Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Beef Tongue Sandwiches

Options
Pictures from along the way... more to come later!

the star of the show

Boiled

Trimmed

Rubbed and ready for the egg!

Comments

• Phatchris
    Phatchris Posts: 1,726
    Options
  • Hi54putty
    Hi54putty Posts: 1,873
    Options
    Me too
    XL,L,S 
    Winston-Salem, NC 
  • GregW
    GregW Posts: 2,677
    Options
    I think I'm going to be sick.......
    Good luck.
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,043
    Options
    Good for you!  I have a mental block with tongue.
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    Options

I admire your cook, but I could not do it.

Phoenix 
  • CtTOPGUN
    CtTOPGUN Posts: 612
    Options
    Tongue is on my list of things to try this season. Looking forward to seeing the end product.

Jim
    LBGE/Weber Kettle/Blackstone 36" Griddle/Turkey Fryer/Induction Burner/Royal Gourmet 24" Griddle/Cuisinart Twin Oaks/Pit Boss Tabletop pellet smoker/Instant Pot

BBQ from the State of Connecticut!

Jim
  • onedbguru
    onedbguru Posts: 1,647
    Options
    I'm sorry, but there is just no reason eat tongue. 
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options
    I'm following this closely!!  About 3 wks ago I had braised beef tongue at a restaurant here in town and was blown away by how good it was.  I've never had smoked but I will do a braised one before long.  

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • Wardster
    Wardster Posts: 1,006
    Options
    If you don't know what your eating, it's crazy good.  I'm at the point where I can eat it knowing I'm eating it.  I'm still not ready to buy one, prep it, cook it and eat it. 
    Apollo Beach, FL
  • HellrodKC
    HellrodKC Posts: 174
    Options
    The finished product! Flavor is decent, good smoke, little spice from the rub. Not super tender though... Not sure if I did anything wrong or if tongue is just better suited to braising. It's great on rye with brown mustard!

to be honest, not sure if I would make this again. The process is slow and labor intensive for not a ton of yield. Glad to have said I've done it, but might leave it to the pros from now on. 
  • theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    Options
    Never had it smoked, but braised is a beefy flavor powerhouse. 
  • Basscat
    Basscat Posts: 803
    Options
    Boil it 4 hours, skin it, slice it, and put it on buttered white bread. That's how Grandma did it, and that's how I always do it. I've got a Buffalo tongue in the freezer, might try adding a little smoke to that, we'll see... Your cook looks good!
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    Looks pretty good for a 1st try. It took me several times to get good at removing the skin. As I mentioned, I now pressure cook it for 10 minutes or so.

The tip can be pretty hard to cook. Mostly connective tissue, and no fat. I suppose it might be a good cut for a 72 hour SV, then a couple hours in smoke. Conceivably, steaming thin slices just before serving, like pastrami, might improve the tenderness.

For those of you who can't stand the idea, thanks, maybe that will keep the price down. Geez, I can remember when ox tail cost about .10/lb. Yeah, hard to work w., but made really good chili.

I suppose I'll eventually try tripe, tho' I understand it can take 4 - 7 days to make it.
  • Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    Options
    The Mexican grill I frequent makes an awesome tongue torta.  I believe they braise.  
    Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• bluebird66
    bluebird66 Posts: 2,727
    Options
    I love beef tongue! People think I'm crazy for liking it.
    Large Egg with adjustable rig, Kick Ash Basket, Minimax and various Weber's.
    Floyd Va

• Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    Options
    Wonder if you could two stage it, like Pepper Stout Beef on the egg?  Smoke for a while, then braise to finish.  Could even braise sans lid, and add more liquid during the cook for smoke flavor.
    Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."