Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Our new hobby iS our new BGE. We really are neohytes to grilling. What is the best way to learn?

Options
We are in our 70’s so we need to learn quickly.  Living on borrowed time.

Comments

• bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    Welcome brother, y'all are in for some fun!  Peruse this forum, check out Thenakedwiz site and bbqbrethren.  All you need is here.  If you have a question, ask it here and you'll get at least one opinion, if not four.  Most are correct.  Have fun and always burp your egg.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    That's awesome. We are right here for you. Ask away.
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • chuckytheegghead
    chuckytheegghead Posts: 1,201
    Options
    Welcome aboard. Lots of information on here. 
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    and you are not alone on here or in the greater egg community.  Lots of 70-plussers on here and pretty active on the fest circuit too. You have found a good spot. where are you from?

Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • Battleborn
    Battleborn Posts: 3,355
    Options
    Get to it and do it. Best way to learn.
    Las Vegas, NV

• GregW
    GregW Posts: 2,677
    Options
    The only advice I can offer:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WxBZRFbSaDU

Beware the flashback.
  • Doc_Eggerton
    Doc_Eggerton Posts: 5,321
    Options
    A ceramic cooker is not really grilling, you have launched into something more sophisticated.  I recommend working your way up with simple cooks so you get the hang of temperature control and cooking with the dome closed.  If you're looking, your not cooking.  You can find lots of potential cooks just surfing here.  If you want to start the lust for fancier stuff get Charcuterie by Mike Rhulman.  Any of us would be happy for PMs if you have questions that you don't just want to throw out there, we are a friendly group.  Welcome aboard.

XXL #82 out of the first 100, XLGE X 2, LBGE (gave this one to daughter 1.0) , MBGE (now in the hands of iloveagoodyoke daughter 2.0) and lots of toys

• Dobie
    Dobie Posts: 3,361
    Options
    You found the source, ask away before its too late  =)
    Jacksonville FL
  • Doc_Eggerton
    Doc_Eggerton Posts: 5,321
    Options

XXL #82 out of the first 100, XLGE X 2, LBGE (gave this one to daughter 1.0) , MBGE (now in the hands of iloveagoodyoke daughter 2.0) and lots of toys

• Acn
    Acn Posts: 4,424
    Options
    bgebrent said:
    Welcome brother, y'all are in for some fun!  Peruse this forum, check out Thenakedwiz site and bbqbrethren.  All you need is here.  If you have a question, ask it here and you'll get at least one opinion, if not four.  Most are correct.  Have fun and always burp your egg.
    Not related to anything else, but I'm glad to see that you spelled "y'all" correctly.  I see too many people spelling it "ya'll" - clearly unaware how contractions work.

LBGE

Pikesville, MD

• Spaightlabs
    Spaightlabs Posts: 2,349
    Options
    You've got a solid 20 years left in ya, get cookin'.

Just gotta get your hands dirty.
  • egger ave
    egger ave Posts: 721
    Options
    Welcome to the cult! First thing, cook on your BGE tomorrow! If there are any eggfests close to you, go have fun and learn. start with some simple cooks to learn to control the BGE temperature. It's not necessary to build a big fire for most cooks. 
    1 Large BGE, 1 Mini BGE, 1 Minimax BGE, Original wife and 3 dogs living in the heart of BBQ country in Round Rock Texas. 

"The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it."

Albert Einstein
  • Jeremiah
    Jeremiah Posts: 6,412
    edited May 2016
    Options
    Check out YouTube. Lots of
    good beginner videos. And welcome to the forum. 
    Slumming it in Aiken, SC. 
  • theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    Options
    Acn said:
    bgebrent said:
    Not related to anything else, but I'm glad to see that you spelled "y'all" correctly.  I see too many people spelling it "ya'll" - clearly unaware how contractions work.
    Well he is a Kentucky guy and now lives in the real south. 

This is site is your best resource. We're pretty active all hours night and day. Just ask away!
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    Acn said:
    bgebrent said:
    Well he is a Kentucky guy and now lives in the real south. 

This is site is your best resource. We're pretty active all hours night and day. Just ask away!
    Spelling is my strong suit @theyolksonyou, thanks for the shout out!
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    This sight is filled with amazing folks who know how to deliver a fabulous cook. As others have mentioned, just ask, the BGE will do the work.
    Great to have you on board.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • dougcrann
    dougcrann Posts: 1,129
    Options
    Cook...eat...repeat...

Welcome to the addiction...
  • Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    Options
    Only thing to add is post pics, ensure you have some type of indirect piece and don't get overly zealous of the vent settings. Before long you will know what vent setting is what temp. Until then don't drive yourself crazy playing with it. There is a thread on here with some pics of various vent settings that is a nice starting point. 
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    The Egg has its own way of cooking. If you had much prior experience, it would be misleading.

There are three essentials. Air flow control, distance of the food from the glowing coals, and if the food is exposed directly to the glow, or blocked by a deflector so that there's only the air temperature cooking the food.

