Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Bought a Party Q temp control

Options
Broke down today and bought the Party Q. I've heard a lot about them so guess I own one now. Anybody else have it let me know I made a good choice since the Digi Q was way to pricey.

Comments

• Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,471
    Options
    Of the "whatever-Q's" for sale, that's the one I've been eyeing too.  Let us know how it works for you, especially the battery life; thanks!  

Remember when teachers used to say 'You won't have a calculator everywhere you go'?  Well, we showed them.

• DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    I have one, works fine. I did use an old DC power supply from a portable CD player and dowel rods to use when near an AC source as a battery replacement. Doesn't get much use as I upgraded to a Stoker awhile back. I still use it with my Small and my KJ Jr.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    edited May 2016
    Options

It's a good unit.  Simple, but it works as advertised.  I replace the batteries with fresh ones for each long cook.  The batteries aren't done at that point, but I use them for other things.  I'm not a fan of the adapter plate, other than that, it's pretty good.

Phoenix 
  • tarheelmatt
    tarheelmatt Posts: 9,867
    Options
    I only wanted something simple that works.  It does just that!  
    ------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • SouthGaSmoker
    SouthGaSmoker Posts: 98
    edited May 2016
    Options
    I have an older PartyQ and it ends up overshooting the set temp 30+ degrees everytime.  Rarely use it anymore.
    St. Mary's, GA
  • tjv
    tjv Posts: 3,830
    Options
    did you consider the pitmaster IQ110,  single pit probe and plugs in to an electrical outlet.  

I don't like the batteries on the party Q,  always wondering it they will last through a cook or need to change and don't have any.

t
    www.ceramicgrillstore.com ACGP, Inc.
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    Got the green Q. Love it, has been 100% every time. (Guessing 30 times?)
    I like the plug in and let it ride mode. 
    Buying the egg was the least expensive part of owning it. DigiQ, patio extension, electrical outlet wiring, new patio furniture, etc. etc. etc.
    With the egg you are going to spend money, that is just a fact. Always spend it on; a) something you will use for a long time, and b) something that is built to be used for a long time.
    I have learned. The hard way.

"Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    I used one once in the cold. Batteries died in the night. They were fesh too. I like something with a plug the the party Q would be cool for camping or something. IF you can rig up something like DMW, I think it would be fine.
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • DaveRichardson
    DaveRichardson Posts: 2,324
    Options
    DMW said:
    I have one, works fine. I did use an old DC power supply from a portable CD player and dowel rods to use when near an AC source as a battery replacement. Doesn't get much use as I upgraded to a Stoker awhile back. I still use it with my Small and my KJ Jr.

Do you get the "fuzzy eye" from SWMBO that I get when I start something like that wit hthe dowel rods and the power supply????

LBGE #19 from North GA Eggfest, 2014

Stockbridge, GA - just south of Atlanta where we are covered up in Zombies!  #TheWalkingDead films practically next door!

• tjv
    tjv Posts: 3,830
    Options

most of the controllers can be hooked up to a jump back.  I'd run them this way at eggfests.  cool thing about the pack is they can run multiple overnight cooks between charges. 

t

www.ceramicgrillstore.com ACGP, Inc.
  • tarheelmatt
    tarheelmatt Posts: 9,867
    Options
    I've cooked on cold nights with no issues, yet.  Main selling point for me was not requiring AC , drop cords,  etc. 
    ------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    Options
    I have an older PartyQ and it ends up overshooting the set temp 30+ degrees everytime.  Rarely use it anymore.

@Renegaderam  This ^^^ happens.  What I do is set the temp 30 degrees lower.  If you're shooting for 250, set it for 220.  Once it overshoots, I creep the temp up to the desired in a couple of spurts.  If you know it's gonna happen, it's not a big deal.

Phoenix 
  • Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    edited May 2016
    Options
    tjv said:

most of the controllers can be hooked up to a jump back.  I'd run them this way at eggfests.  cool thing about the pack is they can run multiple overnight cooks between charges. 

t

Will be hitting HF up for one of these soon.  The model with the air compressor would be handy.  Could even build a cheap rain box with 2" pvc elbows to house FB, and jump starter. 
    Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• jaydub58
    jaydub58 Posts: 2,167
    Options
    I'm with @tarheelmatt; I've had my Party Q for almost two years.
    Like it a lot!
    John in the Willamette Valley of Oregon
  • RollTideRob
    RollTideRob Posts: 139
    Options

I really like mine. Get some rechargeable batteries and you'll be set.

Large, Medium

Heflin, AL
  • smbishop
    smbishop Posts: 3,053
    Options
    Love my PartyQ, great purchase, you will love it!
    Southlake, TX and Cowhouse Creek - King, TX.  2 Large, 1 Small and a lot of Eggcessories.
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    If you have a remote dual probe thermo setup, you basically have a digi q with remote read. I love that setup and use it fairly often. Just pair the two devices on the same cook. Bingo!
  • ceramic_cooker
    Options
    tjv said:

t

Do you know of any instructions that will help us convert our party Q to use this external source of power
  • Renegaderam
    Renegaderam Posts: 90
    Options
    Awesome thanks everybody
  • lightningQ
    lightningQ Posts: 38
    Options
    I got one last year for thanksgiving and I love it. I have done several long cooks and I just changed the batteries for the first time. I use it in conjunction with my Igrill 2 and it holds steady temps. Key to it is get the egg stable at the temp you want before putting it on and it will save your battery.  Good luck with it