Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Well, my BGE adventure is off to a terrible start

Options

Comments

• Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,107
    Options
    I have three eggs.  2 transported after dealer assembly by me.  Never checked the bolts till a few months in.

3rd egg delivered by dealer.  He never checked bolts after delivery either.
    They don’t want a population of citizens capable of critical thinking. They don’t want well informed, well educated people capable of critical thinking. They’re not interested in that. That doesn’t help them. That's against their interests. - George Carlin
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,107
    Options
    Don't sweat it though.  It will be made right.  I have never seen BGE not make a situation right.  That is why I have 3 and no Kamado Joes or any other kamado.
    They don’t want a population of citizens capable of critical thinking. They don’t want well informed, well educated people capable of critical thinking. They’re not interested in that. That doesn’t help them. That's against their interests. - George Carlin
  • Staygold
    Staygold Posts: 45
    Options
    I'm new to the forum and new to the BGE community. I'm not looking to put anyone down or drag anyone's name through the mud. I just want to be able to enjoy in the investment I made and cook some great food for my family. I'm looking forward to getting past all of this. I hope it's something I can look back on and laugh, not tighten my butt cheeks every time I open my lid. With a product so fragile, in less than 24hrs, my confidence has changed drastically. 
    LBGE #76 Georgia Mountain Eggfest 2016
  • Jeremiah
    Jeremiah Posts: 6,412
    Options
    For the record I was playing devils advocate. But I do get a little irked that today's society always finds a way to blame someone else first, then running to social media for backup. Yes. Whoever put the thing together is likely at fault. They'll make it right, so let's not burn their building down before they get a chance to do so.  

And and buy yourself a torque wrench.  =)
    Slumming it in Aiken, SC. 
  • Tony_T
    Tony_T Posts: 303
    edited May 2016
    Options
    Jeremiah said:
    For the record I was playing devils advocate. But I do get a little irked that today's society always finds a way to blame someone else first, then running to social media for backup. Yes. Whoever put the thing together is likely at fault. They'll make it right, so let's not burn their building down before they get a chance to do so.  

They already told the OP "Not my fault". ("she told me once I signed for my egg it was my responsibility and there was nothing she could do for me")
    IMO, they are at fault since they assembled the Egg.  Had they delivered unassembled, then I would have a different opinion.

Time for the OP to call the "Mothership"
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    Jeremiah said:

I hear you and concur.  This is sorta clear brother that assembly is at fault.  Accurately placed blame.  Not a fan of the ambulance chasers, trust me.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • SmokinTiger81
    SmokinTiger81 Posts: 746
    Options

Guess next year they should add to bring your wrench to tighten the bolts in to the instructions:

Taking Your New Egg Home

All demo eggs will be ready for pick up after the last tasty bites are cooked. Please bring everything you need to secure your Egg in your vehicle and meet us at the front gate by 5:00 PM on May 14th, 2016. There will be staff members to help you load and secure your Egg for travel.

• BigWader
    BigWader Posts: 673
    Options
    There is no way the OP should be on the hook for this. I can't believe the views on this thread already so I think another call to HH tomorrow should ask directly for someone in management. It seems like the OP s being polite and patient but being told "buyer beware" right after the egg fest is wrong and if necessary then let them know that everyone here is following the outcome. 

Toronto, Canada

Large BGE, Small BGE

• NonaScott
    NonaScott Posts: 446
    Options

Narcoossee, FL

LBGE, Nest, Mates, Plate Setter, Ash Tool. I'm a simple guy.
  • Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    edited May 2016
    Options
    With just a dome replacement, HH is getting off easy here.  Hard to believe they would blow you off after getting your hard earned.  We're not talking about a POS $99 Brinkmann Holiday Special at HD.  They'd have much bigger issues on their hands if the dome fell on the OP's foot.....really shocked by their douche move.

The only other thing could be transport.  I have learned to bear hug the bigger eggs, with guts removed.  Even pulling my eggs around the patio eventually gets them out of alignment.  Using the hinge and handle to lift puts a lot of stress where you don't want it.  But it's the first thing people reach for.
    Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    With any luck, the watchful eyes of @The_Buffalo or @EGGzilla_jr (or whatever the mod is called these days) has seen this thread, and has something to say around the mothership watercooler. 

If the distributor/eggfest organizer/dealer assembled the eggs,  then they are responsible. I think its pretty clear. Unless they explicitly informed every customer who bought a demo,  that the bands, etc needed to be checked prior to taking possession. And that every customer had to bring their own torque wrench to do so. 

