Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Looking to add a bigger cooker to the family - $4,000 budget

Options
Finally ready to pull the trigger on this big purchase... I have experience on BGE's and reverse flow stick burners.. will be using it for my growing catering business and eventual competitions. 

I know I posted a question like this a while back.. but I am now ready to make the purchase and want to be sure I do all of the necessary research and get some advice from folks with more experience.

Thanks
Large BGE
36" BlackStone
Backwoods G2 Party
Yard full of other stuff to cook on

RVA -> Chesapeake Va
Professional Drinker & Home Cook

Comments

• DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,174
    Options
    Vertical insulated cabinet smoker. 
  • EggSmokeVa
    EggSmokeVa Posts: 378
    Options
    Any particular recommendation? I have heard good things about LoneStar
    Large BGE
    36" BlackStone
    Backwoods G2 Party

RVA -> Chesapeake Va
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    edited May 2016
    Options
    I don't know much about these but I agree with double...if I were ever to make the jump I would be leaning towards a vertical insulated like this:

http://pitmaker.com/product/vin/?vin=23362368

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• EggSmokeVa
    Options
    @SmokeyPitt thank you.. I will add them to the list and check it out. The real debate for me is between insulated cabinet or stick burner.. I will eventually own both.. just need to decide which one to get first lol
    Large BGE
    36" BlackStone
    Backwoods G2 Party

RVA -> Chesapeake Va
  • Firemanyz
    Firemanyz Posts: 907
    Options
    Where in VA are you?  Check out meadow creek they are in Pennsylvania. They normally have an open house during the summer. 

http://www.meadowcreekbbq.com/
  • EggSmokeVa
    Options
    @Firemanyz I am in Suffolk va.. hampton roads area.. i just saw a Meadow Creek water cooker used on sale for $3,000
    Large BGE
    36" BlackStone
    Backwoods G2 Party

RVA -> Chesapeake Va
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Any particular recommendation? I have heard good things about LoneStar
    Pitmaker vault. 
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • dougcrann
    dougcrann Posts: 1,129
    Options
    Contact Paul athttp://www.shirleyfabrication.com/
    For a beautiful Reverse Flow built to your specs. I think they may be on a bit of a break...seen him mention something about going to New York for "Fleet Week" or something of that nature. Have never heard of one complaint about Shirleys cookers...
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    I don't know much about these but I agree with double...if I were ever to make the jump I would be leaning towards a vertical insulated like this:

http://pitmaker.com/product/vin/?vin=23362368

cazzy and SGH both have one. I've been to the shop where they make them in Houston. Great cookers for the money. Shirley's are great- no doubt. They are sold out through November or something like that. If you are doing this for a job I highly recommend getting something you don't have to tend to every half hour (stick burners). The vault is like a giant egg in a way. Once it's set, it will cruise all night with no tenidng. It can run on a bbq guru so you can even control it offsite. If I were buying it for competition, as stick burner would win hands down. If I were buying it for commercial use, I would get a Vault.

The vault guys win a lot of comps but I still think a stick burner would edge it out in most cases for pure bbq. I know SGH will more than gladly talk to you for hours about his vaults and stick burners to help you make the right call.

• Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    Options
    Depends on how far you'll go to pick it up.  
    Shipping alone would be a deal breaker.

For me, it would be a Meat Monster in IL.  Best pit around hands down.  

More than double budget though.

Recently saw a meat monster with santa marie grill custom for 16Gs used.  Worth every penny.  Probably the best pit I've come across on CL.  You would build the business/menu around a pit like this, same as a commercial WFO.  Overkill for the backyarder like myself, but tempting.
    Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Focker said:
    Depends on how far you'll go to pick it up.  
    Shipping alone would be a deal breaker.

For me, it would be a Meat Monster in IL.  Best pit around hands down.  

More than double budget though.

Recently saw a meat monster with santa marie grill custom for 16Gs used.  Worth every penny.  Probably the best pit I've come across on CL.  You would build the business/menu around a pit like this, same as a commercial WFO.  Overkill for the backyarder like myself, but tempting.
    would love to have one. great cooker for sure.

• EggSmokeVa
    Options
    @The Cen-Tex Smoker thanks.. Yes @SGH has been very helpful multiple times for me lol I've been having this discussion for a while but now it's time to pony up the cash and make a choice..
    Large BGE
    36" BlackStone
    Backwoods G2 Party

RVA -> Chesapeake Va
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    @The Cen-Tex Smoker thanks.. Yes @SGH has been very helpful multiple times for me lol I've been having this discussion for a while but now it's time to pony up the cash and make a choice..
    If you are thinking of a Vault I think Cazzy might be looking to move his to get a large stick burner. He's right there in Houston where Pitmaker is and you might be able to save a few $. It's bareley 2 years old if that.

• BamaEGG
    BamaEGG Posts: 170
    Options
    Hands down without question get a Stump.
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,348
    Options
    I was in the market for a new cooker for my birthday a few weeks ago.

I looked at lots of makes/types but kept going back to look at the Lone Star Grillz vertical insulated cabinets.

Ultimately I decided that I didn't need the capacity of even their mini so I went in a different direction but if I were actually wanting something with lots of capacity I would definitely go with the Lone Star Grilz vertical insulated cabinet.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• GregW
    GregW Posts: 2,677
    Options
    I really want one of these:
    http://www.deepsouthsmokers.com/home.html
    I want the GC28
    These are gravity feed charcoal fired smokers.
    They have the easy temp control of the egg with much higher cooking capacity.
  • shucker
    shucker Posts: 483
    Options
    I have a couple of backwoods insulated reverse flow cabinet smokers I'm getting ready to sell if you're interested.  I'm only an hour from Suffolk. 

Shucker
    Eastern North Carolina
    Go Pirates!

http://facebook.com/oldcolonysmokehouse

https://www.instagram.com/oldcolonysmokehouse/

L & MM BGE/Blackstone 36" Griddle/Pit Barrel Cooker/QDS/Shirley Fab 50" Patio/BQ Grills Hog Cooker/Stump's Classic/Weber 22" OTG

• EggSmokeVa
    Options
    I'm definitely interested to hear more about it.. Which ones do you have? Got pics? @shucker
    Large BGE
    36" BlackStone
    Backwoods G2 Party

RVA -> Chesapeake Va
  • beteez
    beteez Posts: 548
    Options
    Stumps Gravity fed