Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

large quantity of food -- long

Options
Desert Egg
Desert Egg Posts: 12
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
We are going to be doing a bunch of food for family and friends next weekend, so I'm trying to work out something for all the food. Hows this look?[p]
<--new top grate
| | <--fire bricks

<--normal grill level
| | <--fire ring

<--grate with pizza stone on it(like JSLOT uses)
|________| <--charcoal
| | <--lowest portion of firebox(ashes collect here)[p] We will be feeding 10 adults and 12 kids. The adults want ribs and the kids like hotdogs and hamburgers. Sides were just going to be baked potatoes and corn on the cob. Some type of macarroni/pasta salad as well. The kids will probably get french fries. I figure the corn and potatoes could go on the normal grill level and the ribs on the upper. Dogs and burgers will be cooked after other food of course. The ribs should fit if I'm correct, because many people put firebricks on the normal level and raise the cooking grid up(Tim M's photo's).

Can anybody think of a reason why this setup might not work? Maybe even have a better way of doing this cookout. It has to be completely cooked on the Egg(except the salads) as per the family's request.This will be my first time for this size a group. Wifes side only, doesn't even include my side of the family(there's 9 on my side). If this goes well we will probably have both families over for Thanksgiving and X-mas.[p] Thanks
Brad[p]P.S. I gave that Guinness a try after the posts talking about it. Considering the fact that I don't like beer(LOVE long island ice tea's though) I was suprised when I drank the entire 4 pack. I'm sure I'll be buying it again.

Comments

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Options
    Desert Egg,
    You can get a whole bunch of ribs in a rib rack. Lay the corn and taters all around. Just a thought. I have not tried putting a grate under the fire ring.[p]Glad you enjoyed the Guinness.
    NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • Desert Egg
    Options
    Oops, my drawing did't work like I wanted.[p] _________ <--new cooking grate
    |_______| <--normal cooking level with firebricks on top
    |_______| <--fire ring w/ pizza stone (JSLOT)
    |_____| <--firebox (charcoal)
    |...| <--firebox (ashes collect here)[p] Sorry about that,
    Brad

• Grumpa
    Grumpa Posts: 861
    Options
    Desert Egg,[p]I think you would do better to not use BOTH the pizza stone AND firebricks as ceramic mass. It is more than you need. If you are talking about the firebricks on end to hold the 2nd cooking grill then that would be OK but, I would shy away from having a layer of them above the pizza stone as well.

• Desert Egg
    Options
    Bob,
    Yeah, I was simply going to use the bricks to raise the grates up not as a barrier. Sorry I didn't make it very clear in my post.[p] Thanks,
    Brad

• Grumpa
    Grumpa Posts: 861
    Options
    Desert Egg,[p]In that case, it look like you got a first class set up going and should be able to feed a crowd.[p]Got room for one more :~)

• Char-Woody
    Char-Woody Posts: 2,642
    Options
    Desert Egg, If it were me, which it ain't :-) I would concentrate on doing my ribs and you can use a set up very similar to what your describing. Do the ribs and then do the hot dogs and burgers for the kids when you can crank the heat to the 400 level.[p]Here is what I would do..again!! use the standard grill for the lower rack of ribs..Set 3 firebricks on edge in a triangle and a second grill on those bricks. put your slabs on both grills and if needed rotate the slabs for uniform cook. do em bone side down over direct heat at 250 degrees allowing about 4 to 5 hours for the cook. You can bake potato's at the same time and take em off and foil wrap em when they start getting soft.
    When the ribs get to the rib twist test doneness take em off and foil wrap em and put in a ice chest wrapped in towels and then go do the burgers and wieners. By the time you get the wieners and stuff done, the ribs will finish cooking in the ice chest from their own heat.
    Just a idea.. I could be off course as I have yet to do this and rotate.. but I betcha it can be done.[p]

• Desert Egg
    Options
    Char-Woody,
    That is kinda how I was thinking of doing it, except only using the top grate for ribs. The family is not a huge meat eater so 5-6 slabs/rack(?) should be fine. They do eat lots of veggies though. That's why I was thinking of an entire shelf(lower) and whatever I could fit on the upper with the ribs for them. I'm wondering if the juices from the ribs would drip on them and cause any problems though?

I was planning on doing the dogs & burgers after everything else was off the grill as you suggested.

• KennyG
    KennyG Posts: 949
    Options
    Desert Egg,[p]In my $.02 worth, there's nothing wrong with your theory and setup. Something else to consider are the stackable cookie racks sold at Target Stores. They come 3 to a package for about $7. Each is approx 10" X 14" and have swing out legs which raise them 4 inches above the surface you set them on. Some of the folks here saw me using them at the first two EggFests. You can get 2 of them into the Large Egg and still be able to close the lid. For Q'n meat and other items under 4 inches tall, the additional 280 Sq. inches will more than double the capacity of your Egg.[p]K~G

[ul][li]Cookie racks and too many PBRs[/ul]
  • Char-Woody
    Options
    KennyG,
    Hey man,,thats right on the money and I use those racks myself thanks to your input about a year or so ago. I spotted em in one of the department stores. Mine are made by ROSHCO for Bakers Advantage. Measure 10" x 16" and can hold two nice layers of about 5 loinback ribs per tray. They are also non stick coated and really clean up like new again when washed. I love em for indirect cooks..Thanks for the picture. Who was the guy!! :-)
    Cheers..C~W[p]

• Char-Woody
    Options
    Desert Egg, I would keep my veggies either along side the ribs or on one of those racks that KennyG suggested over the ribs. That will work very well also.
    Good luck..C~W[p]

• KennyG
    KennyG Posts: 949
    Options
    Char-Woody,[p]This was some delelict who was hanging around EggFest waiting for another round of appetizers to become available. I asked him to keep an eye on my chicken when I went to get myself another brewski.[p]K~G

• Char-Woody
    Options
    KennyG, Well, I declare, if they gonna have standin's for photo shots maybe next time Cat will do the honors..heeee.
    Cheers...C~W[p]