@Staygold - I would takea deep breath, and give it at least 1 more day of giving the dealer a chance to make it right. Then contact the mothership directly. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Buckwoody Egger
    Options
    Hopefully the dealer reconsiders. Here's another wrinkle.  Their demo price is not worth the hassle. $659 large with no nest is not stellar. There was and may still be a sale price of $599 for a new large with no nest at several Atlanta area Ace stores.  Of course that doesn't include two taster tickets. But you couldn't pay me $100 to get in the line for people loading demo eggs that late in the day. And you risk dealing with a rush job assembly. Got mine back when the egg fest at HQ let you come in early the following week to pick up.  That is a great great fest so why not keep it friendly.
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    This is total bullshid! Whoever assembled this egg is responsible. Take this to the mothership now, with names of the people you have dealt with.
    explain the frustration on trying to get something done.
    Totally unacceptable for BGE.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • Miked125
    Miked125 Posts: 481
    Options
    Out of curiosity how much is a dome? I think in Canada I would have to take a second mortgage out 
  • bgebrent
    Options
    We're in GA, not much.  Just checked HH out online and there's no way to contact them other than by phone.  Website under construction.  Was gonna leave them a link to this thread.  Tomorrow better bring a better answer.
  • Biggreenpharmacist
    Options
    I believe I would have to go look somebody in the face after the blow off today. Thats a bunch of crap. 

Little Rock, AR

• bgebrent
    Options
    Bump, new day and time for a new answer.
  • theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    Options
    bgebrent said:
    I'm not sure, but I think you have to go to bed before it's really a new day.  
  • Austin  Egghead
    Austin Egghead Posts: 3,966
    Options
    I am sorry your BGE experience has started like this.  I do think who ever was in charge of setting up the eggs should step up to the plate and replace the dome.  
    In the last 5 years of cooking at fest i have had two eggs that were not assembled properly.  I called attention to this and the dealer/distributer fixed the problem. 
    There is alot of organized chaos occurring during the setup of the eggs for a fest and sometimes things are missed.  
    Large, small and mini now Egging in Rowlett Tx
  • StillH2OEgger
    StillH2OEgger Posts: 3,748
    Options
    I purchased my LBGE at an eggfest and the bands were not tightened to the point where the bolds were bent. I believe this is done on purpose because it just doesn't look attractive to a potential buyer when the bolts look that way. I'm all for being accountable, but I totally agree with others who have said the bands were not tight enough when you took possession of the BGE and they should replace dome and add an apology.
    Stillwater, MN
  • yljkt
    yljkt Posts: 799
    Options
    bgebrent said:
    And bgebrent for the save! Well played, Sir...
  • bgebrent
    Options
    yljkt said:
    bgebrent said:
    And bgebrent for the save! Well played, Sir...
    Appreciate that brother.  I figured John was unaware.  He'll make it right for sure!
  • Zippylip
    Zippylip Posts: 4,768
    Options
    Staygold said:
    I'm not looking to put anyone down or drag anyone's name through the mud.
    Really?  The same people that sold you an egg they incorrectly assembled then stuck it in your ass sideways when their incompetence cost you a dome? 

F them & file suit, sometimes you gotta teach people to do the right thing
    happy in the hut
    West Chester Pennsylvania
  • egret
    egret Posts: 4,170
    Options
    Zippylip said:
    Staygold said:
    I'm not looking to put anyone down or drag anyone's name through the mud.
    Really?  The same people that sold you an egg they incorrectly assembled then stuck it in your ass sideways when their incompetence cost you a dome? 

F them & file suit, sometimes you gotta teach people to do the right thing
    Now, calm down, Mark. I just found out about this and I'm on it!! We'll take care of this and make things right.
  • Zippylip
    Zippylip Posts: 4,768
    Options
    egret said:
    Now, calm down, Mark. I just found out about this and I'm on it!! We'll take care of this and make things right.
    All calm here John hahaha, my comments are intended for those situations where you're convinced that the dealer is not gonna make things right...
    happy in the hut
    West Chester Pennsylvania
  • THEBuckeye
    THEBuckeye Posts: 4,231
    Options
    How many Eggs were assembled for the Fest? Perhaps based on the number needed inexperienced Egg assemblers helped out and simply didn't do it right.
    New Albany, Ohio 

• Jupiter Jim
    Jupiter Jim Posts: 3,351
    edited May 2016
    Options

So glad the Godfather of Eggfest is on the case, you will be up and running again soon.

I'm only hungry when I'm awake!

Okeechobee FL. Winter

West Jefferson NC Summer

• Staygold
    Staygold Posts: 45
    Options
    I spoke to Hiawassee Hardware this morning. The requested some pics of the damage and are gonna try to help. The we're very nice about everything, just trying to figure out how to fix the issue.
    LBGE #76 Georgia Mountain Eggfest 2016