Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

New grid

Options
I need to order a new grid for my large BGE. Any recommendations for an online store? Is cast iron best? I want a grid that I can keep clean and doesn't rust like the one that I have.

Comments

• FATC1TY
    FATC1TY Posts: 888
    Options
    I enjoy my cast iron grid. Infact I use it 100 percent of the time, unless I need to use my bbq guru and grid temp clip, then I toss the original grate on top of it while it's all in the woo.

The cast iron doesn't rust on me. I seasoned it with... food. I cook 4-6 times a week on my egg, and it's well seasoned enough it releases mosts all foods, including fish.

I like the BGE one, but I will say, mine did crack on the edge, hasn't come apart, but probably did so from the high temp cooks. Some people cut theirs to add an expansion joint so to speak.
    -FATC1TY
    Grillin' and Brewing in Atlanta
    LBGE
    MiniMax
  • GregW
    GregW Posts: 2,677
    Options
    You have touched on a sensitive subject. Opinions are very strong when if comes to the choice of grates.
    I'm firmly in the stainless steel group.
    I have an official cast iron grid from BGE. It's a total rust heap. It's free to a good home for anyone in the area.

Cast iron would be good if you are very careful to properly maintain it to prevent rust. I'm not that careful.

• Hotch
    Hotch Posts: 3,564
    edited May 2016
    Options
    I may be in the minority but I really like my HiQue 3/8 rod Stainless a Steel cooking grate.
    I have also cleaned it in the diswasher!

Large BGE, MiniMAX BGE, 2 Mini BGE's, R&V Fryer, 36" Blackstone Griddle, Camp Chef Dual Burner 40K BTU Stove
    BGE Chiminea
    Prosper, TX
  • Theophan
    Theophan Posts: 2,654
    Options
    Unlike a lot of folks, here, I just don't care about grill marks, so a cast iron grill offers me no benefit and potential problems (for many folks, they rust).

I have the older grids with the ceramic coating or whatever it was, and they've rusted, and what I keep wanting is new stainless grids.  I haven't quite wanted them enough to pay the money, yet, but one of these days I'll probably get me at least one for each Egg (I have a Medium and a Large).
  • Hotch
    Options
    Tony_T said:
    I like my SS from Michael's Custom Grill Works
    He also has great products for you BGE
    Large BGE, MiniMAX BGE, 2 Mini BGE's, R&V Fryer, 36" Blackstone Griddle, Camp Chef Dual Burner 40K BTU Stove
    BGE Chiminea
    Prosper, TX
  • westernbbq
    westernbbq Posts: 2,490
    Options
    Thick SS from ceramic grill store.   I wore out the stock grid that comes with bge in 10 months

A cast iron is best for searing but i dont recommend it for all cooking applications
  • Biggreenpharmacist
    Options
    Unless you are going to use your cast iron grid a lot (i use mine as my primary grid) I would opt for something else. My CI grid stays in my egg. Its seasoned and NEVER rusts. 

Little Rock, AR

• GregW
    GregW Posts: 2,677
    Options
    Hotch said:
    I may be in the minority but I really like my HiQue 3/8 rod Stainless a Steel cooking grate.

I still have the factory stainless grid.
    I've been thinking of getting the one like yours.
    Does yours cook better? like better sear marks?

Also where did you get yours from?
    Thanks
  • Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    edited May 2016
    Options
    I'm with BGP, and would recommend SS to most folks due to misuse of CI.  Seems to be a difficult subject to comprehend.  My Mangrates and Raichlen CI Tuscan Grill are either in the egg or kettle, or sitting outside on a table if using other setups.  No rust.  I tend to eat visually as well, so I like a good sear, marks. And so do my peeps who come over to break bread at the table.  

The SS grids I have cannot get it done to my liking.  The sear is too weak.

Once seasoning is properly established with CI, maintenance is a wash IMO. 
    Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• Hotch
    edited May 2016
    Options
    GregW said:
    Hotch said:

I still have the factory stainless grid.
    I've been thinking of getting the one like yours.
    Does yours cook better? like better sear marks?

Also where did you get yours from?
    Thanks
    @GregW I bought it from Morrison Supply at the Athens Eggfest 3 or 4 years ago.
    I like it and I think it does cook better / easier. The 3/8" rods with the 3/8" opening between I think works great. SS does not sear as good as CI but that's not a deal breaker for me. I have never worried about grill marks.
    I do like that it works with my (though a tight fit with a little finagling) Ceramic Grill Store Woo with or without my plate-setter. It will last forever.

BGE Chiminea
    Prosper, TX
  • jtcBoynton
    jtcBoynton Posts: 2,814
    Options
    I need to order a new grid for my large BGE. ... Is cast iron best? ...
    NO.  Some people prefer them, others do not.  I prefer a stainless steel grid - better for searing steaks. Grill marks are pretty, but flavorwise you can do better with a more open wire grid than a CI one.
    Southeast Florida - LBGE
    In cooking, often we implement steps for which we have no explanations other than ‘that’s what everybody else does’ or ‘that’s what I have been told.’  Dare to think for yourself.

• tjv
    tjv Posts: 3,830
    Options
    If cleanliness is a factor, I would make sure any stainless grid you purchase is fabricated with electro-polish quality (EPQ) stainless, usually 304/304L grade stainless for grids.  Plus as an added benefit, I would see if the grid is electro-polished (electrochemical process) after fabrication. 

