Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

PS Woo Question

I have seen some posts in here about how much people like their PS Woo from CGS. I know that it will allow you to raise the grid to felt level. My question is, if I already have the adjustable rig, will I also benefit from having the PS Woo? The AR will allow me to cook slightly above felt level and I already have the oval plate setter, rig extender, 2 oval grates, and the sliding D grate. I would buy the PS Woo as well if I knew I could do something with it I can't do with the AR. I am going to buy a Woo and plate setter for my MM as well as the wok.

Comments

• SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    smokeyw said:
     My question is, if I already have the adjustable rig, will I also benefit from having the PS Woo?
    Im one of those people who believe that you can never have to many set ups. As such, I own both a AR and a Woo. The Woo really doesn't offer any thing that the AR doesn't as far as cooking goes. With that said, if you have a plate setter the Woo does make life easier. I use the Woo for 99% of my cooks. Its simple and does what its suppose to do. About the only time I use my AR is for brisket and ribs. For everything else I use the Woo. I really like cooking at gasket level and the Woo is perfect for this. Hey, if you have the money get both. Its always good to have a back up..

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• smokeyw
    smokeyw Posts: 367

Thanks SGH, I was just looking for a nudge to get me talked into it.

• minniemoh
    minniemoh Posts: 2,145
    edited May 2016
    I have both the AR and the PS Woo2 CI. I bought my first Woo and liked it so much that I bought one for each egg. The thing I like is being able to lift out the grid, drip pan, and plate setter all at one time. That convenience is worth it to me alone. The AR gets used for brisket, smoking bacon, and large batches of wings. Nearly all my other cooks use the Woo.
    L x2, M, S, Mini and a Blackstone 36. She says I have enough now....
    eggAddict from MN!
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    smokeyw said:

Thanks SGH, I was just looking for a nudge to get me talked into it.

Careful.....that wise man can put you in the poor house. =)
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • smokeyw
    ;)  You have to properly "accessorize". Besides, I'm already in the poor house
  • Jeepster47
    Jeepster47 Posts: 3,827
    I have two large eggs ... one is equipped with a PSWoo and extension while the other is equipped with an AR and extension.  The simplicity of the PSWoo wins the "which one should I cook on" well over 90% of the time.  I've even used the oval stone and drip pan on the PSWoo rack to cook ribs. See first pic here:

http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1180892/plate-setter-options/p1

If I could only have one set up; a spider and 13" CI grid, PSWoo, and extension with D-grid. 

Washington, IL  >  Queen Creek, AZ ... Two large eggs and an adopted Mini Max

• minniemoh
    minniemoh Posts: 2,145
    I have two large eggs ... one is equipped with a PSWoo and extension while the other is equipped with an AR and extension.  The simplicity of the PSWoo wins the "which one should I cook on" well over 90% of the time.  I've even used the oval stone and drip pan on the PSWoo rack to cook ribs. See first pic here:

http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1180892/plate-setter-options/p1

If I could only have one set up; a spider and 13" CI grid, PSWoo, and extension with D-grid. 

I totally agree. I know there are a lot of folks that would not be without their AR, but the Woo with @Jeepster47's set up would be a great way to go in my opinion.
    L x2, M, S, Mini and a Blackstone 36. She says I have enough now....
    eggAddict from MN!
  • Wardster
    Wardster Posts: 1,006
    Looks like their sold out at the moment, is that normal? 
    Apollo Beach, FL
  • bettysnephew
    bettysnephew Posts: 1,188
    I have an XL with the Woo/AR. The Woo never leaves the Egg and the AR is used when needed. If you haven't bought yet it was a little cheaper to buy the combination and it saves on shipping later. If it is within budget buy both, you will not regret the purchase. I have a cook coming the end of this month for the neighbor boys' graduation and will be using my setup for a mega butt cook.
    A poor widows son.
    See der Rabbits, Iowa
  • Jeepster47
    Jeepster47 Posts: 3,827
    Wardster said:
    Looks like their sold out at the moment, is that normal? 
    @Wardster ... give them a call and ask when it will be available.  They make the product in town, so you shouldn't expect a long delay.

Washington, IL  >  Queen Creek, AZ ... Two large eggs and an adopted Mini Max

• tjv
    tjv Posts: 3,830
    I appreciate the thread, learning some new things on our products.  

on pswoo availability, we are reworking the tooling fixture (jig) used to weld them together.  So, will be a week or so before available.

just to clarify rig vs pswoo with a one grid cook, the rig is as simple to use as the pswoo.  just drop either on the fire ring, add the bge stock grid on top and appropriate ceramic piece if bbqing.

I prefer the rig as the ceramic stone is above the fire ring for better airflow out of the fire ring.  I can use different stone shapes depending on what's bbqing.  Also, the grid is in dome for easier temperature control when grilling.  

cool thing with both, rig and pswoo, is you can lift the entire set up out of the grill without taking anything apart.  quick access to the lump.

thanks, t
    www.ceramicgrillstore.com ACGP, Inc.
  • SGH
     tjv said:
    I prefer the rig as the ceramic stone is above the fire ring for better airflow out of the fire ring.  
    This can be accomplished with the Woo as well if you have a spider and stone. Simply turn the spider upside down, lay either a round or oval stone on it, insert the Woo and grid without the plate setter and there you are. Almost like magic.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• SGH
    The method I suggested above puts the stone kind of high, but for low to medium temp cooks it works like a charm.

Status- Standing by.

• bodski
    bodski Posts: 463
    I have the PSWoo2 and use it on almost all my cooks. So simple. It includes a spider, so it's perfect for reverse searing when you put a cast iron grate on the spider. Since the grid sits right at fire level, you can go almost immediately into the searing phase. That said, at some point I plan on getting the AR as well.  

Cincinnati

LBGE, Weber Kettle

• smokeyw
    I appreciate all of the comments. It looks like the PSWOO will be beneficial even though I already have the AR with all of the accessories for that. I already knew I needed a WOO for my MM.