Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Purpose of Plate Setter

Options
Hello,

Just finished my first rib cook and all I can say is WOW I am impressed.. After reading many post I cooked the ribs at 225 degrees for 2.5 hours on the grill, then wrapped in foil for 2 hours.However I have a question concerning the use of the plate setter.  Is it used mainly to deflect smoke from the cooking grill, or used to hold a pan for liquid to keep the meat moist.  Any help would be appreciated.  Thanks in advance.

Comments

• bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    It's a heat deflector to turn your "grill" into a smoker/oven.  For indirect cooking.  It also holds a drip pan. I never put fluid in the pan except for some bread making.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • bgebrent
    Options
    And welcome!
  • dougcrann
    dougcrann Posts: 1,129
    Options
    It also gives your dogs something to lick when it is not in use.
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,894
    Options
    Since you're new here may I offer up this simple suggestion? When using your PS cover the top side with foil rather than to let it get so gross with residual grease and sauces. You can thank the Clean PS Society later!  =)
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • bboulier
    bboulier Posts: 558
    Options
    The basic purpose of the place setter is to deflect heat so that you can cook indirect.  
    Weber Kettle, Weber Genesis Silver B, Medium Egg, KJ Classic (Black)
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    It is an oven.
    Thanks for your advice...
  • Jstroke
    Jstroke Posts: 2,600
    Options
    This not by any means directed at the OP. However, if he bought this new then why was this not fully explained by the dealer. Now maybe he won it at a golf outing or bought it used, benefit given and kudos to you for finding us.

I asked Rob who is the local rep for our local BGE distributorship if he had to go to "Egg School" when he was hired and he looked at me funny. Guess not.

I find it amusing at the lack of knowledge amongst companies and sales staff. 
    Columbus, Ohio--A Gasser filled with Matchlight and an Ugly Drum.
  • Darby_Crenshaw
    Darby_Crenshaw Posts: 2,657
    Options
    Hold your face to the sun on a clear day. Hot. 

Now put your hand up. Much cooler. Now your face is heated only by the air

the platesetter, or a foil pan, or any 'indirect' set up turns the BGE from a grill into an oven (or smoker, as the case may be)
    [social media disclaimer: irony and sarcasm may be used in some or all of user's posts; emoticon usage is intended to indicate moderately jocular social interaction; the comments toward users, their usernames, and the real people (living or dead) that they refer to are not intended to be adversarial in nature; those replying to this user are entering into a tacit agreement that they are real-life or social-media acquaintances and/or have agreed to or tacitly agreed to perpetrate occasional good-natured ribbing between and among themselves and others]

• Great_EGGspectations
    Options
    Welcome! Rather new here myself. BGE's web site actually has a good explanation in the product description at:

http://biggreenegg.com/product/conveggtor/

Happy smoking! Hope the ribs turned out great!
    Low Country EggHead
    Charleston, South Carolina
    Large BGE (2016-05) & XXL BGE (2016-11)

• bgebrent
    Options
    Hold your face to the sun on a clear day. Hot. 

Now put your hand up. Much cooler. Now your face is heated only by the air

the platesetter, or a foil pan, or any 'indirect' set up turns the BGE from a grill into an oven (or smoker, as the case may be)
    I'm still laughing at your analogy!  Absolutely accurate.