Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Did you have a cracked base? If so, what did you do with it?

Options
Sea2Ski
Sea2Ski Posts: 4,088
edited May 2016 in EggHead Forum
The base of my large cracked back in January, maybe February, I can't remember.  I do know that it sits in the garage right where I put it when the new base arrived.  Now, I do not know what to do with it. I really do not need a planter that big, and it would not fit in the landscape if I did. Secondly, I can not think of anything else to do with it. I am a handy guy. I can cut, grind, weld or build anything; but for the life of me, I can not think of a use for this cracked base. Any thoughts?  I would love some creative ideas. Or do I just take a small sledge to it and toss out the chunks in the trash piece by piece?
--------------------------------------------------
Burning lump in Downingtown, PA or diesel in Cape May, NJ.
....just look for the smoke!
Large and MiniMax

Caliking said:   Meat in bung is my favorite. 

Comments

• Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,615
    Options
    Fire pit?

my cracked XL base will be planted with herbs when I swap it out
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,615
    Options
    You can always paint it if green is the problem.
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Pepper and herb garden. Works great. 
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,888
    Options
    My dealer has a cracked L base at the entrance of his store with the most beautiful assortment of colorful flowers.
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • 1move
    1move Posts: 516
    Options
    I have one as well and was planing on using it for a fire pit. 
    XLBGE, MMBGE, CyberQ
  • FATC1TY
    FATC1TY Posts: 888
    Options
    This is what I'm gonna do if my base will come out in one part from the nest.

Going to use it as a planter on the side of the backyard for herbs to use while we are cooking on our eggs.
    -FATC1TY
    Grillin' and Brewing in Atlanta
    LBGE
    MiniMax
  • Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,515
    Options
    build a tandoor  =)
    canuckland
  • Sea2Ski
    Sea2Ski Posts: 4,088
    edited May 2016
    Options
    I do not need a fire pit, I already have one. I guess there are a lot of green planets out there.  I might need to reconsider this option.

A tandoor...  I do not think that is a realistic option for me. I never even thought about cooking in one yet alone build one. But I like the out of the box thinking!! 
    Burning lump in Downingtown, PA or diesel in Cape May, NJ.
    ....just look for the smoke!
    Large and MiniMax

Caliking said:   Meat in bung is my favorite. 
  • Jstroke
    Jstroke Posts: 2,600
    Options
    Build a live edge top and use it as a coffee or end table. Not sure how bad the crack is. 
    Columbus, Ohio--A Gasser filled with Matchlight and an Ugly Drum.
  • blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    Options
    Jstroke said:
    Build a live edge top and use it as a coffee or end table. Not sure how bad the crack is. 

Not sure what a "live edge" is, but a coffee table base for the patio is a terrific idea. 

Another idea, some type of fountain or water feature. 

Phoenix 
  • XLentEGG
    XLentEGG Posts: 436
    Options
    I'm still using my XL cracked base , and chipped dome ,and cracked firebox. HOWEVER , :-) , I have all new parts waiting in a corner for the day it all just lets go. My local dealer took care of me with the warranty and since i waited for him to order stock , no shipping costs to me.
    More meat please !! :-)
  • dougcrann
    dougcrann Posts: 1,129
    Options
    Have 3. One of the XL'S got turned into an Egg...used a cracked firebox, a cracked fire ring and the low dome that got replaced with the newer high dome. The other 2 will be turned into planters...some year...
  • Jupiter Jim
    Jupiter Jim Posts: 3,351
    Options
    I have a Mini that is still working only because it is so mush work to switch out the new base!!!!!!!! But when I have time and energy to take on such a big job the cracked base will be a planter for sure. :)

I'm only hungry when I'm awake!

Okeechobee FL. Winter

West Jefferson NC Summer

• Jupiter Jim
    Options
    dougcrann said:
    Have 3. One of the XL'S got turned into an Egg...used a cracked firebox, a cracked fire ring and the low dome that got replaced with the newer high dome. The other 2 will be turned into planters...some year...
    Just wondering if you paid shipping for all of those parts?

Okeechobee FL. Winter

West Jefferson NC Summer

• northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    Boat anchor!
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    edited May 2016
    Options
    Would make a nice fire for an Auspit or Spitjack, pounded in the ground next to it.  You could bag the rotis up for storage after use.  
    I want one of those large spitmates Auspit sells.
    https://youtu.be/PH1I4vUt_C8

Use it as a firepit too.  Build some kind of enclosure around the base to keep it from tipping, house the rotis, and maintain the airflow to the draft door.  You'd have to play the wind to your advantage wherever you decide to place it.

You can buy or build pots and boxes for plants and herbs.  

Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• westernbbq
    westernbbq Posts: 2,490
    Options
    I have a cracked xl base that serves as a spare, picked up a dome last summer in san diego and all i need is a firebox for the xl and ill have two functional xl bges.  The cracked one will only be used for low n slow cooks should i ever need that much capacity.  Its the egg in the background corner on my profile picture.   The guy didnt have the firebox anymore and if he did i would really be in business.  I have an extra fire ring that was replaced under warranty and an xl platesetter, also replaced under warranty
  • BOWHUNR
    BOWHUNR Posts: 1,487
    Options
    The base on my first large cracked two years ago and I have the replacement, but have just been too lazy to install a new Rutland and replace it.  My thought was use it for growing herbs or load it up with a couple pounds of Tannerite and shoot it with my .375 H&H to give it a proper send off.

Mike

I'm ashamed what I did for a Klondike Bar!!

Omaha, NE
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    I have 2 cracked XL bases. One we use for a herb planter on the deck. The other is sitting in the shed. I was planning to use it for a planter as well, but don't have room for it on the deck now (too many cookers on there).
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • Tjcoley
    Tjcoley Posts: 3,551
    Options
    How about a prep table?

Options
    Tjcoley said:
    How about a prep table?

Very nice I would do that if I had a cracked large base already have the extra nest.

Okeechobee FL. Winter

West Jefferson NC Summer

• shtgunal3
    shtgunal3 Posts: 5,647
    Options
    How about a worm bed?  :)

LBGE,SBGE, and a Mini makes three......Sweet home Alabama........ Stay thirsty my friends .