Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT - Blackstone Questions

Options
I'm thinking about getting a Blackstone For my birthday, but I'm not sure it'll work for me.  How does it perform in a cold climate?  Does the cover protect it well?  There is no roof over my deck.  Any insight you have would be appreciated.
Flint, Michigan

Comments

• tarheelmatt
    tarheelmatt Posts: 9,867
    Options
    The cover isn't the best, but does pretty good if you add the arches.  I think one guy placed a fold up table over his and then acts as work space when unfolded and in use.  

You'll use it more than your Egg.  
    ------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,740
    Options
    in the winter i might cover the bottom burner section but would want the grill plate stored in a dry place, i cannot see that not rusting. they have a stainless top model but i would be afraid of warping it,i warped my carbon one and stainless would be more prone to that i believe. the warranty was great though, replaced in a couple days with zero problems
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    edited May 2016
    Options
    Wind is the enemy with my Tailgater, I store it inside.  My pizza oven stays in the garage.

Even though some parts are stainless, I don't trust any BS product being parked permanently in the elements.  Only paid $340 total for both.  Stuff is made in China.  I have almost enough spare parts from BS to make a Frankenoven.  All I need are the stones, a burner dial, and rotis motor. Lol

Aluminum foil skirting as a windblock, helps in a pinch.
    Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• Fred19Flintstone
    Fred19Flintstone Posts: 8,168
    Options
    My eggs live in my jammed up garage.  I was hoping the BS would work staying outdoors.
    Flint, Michigan
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    I think it work fine in the cold but I agree with @Focker wind could be a problem.  The blackstone cover I ordered leaked pretty bad but I resolved it with a cheap blue tarp.  

I set one of these in the middle of the griddle
    Speedi-Products 4 in Galvanized Umbrella roof Vent Cap
    I put on a 4x8 tarp folded in half, then the blackstone griddle over the tarp.   It is a redneck solution but it actually works quite well. The BS cover holds the tarp in place and hides it the cheap blue tarp.  It keeps the cooking surface nice and dry. 

All that being said- if you can make room in your garage that would probably be an easier and better solution.

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• Fred19Flintstone
    Options
    Please forgive my ignorance on this.  I see that windy conditions might require a little creativity like @Focker 's foil skirting solution.  Is performance in the cold an issue?
    Flint, Michigan
  • SmokeyPitt
    Options
    Please forgive my ignorance on this.  I see that windy conditions might require a little creativity like @Focker 's foil skirting solution.  Is performance in the cold an issue?
    I don't think there should be an issue.  I'm in GA so my definition of cold is probably different than yours...but I used it in the winter time and didn't notice any performance issues.

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    edited May 2016
    Options
    I believe carbon steel here is a good thing.  Faster, more efficient heat transfer in colder weather.  Heavy rain and wind are the main adversaries if you are exposed in the elements with the griddle.
    Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• Jeremiah
    Jeremiah Posts: 6,412
    Options
    Can't really help with the cold
    climate. I'd probably do more than the cheap cover if kept out in the elements. Like others said, either add to the cover or maybe some sort of inexpensive shelter kind of like dyal had posted for free in the give away thread?
    Slumming it in Aiken, SC. 
  • Bustersdad
    Bustersdad Posts: 311
    Options
    @Fred19Flintstone, as you know, just down the road from you...I had a Blackstone for 2 years, sits outside unprotected.  Difficult to cook in high wind unless you can shield the burners.  I have the Blackstone cover, keeps it good condition through the snow.  I tent the cover so water runs off.
  • Fred19Flintstone
    Options
    @Fred19Flintstone, as you know, just down the road from you...I had a Blackstone for 2 years, sits outside unprotected.  Difficult to cook in high wind unless you can shield the burners.  I have the Blackstone cover, keeps it good condition through the snow.  I tent the cover so water runs off.
    That's awesome Jeff!  It's exactly what I needed to know!
    Flint, Michigan
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,036
    Options
    My blackstone struggles in cold with wind.  I use it in the garage, near open door, when really windy.  I think it would benefit from shields around the gap between the base and cooking surface.
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    Options
    I think one guy placed a fold up table over his and then acts as work space when unfolded and in use.  

You'll use it more than your Egg.  

Well, I'm the "one guy".  It's actually a piece of corian.  Works great in my climate, but I get no blowing snow.  

Here's the link if interested.

http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1184521/ot-blackstone-griddle-hardtop-cover-prep-area-pics#latest

Agree with Matt - you'll use it more than your egg(s). 

Phoenix 
  • Fred19Flintstone
    Options
    Does anyone have a Camp Chef?
    Flint, Michigan
  • SmokeyPitt
    Options
    @Thatgrimguy has one on his trailer. 

• SoCalWJS
    SoCalWJS Posts: 407
    Options
    Do not buy one of those things! Hazardous to your Health!

(I think I gained about 10 pounds the first month or 2 I had it  =))
    South SLO County
  • Thatgrimguy
    Thatgrimguy Posts: 4,729
    Options
    I have two now. One in the rv and one built into my trailer. I love them. Great quality with lots of power. The Blackstone is a better griddle. It has more even heat and a smoother griddle surface. But, the camp chef griddle still works GREAT, has more power, is way more versatile and it's portable. 
    XL, Small, Mini & Mini Max Green Egg, Shirley Fab Trailer, 6 gal and 2.5 gal Cajun Fryers, BlueStar 60" Range, 48" Lonestar Grillz Santa Maria, Alto Shaam 1200s, Gozney Dome, Gateway 55g Drum