EPQ wire is drawn in such a way to minimize the microscopic cracks and crevices in the wire surface.  the cracks and crevices is what gathers food debris and makes a grid hard to clean.  Having the grid electro-polished after fabrication smooths even more the wire surface and brings out the luster in the EPQ wire.  This is how we fabricate all our grids - EPQ wire with an electro-polish finish.   

Probably more than you wanted to know.   

I wonder how many grids are still being used from the original stainless bge forum order done back in the day.  

t

www.ceramicgrillstore.com ACGP, Inc.
  • Biggreenpharmacist
    Biggreenpharmacist Posts: 4,341
    edited May 2016
    Options
    Since you jumped in here, Tom, may I ask a question. I have a PSWoo CI and use my cast iron grid pretty exclusively. I want an extender and D-grid. Does that still work with my cast iron grid on my woo?  Probably a dumb question but wasnt sure. 

Little Rock, AR

• tjv
    tjv Posts: 3,830
    Options
    Since you jumped in here, Tom, may I ask a question. I have a PSWoo CI and use my cast iron grid pretty exclusively. I want an extender and D-grid. Does that still work with my cast iron grid on my woo?  Probably a dumb question but wasnt sure. 
    sure, you need the PSWoo-CI Extender and 16" sliding D grid.   we offer the extender for both PSWoo's.  Same 16" D grid on both.

t  
    www.ceramicgrillstore.com ACGP, Inc.
  • Biggreenpharmacist
    Options
    Thanks. I'll be ordering that tomorrow. 

Little Rock, AR

• BOWHUNR
    BOWHUNR Posts: 1,487
    Options
    I am also a fan of the stainless from MCGW.  I have a cast iron as my primary grid on my small and it is very well seasoned, but I never cook above 400-450*  on that egg so it stays seasoned.  I had one for my mini that I threw away because every time I did a high temp sear it would burn the seasoning off and rust again.  Got tired of cleaning and re-seasoning it all the time.  

Mike 

I'm ashamed what I did for a Klondike Bar!!

Omaha, NE
  • THEBuckeye
    THEBuckeye Posts: 4,231
    Options
    The cast iron grate is rather heavy. I'd go to a dealer if you can and feel the weight difference. Price is about the same.
    New Albany, Ohio 

• SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    I have been thinking about getting a set of the GrillGrates for the large egg. 

http://www.grillgrate.com/grillgrates-for-the-big-green-egg-large/?gclid=CNj278iM38wCFcYlgQodulsMLg

I have never cooked on these but everyone that has them seems to like them.  I don't think they will ever rust (they are aluminum).  

The only downside is you need another grid to support them so if your existing grid is rusted you may not want to keep it.  

How old is your existing grid?  They have a 5 year warranty so if it is rusted you might be able to get a warranty replacement, and I suspect they might send you a stainless steel version.

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• StillH2OEgger
    StillH2OEgger Posts: 3,746
    Options
    I haven't found any reason to go away from the stainless grid that came with my LBGE. Sometimes ignorance is bliss.
    Stillwater, MN
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    For those of you who contend that your CI hasn't rusted, I'll wager that you have one that is well "seasoned" with oil, grease and food residue. Mine looks fine too...until I do a high heat sear and burn off the crud. Surprise!! There's plenty of rust in there.

I used my CI exclusively for the first several years. Then, I put it away and have been using the stock grid ever since. Unfortunately, it's the old porcelain model. When it chips/rusts away, I'll likely be calling Tom for a nice SS. Those 3/8-inchers SS grids are nice, but too rich for my blood. As often as not, I do a raised cook and use my Weber plated steel grid (on carriage bolts) anyway.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    edited May 2016
    Options
    For those of you who contend that your CI hasn't rusted, I'll wager that you have one that is well "seasoned" with oil, grease and food residue. Mine looks fine too...until I do a high heat sear and burn off the crud. Surprise!! There's plenty of rust in there.

I used my CI exclusively for the first several years. Then, I put it away and have been using the stock grid ever since. Unfortunately, it's the old porcelain model. When it chips/rusts away, I'll likely be calling Tom for a nice SS. Those 3/8-inchers SS grids are nice, but too rich for my blood. As often as not, I do a raised cook and use my Weber plated steel grid (on carriage bolts) anyway.
    No rust here when searing feltline direct.  Wouldn't hurt knocking the dust off and raising it.
    If I need to high heat sear, it's caveman with no grid at all.  With CI, there is a sweet spot....to preheat, sear, and maintain integrity of the seasoning built.  The closest my CI grates get to the fire is in the Jumbo Joe, a spread out fire with briquettes.  The lower BTUs, steadier burn, and longer preheat, help keep the seasoning intact.
    Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,757
    Options
    tjv said:
    If cleanliness is a factor, I would make sure any stainless grid you purchase is fabricated with electro-polish quality (EPQ) stainless, usually 304/304L grade stainless for grids.  Plus as an added benefit, I would see if the grid is electro-polished (electrochemical process) after fabrication. 

EPQ wire is drawn in such a way to minimize the microscopic cracks and crevices in the wire surface.  the cracks and crevices is what gathers food debris and makes a grid hard to clean.  Having the grid electro-polished after fabrication smooths even more the wire surface and brings out the luster in the EPQ wire.  This is how we fabricate all our grids - EPQ wire with an electro-polish finish.   

Probably more than you wanted to know.   

I wonder how many grids are still being used from the original stainless bge forum order done back in the day.  

t

mine was from that order, and i believe the rig was one of the prototypes or first runs as well. still going strong, pretty much indestructible =) now my cast iron is rusty (still usable) and has cracked a few times and missing some bars
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it