Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

HOMEMADE DRY RUB

Options
GASGUY
GASGUY Posts: 111

Have tried wide variety of commercial rubs. Most are OK, but at times too salty. Looking to be able to make my own. Not looking for family secrets, but just wondering what is basic ingredients and amounts I could mix together to get a decent dry rub for BB ribs, pork butt, etc.

Comments

• jtcBoynton
    jtcBoynton Posts: 2,814
    edited May 2016
    Options
    A good source is:
    http://amazingribs.com/recipes/rubs_pastes_marinades_and_brines/index.html

I use some of them. Its a good place to start.

Southeast Florida - LBGE
    In cooking, often we implement steps for which we have no explanations other than ‘that’s what everybody else does’ or ‘that’s what I have been told.’  Dare to think for yourself.

• GASGUY
    Options

Great site, thanks

• dougcrann
    dougcrann Posts: 1,129
    Options
    1/2 cup packed brown sugar, 4 tablespoons + 1/2 teaspoon paprika, 4 teaspoons coarse black pepper, 1/2 teaspoon chili powder, 2 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder, 2 1/2 teaspoon onion powder, 1/2 teaspoon cayenne powder, 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt, 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon. 
    Keep it in a zip bag in the freezer. Not overly spicyou, not overly sweet. Excellent bark formation. We use it on ribs, never a reason to sauce them. 
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    If you have any commercial rubs that you like, but wish they had less sodium (for me, most of them), Google recipe Prudhomme blackened redfish for example. Or recipe Montreal Steak. Or chicken rub (generic). You will probably find some good ones. Just leave out (or reduce) the salt.

I found one Creole vegetable seasoning blend that made 1 1/2 cups and contained 6 Tbls of salt!! I made 1/4 of the mix (which would have been 4 1/2 tsp of salt) and used just 1 tsp. Second batch, I left out the salt all together. Both tasted great for someone who is used to a reduced sodium diet. Can't imagine what the full sodium blend would have tasted like! Sacrilege, I know... Creole with no salt?! =)

One of my favorite ways to find stuff is to search Foodgawker.com. If I want a good grilled pork chop recipe for example, I'll search for it there, then scroll down the page until I see one I like the look of. Click on the pic and it will take you to the recipe. Not always a winner, but usually. https://foodgawker.com/?s=grilled+pork+chop

My favorite for pork butt is... 1 Tbls each of salt, sugar, brown sugar, cumin, chili powder and black pepper plus 1 Tsp cayenne. Been using it for years. (Since cutting back on salt, I reduced the tablespoon of salt down to 1 tsp.)

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    I make my own rub sans salt. I use low sodium soy sauce as the wetting, prior to adding the rub. It works very well.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • jlsm
    jlsm Posts: 1,011
    Options
    Look up Mickey's coffee rub. 
    Owner of a large and a beloved mini in Philadelphia
  • johnnyp
    johnnyp Posts: 3,932
    Options
    Dizzy pig makes a couple salt free rubs
    XL & MM BGE, 36" Blackstone - Newport News, VA
  • bigbadben
    bigbadben Posts: 397
    Options
    I took a page from Bobby Flays book and grabbed one of his rubs that I use a good bit. 

3 tablespoons chili powder
    1 tablespoon ground cumin
    1 tablespoon ground coriander

great on chicke and pork. 
  • Zmokin
    Zmokin Posts: 1,938
    Options
    I'm an experimenter, and like to make my own almost everything including rubs.

Partially because I want to minimize sodium and eliminate MSG.

anything in the spice rack is fair game to mix in.  You can google rubs but you can also google different ethnic seasonings to see what Asian cuisine likes to use, Mexican, Italian, or any other ethnicity you have a hankering to try.  sugar if you want sweetness, acidic items if you want sour.

IMO, it is very hard to go wrong.
    Large BGE in a Sole' Gourmet Table
    Using the Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter,
     and a BBQ Guru temp controller.

Medium BGE in custom modified off-road nest.
    Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter, and a Party-Q temp controller.

• marysvilleegger
    Options
    1 1/4 cup brown sugar
    1/3 cup kosher salt
    1/4 cup granulated garlic
    1 tblsp chili powder
    1/2 tblsp cayenne
    1 tblsp lemon pepper
    1 tblsp onion powder 
    2 tsp ground mustard 
    2 tsp black pepper
    1/2 tsp white pepper 
    1tsp cinnamon 
  • logchief
    logchief Posts: 1,415
    Options
    A good source is:
    http://amazingribs.com/recipes/rubs_pastes_marinades_and_brines/index.html

I use some of them. Its a good place to start.

I also use Meathead's recipes, much rather make my own.  I like the Memphis Dust on pork butts too.
    LBGE - I like the hot stuff.  The big dry San Joaquin Valley, Clovis, CA 
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Options
    Know it is not what you asked, but, John Henry has a rub called "Judy's Favorite Seasoning" it is salt free. Ordered some as SWMBO is a Judy. We use it often and sometimes add some kosher salt. It is very cost effective. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • GratefulJason
    GratefulJason Posts: 37
    edited May 2016
    Options
    It seems that a lot of rub recipes follow a standard formula. One part bland-ish ingredient (generic paprika, for example), a bunch of half parts flavorful additions (garlic powder, onion powder, mild herbs/spices, cumin), and spiked with a 1/4 part of flavor punches (cayenne, white pepper, etc). Depending on your cook, you may or may not want to add some sugar. Low and slow? 1 part brown or turbinado. Med high sear? 1/4 part. Super high temp sear? None necessary.

I just like to mix and match.  
  • Darby_Crenshaw
    Darby_Crenshaw Posts: 2,657
    Options
    We like to mix it up. Literally and figuratively 

but the idea is never to replicate and record measurements so that it's the same each time. 

Usually there is a little left over from the last batch and we just add to that. Handful of this, heavy sprinkle of that...

sure. Would be nice to do the same cook over and over and nail it each time. But our kids will say "man. These ribs are even better than the last ones." Or "these are good but not like the ones from the Fourth of July!"

recipes are great i suppose. But it can really be fun to try mixong stuff on the fly

Also. Eff Steven

[social media disclaimer: irony and sarcasm may be used in some or all of user's posts; emoticon usage is intended to indicate moderately jocular social interaction; the comments toward users, their usernames, and the real people (living or dead) that they refer to are not intended to be adversarial in nature; those replying to this user are entering into a tacit agreement that they are real-life or social-media acquaintances and/or have agreed to or tacitly agreed to perpetrate occasional good-natured ribbing between and among themselves and others]

• Firemanyz
    Firemanyz Posts: 907
    edited May 2016
    Options
    Ok so here are two that I have played with and tweeked a bit. The chicken is well liked at work. They want me to mix it up and sell it to them. I just mix it and take it in. As long as the meal fund pays for the ingredients I'll keep making it for us to use around the station. 

And I'm sure you could cut the salt back without any taste change. 

ENJOY

• GASGUY
    Options

Love this site, ask for ideas or suggestions and you a large variety of new things to try out ......thanks everyone.