Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Broke the plate setter, place setter.

Options
Hi everyon . My plate setter broke, I don't know how but now I need another one. I have the bge xl and was wondering what are other options for indirect cooking other than the bge plate setter?  Thanks in advanced. 
Alex

Comments

• Jstroke
    Jstroke Posts: 2,600
    Options
    Go to ceramic grill store for adjustable rig or woo2  Or--another grid, a pizza stone, the fire bricks, and another grid. Plate setters break. I wouldn't replace it. The legs tend to snap off.
    Columbus, Ohio--A Gasser filled with Matchlight and an Ugly Drum.
  • Hungry Joe
    Hungry Joe Posts: 1,567
    Options
    Jstroke said:
    Go to ceramic grill store for adjustable rig or woo2  Or--another grid, a pizza stone, the fire bricks, and another grid. Plate setters break. I wouldn't replace it. The legs tend to snap off.

I have one plate setter over 10 years old and another one at least 8 years old that sit in the elements until I need them and never had a problem.

With that said, I also have two woo's and an adjustable rig, so I maybe I do have problems. :oB) 

I do use them all :)
  • The_Stache
    The_Stache Posts: 1,153
    Options
    If you can figure out how to make a LGE plate setter fit in your X-LGE I'll send you mine for free....  I've been wooed by the WOO in my Large and MM...
    Kirkland, TN
    2 LBGE, 1 MM

• Hungry Joe
    Hungry Joe Posts: 1,567
    Options
    If you can figure out how to make a LGE plate setter fit in your X-LGE I'll send you mine for free....  I've been wooed by the WOO in my Large and MM...
    Isn't the woo intended to use with the plate setter? I like that set up when I have a drip pan, it makes for easy removal. I use a couple machine nuts to create an air space between the plate setter and the drip pan which stops the drippings from burning.
  • Jupiter Jim
    Jupiter Jim Posts: 3,351
    Options
    You have 3 options, BGE plate setter replacement it works as you already know, Ceramic Grill store adjustable rig/spider/pizza stone that has many more options and a woo with pizza stone. I have the plate setter and use for baking and pizzas. Also have the adjustable rig and use it for multi level cooks both direct and indirect.

I'm only hungry when I'm awake!

Okeechobee FL. Winter

West Jefferson NC Summer

• Jlash3
    Jlash3 Posts: 3
    Options
    Mine cracked cleanly in half after about a year of use.  Sat it on the ground with two hands and OH NO!  Never banged it around or anything, it just failed. They eventually warrantied it, but I like using the plate setter and with some get togethers coming up soon bought a cast iron one.  It won't break, and it heats up quicker than the ceramic model.  Let's say you want to sear a roast and quickly switch to indirect, it gets you back up to temp quicker than the ceramic. If you put it in legs down it has an awesome cooking surface that you can cook about anything on, steaks, fatties even burgers.  Just another option to consider.

• bgeaddikt
    bgeaddikt Posts: 503
    edited May 2016
    Options
    @The_stache do you know if the Lbge platesetter can maybe be cut or modded to fit in a minimax? Im looking for an alternative also but on the minimax
    Austin, Tx
  • Jupiter Jim
    Jupiter Jim Posts: 3,351
    Options
    Jlash3 I forgot about the cast iron plate setter and I have one! Won it at the NC Butt Blast have only used it a few times and like it very much. Need to go legs down and do steaks or burgers though. 

I'm only hungry when I'm awake!

Okeechobee FL. Winter

West Jefferson NC Summer

• THEBuckeye
    THEBuckeye Posts: 4,231
    Options
    Jstroke said:

I have one plate setter over 10 years old and another one at least 8 years old that sit in the elements until I need them and never had a problem.

With that said, I also have two woo's and an adjustable rig, so I maybe I do have problems. :oB) 

I do use them all :)
    Mo Money Mo Problems
    New Albany, Ohio 

• bgeaddikt
    bgeaddikt Posts: 503
    Options
    They dont make a cast iron platesetter of the Minimax do they?
    Austin, Tx