maroon, bleed maroon.
    Fightin' Texas Aggies Fly Navy.
    Denton TX
  • Baine
    Baine Posts: 19
    Options
    What a day it was. Our team, friends and family had a great time with everyone involved. We're already plotting our next Eggfest. Cannot wait to get together with you all again!
  • caliking
    Options
    @EggObsessed - I forgot to mention that the picanha was excellent. I probably could have eaten a whole skewer of that by myself.