Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

I Blame Everyone Here..... :-)

Options
Roadkill
Roadkill Posts: 29
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I personally want to blame each and everyone on this site for making me upgrade to a Large BGE. The posts on this site contain some kind of subliminal conditioning. My Weber Bullet had a little too much rust so I decided to research new equipment. I have always been curios about the ceramic cookers, so I read all of the archives back through 2005 and I was convinced. I obtained a LBGE, with Nest, Eggmates and Plate Sitter. Any advice for a new Egghead? Right now I am planning out my meal schedule for the upcoming four day weekend. [p]01) Saturday - Burgers and Roasted Corn on the Cob.
02) Sunday - Spatchcock Chicken and Grilled Veggies
03) Monday – Rib eye Steaks with Baked Pineapple for Desert
04) Tuesday – Ribs, Hotlinks, Sides, and Fruit Pies.[p]Thanks a lot

Comments

• MasterMason
    MasterMason Posts: 243
    Options
    Road Kill,[p]yes, I have some advice... start saving for that next large you'll want shortly.... So you could be doing a pulled pork or brisket when your doing those burgers, or baking bread or making sides for the ribs etc... :)
  • Unknown
    Options
    Heh, I've had my LBGE for about a month. Like you, I've been trying *everything*--meats, casseroles, deserts. It's all been really good. There have been two exceptional (and surprising) standouts though:[p]* Brats are absolutely incredible on the BGE. A nice pleasant crisp exterior and juicy inside. (like biting into a high quality dill pickle) I haven't been able to get that texture on the gas grill.[p]* Tilapia was fantastic as well. Normally my wife doesn't like the fish I cook. Now she's wanting to have fish at least once a week for "good health & nutrition".
  • egginator
    egginator Posts: 569
    Options
    Road Kill,[p]Try to fit in a baked potato. Coat with olive oil and sprinklt with kosher salt. Bake at 350 for an hour direct, flipping once. Wrap in tinfoil when done and store in an icechest with lors of towels while you cook your burgers or whatever. They'll stay hot for an hour. They are easy, cook right along side a chicken and are great. Twice bake them if you want to go the extra mile.[p]Ed
  • CT Grillguy
    CT Grillguy Posts: 149
    Options
    Road Kill,[p]Welcome! You should make sure to do a batch of smoked salt. Dump a bunch of Kosher salt or Sea Salt crystals on some aluminum foil and make a pouch. Punch a big hole in the top of the pouch and set it on your grid off to the side when you do a smoke cook (or by itself if you have nothing better to do) and smoke it for a while. Now you have a nice batch of smoked salt to use in seasoning! Buy a nice little salt grinder just for that smoked stuff. It's worth it.
  • Smokey
    Smokey Posts: 2,468
    Options
    Road Kill,[p]OK, OK ... it's all our fault, but we only did because we love ya' man. [p]Think of it as tough love ... you know, it's a "<font color="#FF0000">this will hurt me more than it will hurt you</em></font>" kind of thing!![p]Have a great 4th![p]Smokey
  • BrianP
    BrianP Posts: 147
    Options
    Road Kill,
    If you like Italian food you must try a lasagne or any other baked pasta dish (ziti, etc,). The slight smokey flavor really enhances the dish. Since I tried it, my wife won't cook one in the kitchen oven anymore.[p]Oh - also give pizza a try.[p]Brian

• Gold Wing
    Gold Wing Posts: 9
    Options
    Road Kill,[p]You've got it bad, real bad. Congratulations![p]I don't think you'll need much advice. Enjoy.[p]Joe

• Clay Q
    Clay Q Posts: 4,486
    Options
    Road Kill,
    Welcome! Your adjustment to the egg from the bullet will be easy. You don't need the water pail anymore, just the occasional half a bottle of beer in the drip pan for a few slow cooks. The egg is the best smoker, you will soon find out! I had a bullet for years and I struggled in winter so I wrapped the thing in blankets. No more blankets. With the egg, it laughs at the cold. Well anyway, this egg stuff is sooooo much fun.
    Your journey has begun.
    Have a great weekend!
    Clay

• Gretl
    Gretl Posts: 670
    Options
    Road Kill,
    Sounds like you'd better order an additional Egg or two! Have fun.
    Cheers,
    Gretl

• Roadkill
    Options
    BrianP,[p]I used to run a Pizza restaurant. I love a great baked lasagne; that is an excellent idea. I am really excited to try baking on it.[p]:-)
  • Roadkill
    Options
    CT Grillguy,[p]I will definately do that. I depend alot upon different salts for flavor; that will be a great addition to the aresenal.[p]Thanks
  • Unknown
    Options
    Road Kill, I brought my large egg home from the Texas Egg Fest a little over a month ago and already feel like an old hand at using it. Like you, I cooked on a WSM before I made the change. I can't begin to tell you how much better the egg is than any other cooker. There is essentially no clean-up. I'll offer only a few words of advice: 1. Always use a good grade of lump; all lump is not born equal and the good kind produces very little ash and burns well. 2. Let your temp come up slowly by opening the bottom vent only about an inch and then gradually making adjustments to let it go higher. If you open it wide up and let it get blazing hot, it takes a long time to get the temp back down by closing off the vents and waiting a long time. 3. Cook on it often and you will soon come to understand how to control the temp and cook to profection. 4. Ask questions on this Forum when you need help; they are experienced and willing.