Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Rack of lamb help

Some friends are coming over and bringing rack of lamb with them, and they want me to egg it.  Never cooked rack of lamb before.  Recommendations?

Comments

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,167
    Numerous seasoning options via google.  I go raised direct (350-375*F) turning every 3-5 minutes or so to around 125*F-it will carry-over to about 130*F. Then slice and serve.  Great cook and banquet.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Darby_Crenshaw
    Darby_Crenshaw Posts: 2,657
    i would trim it and french it, if not already.  a LOT of fat on lamb. 
    [social media disclaimer: irony and sarcasm may be used in some or all of user's posts; emoticon usage is intended to indicate moderately jocular social interaction; the comments toward users, their usernames, and the real people (living or dead) that they refer to are not intended to be adversarial in nature; those replying to this user are entering into a tacit agreement that they are real-life or social-media acquaintances and/or have agreed to or tacitly agreed to perpetrate occasional good-natured ribbing between and among themselves and others]

• Rascal
    Rascal Posts: 3,923
    After frenching, I slather the lamb with 'Country Dijon' mustard,  arrange the racks with the rib bones up and interlocked in a pan or foil base.  Bake @ 350 to 125-130 for medium rare.
  • buzd504
    buzd504 Posts: 3,824
    Love lamb and racks are hard to screw up as long as you don't overcook.  I agree about trimming them.
    NOLA
  • Sea2Ski
    Sea2Ski Posts: 4,088
    I love lamb.  Love it and cook it a lot.
    The rack is an easy cook. Trim the fat as Darby stated!  Burning lamb fat is no bueno.  

Rub with just a bit of EVOO, salt and pepper and rosemary.  If you have Dizzy Pig red eye express, that is a perfect rub for lamb.  Let it sit out for an hour or so then on the grill indirect and catch the fat at 350. Or if you have the time and can pay attention to the cook, reverse sear, 225 to 100-105 then 450 indirect.

Careful - it cooks fast. Monitor internal temp closely. Let us know how you made out.  With pictures....

--------------------------------------------------
    Burning lump in Downingtown, PA or diesel in Cape May, NJ.
    ....just look for the smoke!
    Large and MiniMax
    --------------------------------------------------

Caliking said:   Meat in bung is my favorite. 
  • eggingitup
    eggingitup Posts: 25
    edited May 2016
    Agree with this: Rub with just a bit of EVOO, salt and pepper and rosemary (also finely chopped garlic and maybe some splashes of balsamic vinegar if you like this type of flavor) I usually like to do reverse sear method to preferred temperature by going 225 indirect then sear it at highest temperature direct to give it a nice crust. One of my favorites. 
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Agree with all the above. Lamb cries out for garlic and rosemary. Mince both fresh and mix with good olive oil. S & P then rub with garlic-Rosemary. Cook direct turning once to medium rare. It's a fairly quick cook. Let us know and good luck brother
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • Toxarch
    Toxarch Posts: 1,900
    I do rack of lamb every so often. All of the above is good info. Definitely French the rack. Dijon mustard coating with minced garlic and fresh chopped rosemary is always good. I did one once where I seared it and then did a panko, garlic, and rosemary crust and baked it. My dad loves rack of lamb and he said that was the best one he had ever had. Said anytime I cooked it for him from then on, that was how he wanted it. I had the recipe on my old phone. I'll see if I can find it.
    Aledo, Texas
    Large BGE
    KJ Jr.

Exodus 12:9 KJV
    Eat not of it raw, nor sodden at all with water, but roast with fire; his head with his legs, and with the purtenance thereof.