Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

The best thing you've ever cooked on a BGE?

Options

Comments

• Dredger
    Dredger Posts: 1,468
    Options
    This was fantastic. The Joetisserie has been a game-changer.

We like it a lot.
    Large BGE
    Greenville, SC
  • bboulier
    bboulier Posts: 558
    Options
    So many good things.  But, I think I would have to go with beef ribs.
    Weber Kettle, Weber Genesis Silver B, Medium Egg, KJ Classic (Black)
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    Dredger said:
    This was fantastic. The Joetisserie has been a game-changer.

We like it a lot.
    OH my!  Beautiful plate!
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • TheToast
    TheToast Posts: 376
    Options
    @SGH I've heard grilled oysters are amazing. How long do you grill for and what temp? Thanks!

@gdenby Wow! How many does that serve? And what's your method? Thanks 

• ProductPoet
    ProductPoet Posts: 63
    Options
    I completely agree. The Joetisserie is my favorite new accessory.
    I EGG, therefore I am.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    My Website
    YouTube
  • THEBuckeye
    THEBuckeye Posts: 4,231
    edited May 2016
    Options
    White Chicken Chile

New Albany, Ohio 

• blind99
    blind99 Posts: 4,971
    Options

@acn those korean wraps look incredible!  i need to steal that idea now.

@sgh great looking brisket there.  the brisket gods were smiling!  i've never used an injection, but i think it's time to try.  boy do i wish we could get fresh oysters in the midwest.... alway disappointed when i buy them up here

Chicago, IL - Large and Small BGE - Weber Gasser and Kettle
  • tarheelmatt
    tarheelmatt Posts: 9,867
    Options
    Why haven't I clicked on this till now!  Some nice cooks here.   I don't really have a best in my book really.  
    ------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    Why haven't I clicked on this till now!  Some nice cooks here.   I don't really have a best in my book really.  
    OK camera guy.....all them pictures and you can't come up with one single one? I am going with lazy on this one. 
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • minniemoh
    minniemoh Posts: 2,145
    Options
    The most delicious thing I've had off the egg is not even a difficult cook. Just turns out fantastic. The planked mashed potatoes were good too but the alder planked salmon with a horseradish/chive compound butter is just ridiculously good. Haven't made it in a long time now.

My very close runner up is this:

L x2, M, S, Mini and a Blackstone 36. She says I have enough now....
    eggAddict from MN!
  • Plcharfoon
    Plcharfoon Posts: 32
    Options
    Lobsters in tarragon butter...
  • TheToast
    Options
    @minniemoh Time & temp for that salmon? Looks amazing! Is it skin-on?
  • SmokingPiney
    SmokingPiney Posts: 2,282
    Options
    I think my best cook so far was a reverse seared rib roast I did for Easter. It was end to end perfection.  :)

South Jersey Pine Barrens. XL BGE , Assassin 24, Weber Kettle, CharBroil gasser, AMNPS 
  • minniemoh
    minniemoh Posts: 2,145
    Options
    TheToast said:
    @minniemoh Time & temp for that salmon? Looks amazing! Is it skin-on?
    Thank you. It was skin on (down on the plank). The plank is Alder, which I like much better than cedar for salmon. Preheated plank and 375 degrees until 130 internal and then just a few minutes rest. I think it took about 15-20 min.
    L x2, M, S, Mini and a Blackstone 36. She says I have enough now....
    eggAddict from MN!
  • Fred19Flintstone
    Fred19Flintstone Posts: 8,168
    edited May 2016
    Options
    For me, I enjoy cooking with my eggs.  I enjoy the whole experience.  Except washing chicken.  I've never enjoyed that.

A year or two ago, the equipment manager for The University of Michigan football team retired after 40 some odd years.  In an interview when asked which championship was the most special to him, his reply was, "The next one."

That's how I feel about what I cook on the egg.  The best thing I ever cook on the egg is whatever's next.

edit:  GO BLUE!
    Flint, Michigan
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    TheToast said:
    @SGH I've heard grilled oysters are amazing. How long do you grill for and what temp? Thanks!

@TheToast
    Sorry for my delayed response. For some reason I didn't get a notification on you comment. But I have seen it now and will gladly respond accordingly my friend. Grilled oysters are honestly in my top 3 favorite things to eat. They are simply outstanding. 
    As far as how long to cook them, well that depends on several things. First, the size of the oysters themselves. Second, how hot and how close you are cooking them to the fire. Third, and most importantly, how done you prefer them. 
    Me myself, I love raw oysters. As such, when I chargrill oysters, I do not cook them very much. For the most part I basically warm them through in the hot butter and garlic mix. 
    If you actually want them done, just watch the actual oyster and when it just starts to curl up it is done my friend. Cooking beyond this is over cooking and will yield rubbery oysters. 
    There really is no ideal temp to cook at. Just don't run so hot that you don't have time to handle and remove them without over cooking. More often than not, I run 500-600 degrees at gasket level on my Woo. Cooking them at gasket level makes handling and removing them much simpler. 
    Again, my apologies for my late response. I usually get a notification when someone tags me. But for some reason I did not this time. Hope that this helps my friend. And may the Oyster Gods smile down upon you. 

