Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

2nd Thoughts

Grumpa
Grumpa Posts: 861
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
My wife returned from the supermarket a couple of hours ago trying to stock up for the bad weather coming the next few days. I was helping her put the groceries away and what do I find in one of the sacks? A 5 lb pork butt! She thought it would be better to smoke it tonight and have sandwich meat for the next few days rather than waste money in the deli. Guess I be out there in the teens and what has now been changed to "snow showers" cooking with the rest of you folks.[p]So much for my "warm wuss" theroy :~)

Comments

• Char-Woody
    Char-Woody Posts: 2,642
    Bob, Hey..shiver me timbers if your not out to enjoy yourself..heeee. If you get a chance check out that super secret recipe site and enjoy the amateur pork sandwich recipe..The sauce and rub was kinda interesting tho.
    Cheers..C~W[p]

• Gfw
    Gfw Posts: 1,598
    Bob, sounds like you have a pretty smart wife! A butt from the BGE is worth more than slices from the deli - hang onto that girl.

• Bob,
    No snow tonight, but lows in the single digits! Snow is suppose to be in here by tomorrow night and all day Thursday and into Friday. They are calling for a trace to 3". Last time that meant 11" for us! Man I wish they could get their act straight! Get use to Egg'n in the cold! Its great, and you don't have to wait til spring to start all over again. The more you do it, the better it gets and the more you realize your neighbors are the only one sufferin'![p][p][p]
    dr. C

• Gfw, my sentiments exactly. I'll bet she gives you spontaneous gifts from the BGE store and Pampered Chef too.. I'd definately nominate her as CEO of emergency provisions. It's cold on the island too,, could you get her to drop a few hints to my wife?

• Grumpa
    King-O-Coals,[p]She is a GREAT lady just as I have said many times before. She can't clean house but has every other talent anyone could want. I get looked after and pampered more than I deserve. [p]Just put the butt on and man is it ever cold and windy out there. Snow showers are heading this way if you can believe the weather guy. In the morning I'll be getting my first taste of sub-freezing butt from the egg. The wife just passed thru the office and said I smell like hickory and it kind of turns her on :~) What a Woman![p]

• Cat
    Cat Posts: 556
    Bob,[p]There goes my last ally. You & I were the lone holdouts against this lunacy of cooking outdoors in subfreezing weather. (In my defense, that's how I did a pork butt on Xmas.)[p]Now I'm all alone with my pathetic tabletop-grilled sausage. But I'm WARM!![p]Small consolation -[p]Cathy [p]PS I convinced my husband a while ago that the aroma of hickory was romantic. It seemed the prudent thing to do. ;-}

• Cat, Hey, I egg when it's cold too. Just this past weekend, the temps plunged into the mid 60's and I did a pork tenderloin right in the middle of it.. It was grusome. Guru and I have been preaching the fact (to our wives) that our smelling of burning coals, rubs, and eyeglasses covered with a film of vaporized pork grease is a very manly thing. I just realized, (considering the eggqual opportuinity eggers out there) we must change our definition from using the term "manly" to, what?,, "heroic"?,,, "normal"?,,, help, we need a new word. Maybe just "erotic",, YES!, that will work for both genders.. We bez smellen good. :^)(^:

• Cat
    King-O-Coals,[p]Well thanks, Bruce, now I feel better. What does 60 degree weather feel like, again? [grin][p]You've inspired me - I'll have to work on the grease-filmed eyeglasses thing.[p]Cathy
  • Grumpa
    Cat,[p]I tried to hold out with you as long as I could and not go out to the egg but, something about a fresh butt sitting on the counter just made me go crazy. I will find a way to make it up to you as I know you feel like you carry the flag alone now. Enjoy the sausage as it could be worse and never forget...there will be a better day.[p]How hard are you laughing about our little flurries down here when you are up to your knees in the real stuff? I hope y'all are fairing well up there.

• Cat
    Bob,[p]The white stuff's turned into grey slush. Good news is that it's easier to shovel that way.[p]Our first big snow in over 3 years! We're not much more accustomed to dealing with it than you Atlantans.[p]I couldn't resist the lure of a pork butt either. The sausage wasn't all THAT tempting![p]Give us a post when that butt is done - I need the vicarious thrill.[p]Cathy

• Bob,[p]Well, the good news is that with cold temps, if your Egg "goes out" overnight, you don't have to worry about the meat spoiling, because it will freeze pretty quickly :-}
    Good luck with the butt!

• Grumpa
    Teslamania,[p]Funny you mention that..I have never experienced the fire going out on any of my overnight cooks. I am positive the fire will burn thur the night as we are having 20mph steady winds with gusts to 35mph. With that kind of air flow, I would hope Humpty can breath very well tonight.

• Bob,[p]Well, I hope that I didn't jinx you. What dome temp are you going for (did you see the discussion on SongDog's forum?). Good luck with the Cook!

• Grumpa
    Teslamania,[p]The egg decided 240* and has held steady at that for 3 hours now so I guess that is what it will be. I expect I'll need to pull it when I awake in the morning. 12 hours at that temp should be pretty close to 200* internal. I'll see what the Polder reads when I roll out of bed and step out into that deep freeze to check on it. [p]I made up some wonderful sauce from scratch and a reall good batch of slaw. Going to do sandiches for lunch for the rest of the week. I plan on setting some aside for Brunswick stew later as well.

• Bob,[p]Yeah it is tough out there tonight I had to put on my Lewis Creek hunting coat and Stetson just to flip them Char su butterfly pork chops. I hate it when it rains and gets all the way down into the low 50's at night here in Calafornee.
    Aint as young as I use ta be.
    B^)[p]Elder Ward

• Cat, mid 60 degree temps are brutal. It was so cloudy and overcast, I had trouble seeing my tenderloin when I raised the dome. I actually had to remove my sunglasses. The chil goes right to the bone. I resorted to putting on sweat pants on over my swimsuit, and was even pushed to the point of having to replace my sandels with a pair of my wife's bunny house slippers. Sure, I was not in fashion, but when old man winter comes to the island, you must do whatever it takes to survive. :^)[p]p.s. It does look like we may possibly get some ice by Thursday. It really gets interesting down here with these southern drivers when we get ice on the bridges.