Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Timing help

Hey all, I am cooking for about 20 people Saturday. I have a 7lb boston butt and 2x 3.5lb chuckies. I would like the boston butt to be done around noon, and the chuckies around 2 pm. A little earlier isn't a deal killer, but I digress. I have never cooked chuckies this small but my butcher said he prefers them on the smaller side. I plan to cook everything at 250*, no turbo on the butt, just straight through with a few hours to FTC. The chucks I am planning to smoke to 180* internal, then a beer and pepper braise to 210ish*. What time do you folks suggest I put these things on the egg? I was thinking 10pm for the butt, then 6 am for the chucks. Does that sound reasonable? I have only done pulled beef once before and it surprised me how long a 5lb roast took to cook. Any help or input would be awesome! Thanks guys!
Denver, CO

Comments

• SoCalTim
    SoCalTim Posts: 2,158
    I like your plan. Keep a cooler at the ready. Don't overthink, just enjoy the cook and praise you'll get later. Tim
    I've slow smoked and eaten so much pork, I'm legally recognized as being part swine - Chatsworth Ca.
  • Mantoothian
    Mantoothian Posts: 85
    @SoCalTim thanks. That's the attitude I try to maintain when egging. Just keep it simple. The stakes definitely get raised when cooking for 20 others though!
    Denver, CO
  • dougcrann
    dougcrann Posts: 1,129
    Have never been able the timing thing down. One butt I smoked ended up in a crockpot with apple juice for several hours. Was one of the better butts we made. 
  • DaveRichardson
    DaveRichardson Posts: 2,324
    Are you going to be monitoring temp remotely?  I'd be afraid of it not cooking fast enough.  At 250, I've had 7 pounders go 2 hrs per pound.  Be ready to kick the temps up if you need to.

LBGE #19 from North GA Eggfest, 2014

Stockbridge, GA - just south of Atlanta where we are covered up in Zombies!  #TheWalkingDead films practically next door!

• Mantoothian
    @daverichardson yeah I have a maverick and I'll set the alarms but I'm planning to be up early and fiddling with everything anyway
    Denver, CO
  • DaveRichardson
    DaveRichardson Posts: 2,324
    I've been able to sleep better using thermos for remote monitoring.  I like having one with both grate temp and meat temp.  Those alarms have saved my bacon a few times!!!!!

Egg on and have a good gathering!!!!  I've got a family member that lives downtown Denver; I've got to get out there at some point; haven't been to Denver since I was a kid!

LBGE #19 from North GA Eggfest, 2014

Stockbridge, GA - just south of Atlanta where we are covered up in Zombies!  #TheWalkingDead films practically next door!

• Mantoothian
    @daverichardson Yeah buddy! I'm excited that the weather here has finally warmed up and egging season is upon us! I think my friends are equally excited given how much I cook...
    Denver, CO
  • bboulier
    bboulier Posts: 558
    I would be tempted to go with a turbo cook.  Those are easier and also easier to time than cooking a lower temperatures.
    Weber Kettle, Weber Genesis Silver B, Medium Egg, KJ Classic (Black)
  • StillH2OEgger
    StillH2OEgger Posts: 3,745
    It won't hurt the chuckies if you need to crank up the heat. I think you're on the right path and if it's me I'd avoid going the turbo route if possible.
    Stillwater, MN