Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Carne Asada marinade...

Options
dougcrann
dougcrann Posts: 1,129
....we used to get Carne Asada from a local grocer in AZ. They gave us the recipe for the marinade...but like most things we never put the,scape of paper it was on away for safe keeping. Anybody care to share?

Comments

• Battleborn
    Battleborn Posts: 3,356
    Options
    Make a rub of a basic taco seasoning and put it on a steak. Get some olive oil in a zip lock and juice a lemon and lime and throw a couple of the rinds in the bag. Depending on how hot you like things throw a couple of chipolte peppers and some adobo sauce in there too. 
    Las Vegas, NV

• THEBuckeye
    THEBuckeye Posts: 4,231
    Options
    Light EEVO rub, Fresh Lime Juice, Cummin

Light EEVO rub, Lime and Dizzy's Fajitaish 

Marinade for as long as you can up to 24 hours. 
    New Albany, Ohio 

• westernbbq
    westernbbq Posts: 2,490
    Options
    Mad coyote joe used to have a cooking show on abc 15 and i recall most of his ingredients and ratios thusly:

1/2 white onion chopped
    2 cloves garlic minched
    1 tsp mexican oregano
    1 tbsp canela sugar
    1 tsp cayenne pepper
    1/2 c chopped green onions
    2 tbsp soy sauce
    2 tbsp teriyaki sauce
    1 whole jalapeno, sedded and chopped
    1 c fresh orange juice
    1 tsp cumin
    1 tbsp salt
    1 tbsp pepper
    1/4 c olive oil
    1/4 c red wine vinegar
    Optional- 1 oz tequila and 2 tbsp cilantro, chopped
    Orange and lime zest and the juice of one lime

Blend all this together into a pasty smoothie consistency.  Pour over meat and refrigerate over night

I use this and it is always a hit with skirt steak
  • SoCalWJS
    SoCalWJS Posts: 407
    Options
    I don't think I've ever made it the same twice, but it contains whatever combination of the following that sounds god at that time.

Onion
    Cilantro
    Lime
    Orange
    Lemon
    EVOO
    Garlic
    Jalapeno/Serrano
    Tequila
    Triple sec
    Some form of chili powder or taco seasoning

Adjust for heat
    South SLO County
  • Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    Options
    Here is one:
    Marinade, Carne Asada, Big Dave, Mexican

USE THIS RECIPE FOR UP TO 4 LBS OF BEEF FLAP MEAT (RANCHERA).

INGREDIENTS:
    1 LIME, JUICED
    1 LEMON, JUICED
    1 ORANGE, JUICED OR 1/2 CUP OJ
    2 Tbs CHILI POWDER
    1- 1/2 Tbs DRIED OREGANO LEAVES
    2 Tbs GROUND CUMIN
    1- 1/2 tsp CRUSHED CORIANDER SEEDS
    *5 OR MORE GARLIC CLOVES, COARSLEY CHOPPED (* OR TO TASTE)
    1/4 to 1/2 cup SOY SAUCE (I USE 1/4 CUP SOY IF USING REGULAR SOY; 1/2 CUP IF USING LITE SOY)
    2 OR MORE SLICED JALAPENO CHILIS
    1 MEDIUM ONION, SLICED THIN

PROCEDURE:

1. COMBINE ALL INGREDIENTS IN A 1-GALLON ZIPLOC BAG; CLOSE AND MIX WELL. ADD BEEF FLAP MEAT (RANCHERA). MARINATE IN BAG UP TO 24 HOURS TURNING AND MASSAGING MEAT FREQUENTLY. GRILL TO MEDIUM-WELL. CUT MEAT INTO 1/2"; SLICES (OR CUBES) AGAINST THE GRAIN. SERVE WITH TORTILLAS, MEXICAN RICE AND BEANS. GARNISH WITH LIME WEDGES AND CILANTRO.

Recipe Type: Marinade

Source
    Source: BGE Forum, SuperDave, 2007/06/15

• dougcrann
    Options
    @SoCalWJS....THIS  is exactly how my wife prefers things...a general guideline of things....and then "wing it". 
    Thanks folks. Will be saving them all. My last trip to AZ my buddy left dinner up to me. He lives 3 miles from the shop we used to go to for Carne Asada.  They sure were proud of their Carne Asada at a few ticks under $7@pound but it sure was good. Bought a couple pounds home...
  • westernbbq
    westernbbq Posts: 2,490
    Options
    AZ is a great place for carne asada.... carcinerias around here sell it premarinated in butcher shops for 6-7 per lb.  good stuff
  • dougcrann
    Options
    AZ is a great place for carne asada.... carcinerias around here sell it premarinated in butcher shops for 6-7 per lb.  good stuff
    There marinade was really simple.  It had orange juice & fruit punch in it, that much I remember but the rest I haven't a clue. My wife will be staying with my buddy for a couple days of her upcoming trip. My buddies shop is right across the street from the grocery store. Hope she has a chance to run in and ask them... 
  • JNDATHP
    JNDATHP Posts: 461
    Options
    For quick and dirty, I use a Spanish mojo in a bottle and add cilantro and soy sauce. 
    Michael
    Large BGE
    Reno, NV
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,044
    Options
    Mine is very simple:

Salt
    Pepper
    Minced garlic cloves
    White onion (sweet mexican onions)
    Jalapeños or serrano
    Soy sauce
    Canola Oil
    Fresh squeezed lime juice (key)

I do not marinde.  I dip and let sit for 5-10 minutes, then grill hot.

They are awesome.  I also slice my flank steak even thinner than butcher gives it to me.  Avout 3/8" or thinner.
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • Phatchris
    Phatchris Posts: 1,726
    Options
    I use Tyler Florences mojo marinade probably once a week, simple and very good.

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/tyler-florence/tacos-carne-asada-recipe.html