Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Lump Charcoal

2»

Comments

• cortguitarman
    cortguitarman Posts: 2,061
    Humphrey is my lump of choice. I get it for just north of $12 per bag with a bulk buy.
    Mark Annville, PA
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    It's amazing the frequency with which this topic rears its ugly damned head.  RW fan here, but why would anyone care.  Burn what you like.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 18,942
    I have a guy who sells the best stuff out of his car trunk.  He swears it is made by unsullied Brazilian maidens in the interior forests of Venezuela.   Best stuff I have ever used.  Pricey, but it will turn choice brisket flats into SRF Gold packers.  Just simply amazing.
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    I have a guy who sells the best stuff out of his car trunk.  He swears it is made by unsullied Brazilian maidens in the interior forests of Venezuela.   Best stuff I have ever used.  Pricey, but it will turn choice brisket flats into SRF Gold packers.  Just simply amazing.
    I've heard of this very same guy.  Can never find the right parking lot.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • buzd504
    buzd504 Posts: 3,824

Love that guy.  He will also get scratches out of your paint job, almost like magic!
    NOLA
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,984
    bgebrent said:
    I've heard of this very same guy.  Can never find the right parking lot.
    Mixed with dry ice. I think heard him before?
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • Cluke
    Cluke Posts: 19
    Thanks for all the feedback.
  • DieselkW
    DieselkW Posts: 894
    How rare to find a lump thread!!
    Here's my back yard. See that bag next to the Egg?
    I don't always use Rockwood, but when I do, I can't taste it.

Indianapolis, IN

BBQ is a celebration of culture in America. It is the closest thing we have to the wines and cheeses of Europe. 

Drive a few hundred miles in any direction, and the experience changes dramatically. 

• Hans61
    Hans61 Posts: 3,901
    I don't like the thick  mesquite  lumps 
    “There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body.”
    Coach Finstock Teen Wolf
  • Mojobeerman
    Mojobeerman Posts: 12
    I like B&B hickory in the green bag at $15.99 a pop at Academy Sports. 
  • Mikee
    Mikee Posts: 892
    Cluke said:
    What other charcoal do you like to use besides the BGE brand?

I buy the same lump in the red bag called Royal Oak. About 1/2 the cost of Rockwood. I use a chimney starter and when I dump that, its burning clean. No 15 minutes of gray smoke. It is ready to go when dumped. Charcoal is basically charcoal; no real difference. Because lump charcoal is not 100% charcoal, there are differences. Most lump is only about 80% charcoal and that's why there are differences. The higher the content of charcoal of the lump the easier its able to break into smaller pieces during shipping. Getting larger pieces means it's less carbonized or was treated much better from the factory to your door.
  • n8er
    n8er Posts: 114
    WWW III
    Egging year 'round in North Dakota