Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Whole Brisket (Quick questions)

Options
I just bought a 12lb prime whole brisket at Costco for 2.40 a lb. seemed like a good deal so I grabbed it. Problem, I haven't done a brisket yet and I have no idea what to do. I've obviously found recipes, but I'm not ready to cook it yet. My questions. Can I cut it in half and vac seal it for when I'm ready?  If so, how do I cut it since it has the large end? Long ways so there is a fat end on both pieces?  I just don't want to cook a full 12 lbs unless I have to. Thanks for any quick tips. 

Comments

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,381
    edited May 2016
    Options
    Following is just an opinion and we all know what those are worth.  I would not cut it but freeze it in the cryovac package until ready for the cook.  12 lb pre-trim will likely yield around 9-10 lbs after trimming.  When you finish the cook you will likely end up with about 60% yield.  That amount of goodness is easily consumable in short order. FWIW-
    Edit:  great price right there.

Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • jwc6160
    jwc6160 Posts: 218
    Options
    So want kind of time am I talking for a 12lber?  I'm not sure I have 18 hours in me. I don't have the fancy auto temp tools/monitors.  I'd probably give it a shot before I cut it in half and ruined it, but I'm not sure. 
  • lousubcap
    edited May 2016
    Options
    If you run at around 260-280*F on the calibrated dome you can plan on an hour/LB and could see less than that.  (My last few have been closer to around 0.7hrs/lb with that temp range-but the cow is in charge).
    Here's a Cliff's Notes version of a brisket cook:
    The true keys to success are:
    1.  A good trim of the hard fat ala Franklin.
    2.  Rub of your choice.
    3.  Air gapped drip pan.
    4.  Stable fire at your desired cook temp with plenty of lump.  (I run in the 260+/- temp range and plan for around 1 hr/# but have seen quicker cooks).
    5.  Waiting for the "feel" in the thickest part of the flat to declare victory.  And not worrying if some of the flat doesn't probe as it should.
    6.  Paying no attention to the point.
    7.  Giving the cow around a 15-20 min rest if you FTC (stop the carryover cook).
    8.  Recognizing that the cow drives the cook.
    9.  Enjoying and adapting to the cook as it evolves.
    10.  Adult supervisory beverages to help with enjoying the SWMBO eggscape time.
    FWIW-
    Edit:  I run w/o any controllers and will start early AM to finish for dinner in that weight range.

Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • SmyrnaGA
    SmyrnaGA Posts: 438
    Options
    I've never cooked a 1/2 brisket, only whole packers.  I've heard it's harder to cook smaller pieces.  Leftovers freezes well in 1 lb packages.  Great for quick meal of brisket for middle of week.

Large BGE, Small BGE, KJ Jr, and a Cracked Vision Kub.

in Smyrna GA.

• XLentEGG
    XLentEGG Posts: 436
    Options
    I'm not a purist when it comes to the Brisket. I usually just cut it in half and vac pac both of them. Thaw , trim , inject , rub , and cook. Point , flat , some of each...... All cooks nice and tender :-)
    More meat please !! :-)
  • jwc6160
    Options
    Ok, going for my first over nighter. Going to set it around 250, snooze, and pray. Wish me luck. 
  • lousubcap
    Options
    Whoa...going from not ready to "Away we go"...Just trim ala the Aaron Franklin video, weigh and then pause.  Starting with 12 lbs means you will end up with somewhere around 10 LBs (as mentioned above).  Now you can go all night and see where you are in the AM or start in the AM and finish in the PM.
    A few other considerations:  when do you want to slice (on demand) and eat?
    That alone will help with the start-time.  
    If you are going to go for it-then get your fire stabilized for a good hour before loading the brisket.  (stable means no vent movement with the temp close to where you want (and no variance).
    I would offer that if you have the time to monitor the cook throughout it will be a whole lot easier on you.  FWIW-
  • FATC1TY
    FATC1TY Posts: 888
    Options
    I'd skip an overnighter for the first try, IMO.

Just get up early and toss it on. Plan for an hour a pound, it'll probably give you enough time to wrap and rest in a cooler till time to slice and serve anyways.

If I put one on overnight, it would be done before I got up.. HAH!
    -FATC1TY
    Grillin' and Brewing in Atlanta
    LBGE
    MiniMax
  • jwc6160
    Options
    Putting it on around 10pm. Kids will have me up around 6:30. I figure the temp will be down a bit and I can kick it back up for the last few hours. I debated on putting it on in the morning, but I probably wouldn't get it on until 8am or so. I don't want to have it done at 8pm Sunday night. 
  • lousubcap
    Options
    Your brisket-your cook.  Enjoy the journey and most importantly enjoy the eats.  
  • MotownVol
    MotownVol Posts: 1,040
    Options
    I have done a bunch of overnight cooks.   At my age I cant make it through the night anyway, so I just check the temp around 3 AM and make any necessary adjustments.  Don't worry about it, just let the egg stabilize prior to putting the brisket on.
    Morristown TN, LBGE and Mini-Max.
  • onedbguru
    onedbguru Posts: 1,647
    Options
    The best briskets I have done were consistently cooked to 188, then FTC'ed.  When I went above that, it usually dried out. YMMV.  