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• SGH
    Options
    @TheToast
    Addendum to the above text:
    Above I left out that it usually takes 2-4 minutes for the oysters to cook. Again, that will ultimately be determined by how hot that you are running, how close to the heat source they are, and how done that you want them. 

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• Dredger
    Dredger Posts: 1,468
    Options
    Geez, I wish I could get decent raw oysters in the shell here. I love those things.
    Large BGE
    Greenville, SC
  • SGH
    Options
    jhb076 said:
    First post on the forum. Smoked a crown pork roast yesterday and a couple of tri tips. Turn out awesome. 
    My brother, you should have posted this in a new thread. Simply spectacular by any measure. It's cooks like this that I'm proud to give the seal of approval. As such:

What more could one ask for? A Crown Roast with tritip on the side. Way to go buddy.  

Status- Standing by.

• TheToast
    Options
    @SGH No need to apologise! Thanks for the info. I also like raw oysters so will have to give them a go, lightly cooked. Thanks
  • Sea2Ski
    Sea2Ski Posts: 4,088
    Options

My favorite "show off" cook is maybe beef wellington. 

@Darby_Crenshaw Individual or the whole filet? I am itching to do individual wellingtons, but for some reason I am nervous as I have never done them. Ever. If individual, I would love to know your method step by step so I do not ruin several good fillets at once.
    --------------------------------------------------
    Burning lump in Downingtown, PA or diesel in Cape May, NJ.
    ....just look for the smoke!
    Large and MiniMax
    --------------------------------------------------

Caliking said:   Meat in bung is my favorite. 
  • Darby_Crenshaw
    Darby_Crenshaw Posts: 2,657
    Options
    Sea2Ski said:

My favorite "show off" cook is maybe beef wellington. 

@Darby_Crenshaw Individual or the whole filet? I am itching to do individual wellingtons, but for some reason I am nervous as I have never done them. Ever. If individual, I would love to know your method step by step so I do not ruin several good fillets at once.
    i have done the whole tenderloin a few times, and individual ones twice

i gave them a quick sear, dome open only (no roasting) and let them cool completely.  then built them as you would a regular wellington.  there should be a ton of recipes out there now.  gordon ramsey does wellies all the time.  i think he has a video if i recall.

yep.  here's a link to one of his wellington recipes.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5uXIPhxL5XA

that's for a full wellington, but it's the same drill for individual ones
    [social media disclaimer: irony and sarcasm may be used in some or all of user's posts; emoticon usage is intended to indicate moderately jocular social interaction; the comments toward users, their usernames, and the real people (living or dead) that they refer to are not intended to be adversarial in nature; those replying to this user are entering into a tacit agreement that they are real-life or social-media acquaintances and/or have agreed to or tacitly agreed to perpetrate occasional good-natured ribbing between and among themselves and others]

• kl8ton
    kl8ton Posts: 5,429
    Options
    @jhb076

That has to be a forum first.  A first post receives an @SGH  seal of approval! Congratulations!
    Large, Medium, MiniMax, & 22, and 36" Blackstone
    Grand Rapids MI
  • Chill_n_Grill65
    Options
    So many things to choose from, but the one that seemed to be the biggest hit was these pork belly burnt ends!
  • PeteSliver
    Options
    I love pork belly burn ends!!!
  • vb4677
    vb4677 Posts: 686
    edited January 2021
    Options
    While I've had some really good cooks of brisket, beef ribs and all sorts of pork come out of my LBGE, I can't quite pick the overall 'best' - but I can pick the most positively surprising cook!  

A few years back for a mid-week cook, I got some locally produced Italian sausage, and did some peppers & onions tossed in EVOO and other Italian spices.  Eye openingly fantastic how well it came out!  Just enough of the plain lump smoke on the links, and that classic Italian flavors on the veggies was just spectacular.

Kansas City: Too Much City for One State - Missouri side
    2 Large BGE's, Instant Pot, Anova Sous Vide, and a gas smoker...
    Barbeque, Homebrew and Blues...
  • vb4677
    vb4677 Posts: 686
    Options

Kansas City: Too Much City for One State - Missouri side
    2 Large BGE's, Instant Pot, Anova Sous Vide, and a gas smoker...
    Barbeque, Homebrew and Blues...
  • TheToast
    Options
    Wow this thread is a blast from the past. Method on those belly burnt ends @Chill_n_Grill65 ?
  • Mark_B_Good
    Mark_B_Good Posts: 1,521
    Options
    Oh wow. Well I have to say it was my first brisket cook.  But I did do a full tenderloin that surprised me how good it came out ... and how easy it was to cook!
    Napoleon Prestige Pro 665, XL BGE, Lots of time for BBQ!