1. With the "daisy wheel" off, and the bottom vent open, the Egg can produce a blue flame jetting out the top, with gasses around 2000F. With the daisy on, and all but closed, and the bottom vent closed to as little as a 16th of an inch, the temp can hold around 250F for up to 18 hrs.

2. Most of the heat from the charcoal comes out in IR waves. Far more energy than a gas flame. That energy drops off w. distance. If you cook w. the food on a grill on the fire box, it will get 2X hotter than food cooked w. the grill on the fire ring. And food cooked on a grill extender close to the seam where the dome meets the base is only getting as much 1/2 the heat that is present at the top of the fire ring.

3. If there is something placed between the IR coming off the lump and the food, the energy cooking the food is limited to what is in the heated air. There are many ways of setting up an indirect cook. Something as simply placing a pie plate on the grill and putting the food on a wire rack an inch or two high will create a more slow cooking toasting environment that prevents the food from charring, and get more smoke flavor.

Have fun.
  • jtcBoynton
    jtcBoynton Posts: 2,814
    Options
    Welcome.  Another site that has good information is:
    http://amazingribs.com/index.html
    Not specific to egg cooking, but provides good explanations of how and why for most things you will cook on the egg. 

Any time you have a question, this is a good place to ask.  You will usually get a prompt reply that is helpful.  The more specific your question, the more focussed the answers will be.  Keep in mind that there are always several very good ways to cook things on the egg.  You will get multiple answers offering differing advice.  Usually the differing answers are all good.  Don't get hung up trying to find THE BEST way - just start cooking and make adjustments as you go along.

One caution - don't go crazy adding accessories.  There are lots of things you can add to make cooking on the egg easier/better.  Some sold by BGE and some from other vendors.  There are options so take your time before spending your cash.  And be aware, around here we love to spend other people's money - ask for a suggestion and we will provide you with many ways to empty your wallet!!

And remember, we love pictures around here.

Southeast Florida - LBGE
    In cooking, often we implement steps for which we have no explanations other than ‘that’s what everybody else does’ or ‘that’s what I have been told.’  Dare to think for yourself.

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,332
    Options
    Welcome aboard and enjoy the journey.  Lots of good info here and you will quickly see that there are likely several options to addressing any questions you may have.  And all will work.  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Mosca
    Mosca Posts: 456
    Options
    First of all, drop that "borrowed time" stuff. If you die out from underneath it all, then it doesn't matter anyhow. Half the fun is in the learning. there is always another meal to try, until there isn't; but that in no way invalidates the meals beforehand. As Warren Zevon said, "Enjoy every sandwich." As I say, no one wants to live forever, but everybody wants one more day.

Second, heat that sucker up and start cooking is the only way to learn. There is no faster way. Read the manual and get to work.
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    Acn said:
    bgebrent said:
    Then there is yawl.....sometimes we southerners spell funny. jKOC
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • bboulier
    bboulier Posts: 558
    Options
    You have made a wise investment.  BGE pays bigger dividends than an IRA! You have come to the right site.  Folks here will be happy to answer any questions you might have.
    Weber Kettle, Weber Genesis Silver B, Medium Egg, KJ Classic (Black)
  • Austin  Egghead
    Austin Egghead Posts: 3,966
    Options
    Welcome to the community.  Your egg is a versitle cooking tool. Anything that you have cooked on stove top or oven will work on the egg...just taste better.  
    BTW, no question is a stupid question".......And dont forget to post pictures
    Large, small and mini now Egging in Rowlett Tx
  • westernbbq
    westernbbq Posts: 2,490
    Options
    just get grillin, smokimg, cooking, roasting and soon youll be boasting.

Burgers, fish, chicken,  ribs, veggies and sausages.   

Start with the stuff you already kmow how to cook and then you will quickly expand your repetoire and create awesome things.  

Happy Egging!
  • buzd504
    buzd504 Posts: 3,824
    Options
    bboulier said:
    You have made a wise investment.  BGE pays bigger dividends than an IRA! You have come to the right site.  Folks here will be happy to answer any questions you might have.
    Reverse dividends.
    NOLA
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,832
    edited May 2016
    Options
    +1 on @egger ave's advice of getting to an Eggfest. Where are you located?

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• johnnyp
    johnnyp Posts: 3,932
    Options
    Watch this entire series. He uses a different type of cooker, but the method definitely translates.
    http://www.pbs.org/show/bbq-franklin/episodes/

Also, talk to your egg dealer.  See if they offer any demo classes/events.  

Plus,  there are a lot of sponsored events that are fun to attend. You can see the official list here.
    http://biggreenegg.com/eggfests/

And, as always, be an active member of the forum and you'll be rewarded with shared knowledge and comradery  
    XL & MM BGE, 36" Blackstone - Newport News, VA
  • abpgwolf
    abpgwolf Posts: 559
    Options
    Welcome, the best way to learn is to cook every chance you can. And ask questions, this is a great group and you will usually get an answer to your question within an hour. All of the websites mentioned above are great resources for info & recipes. Have fun!

Lititz, PA – XL BGE