I am always confident that the egg will hold the temp overnight. Practice makes perfect.
  • logchief
    logchief Posts: 1,415
    edited May 2016
    Options
    There's nothing wrong with left over brisket.  Keeps great when you vac pac it for later.  Lot's of good advice up there, especially from @lousubcap.  Good luck and post pics
    LBGE - I like the hot stuff.  The big dry San Joaquin Valley, Clovis, CA 
  • StillH2OEgger
    StillH2OEgger Posts: 3,748
    Options
    I have a remote thermometer, but control temps the old fashioned way. Have not done brisket overnight, but have done pork shoulders and always seem to get an alarm when it reaches about 165 degrees. I don't know if it has anything to do with the stall changing the atmosphere in the egg or just the lump after burning for a while, but I always get a temp drop in the BGE at that point. Long story short, I suggest you getting up at least once in the middle of the night to check on your temp. The BGE is reliable and consistent, but even when starting out stable mine always seems to require a very minor adjustment midstream. The last thing you want is the fire going out. Either way, good luck.
    Stillwater, MN
  • dougcrann
    dougcrann Posts: 1,129
    Options
    Cooked an 11.7 pound packer today. Didn't touch the fat cap. Took maybe 6 ounces of the rock hard fat off. Used my Reverse Flow...was running 275-300*. Took about 7.5 hours. 
    Would suggest you do some reading. And then flip a coin...you will find the crew that swears if you cook it over 225* it will dry out. You will also find a crew that says 350*+ is the way to go...with the thinking that lonslo is why they dry out. Wrap with foil....wrap with Butchers paper....have even seen some folks say a brown bag is the way to go. 
    Also suggest that you experiment to see what works for you. Have only done 6-7 briskeys....the one today was head and shoulders above the others...
  • westernbbq
    westernbbq Posts: 2,490
    Options
    You can cut it in half and easily simply seperate point from flat, the two muscles that compose a whole brisket.   You can do a straight shot or look for where the flat blends into the point and begin to work a long thin carving knife along thatbfat ridge to seperate the two.  They sort of go together like puzzle pieces

But, my best briskets have always been the whole thing, not seperated and made as one hunka meat.   Rock star results every time

• jwc6160
    Options
    Adventure over. I got sick, like can't leave the bed sick suddenly and had to put it on in the morning. Went about 10 hours total. After reading and getting a bit worried about a stall I wrapped for the last hour or so. Could have trimmed it better, added more rub, and maybe injected, but it came out pretty damn good. Especially for my first time, being sick, and generally not knowing what the hell I was doing. Thanks for all the help and suggestions. 

• SmyrnaGA
    SmyrnaGA Posts: 438
    Options
    Looks great!

Large BGE, Small BGE, KJ Jr, and a Cracked Vision Kub.

in Smyrna GA.

• thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,357
    Options
    Dude seriously???  For a first timer that looks amazing for a seasoned vet that looks pretty damned good!  Nice job!
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • lousubcap
    Options
    Most eggcellent cook.  And especially noteworthy given the audibles on the journey.  Congrats.
  • westernbbq
    Options
    Im cooking my 27th brisket this week. Perhaps you could gibe some pointers?  Mine dont look that good.

Nice job
  • Toxarch
    Toxarch Posts: 1,900
    edited May 2016
    Options
    Sure looks good in the picture. 
    And like mentioned, leftover brisket vacuum sealed and frozen is great. Tacos, nachos, sandwiches, pizza topping, etc.
    Aledo, Texas
    Large BGE
    KJ Jr.

Exodus 12:9 KJV
    Eat not of it raw, nor sodden at all with water, but roast with fire; his head with his legs, and with the purtenance thereof.

• jwc6160
    Options
    Im cooking my 27th brisket this week. Perhaps you could gibe some pointers?  Mine dont look that good.

Nice job

Haha, thanks. It turned out so much better than I expected. I figured at 2 bucks a pound I would just use this as a test cook, but it came out so much better.

My tips consist of this. Buy meat at what appears to be on sale, Google "said meat on big green egg", follow recipe about as half assed as possible, come here for questions/tips, let Egg do the work. 

I've said it a million times, but this thing is amazing. I'm an ok cook at best and bought the egg for no apparent reason. I love using it, and cook on it at least once a week and everything comes out good to great regardless of my errors. 
  • westernbbq
    Options
    I dont golf, i Egg!