Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Uh oh.... guidance please?

I gave my brisket 2 days to thaw, but it is still frozen solid.

Can you put a frozen brisket on like people do pork butts?  Or is this a bad idea?

Guests are coming in tomorrow.

Comments

• SoCalTim
    SoCalTim Posts: 2,158
    Leave outside in a bucket of ice overnight to thaw out. No problem
    I've slow smoked and eaten so much pork, I'm legally recognized as being part swine - Chatsworth Ca.
  • stompbox
    stompbox Posts: 729
    ?

The issue is to smoke it for dinner tomorrow, I would have to put it on the BGE in 3 hours.... but, it is still frozen.

It was in my fridge for 2 days.
  • U_tarded
    U_tarded Posts: 2,042
    Drop it in some ice water for the time up to the smoke at least to soften it so you can season it and maybe trim it up.  If the center is still frozen it will thaw in the smoke.  Might ad some cook time but you probably won't notice much over the length of a brisket.
  • SoCalTim
    SoCalTim Posts: 2,158
    Put it in a bucket with water. Leave it in your kitchen to de-thaw. Should be mostly done just before you go to bed.
    I've slow smoked and eaten so much pork, I'm legally recognized as being part swine - Chatsworth Ca.
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    You can put it on frozen. No harm no foul. After it thaws on the BGE, season the crap out of it. All cooking it frozen will do is add time to the overall cook time. Nothing more.

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• blind99
    blind99 Posts: 4,971
    is it cryovaced?  if so you can stick it in a cooler and put it in the bathtub and run water over it for a few hours. ( i bet it'd work fine to throw it in the egg frozen, too, and throw some seasoning on in a few hours but i've never done it.)
    Chicago, IL - Large and Small BGE - Weber Gasser and Kettle
  • DaveRichardson
    DaveRichardson Posts: 2,324
    Egg on. Get the surface where it's jiggly and season per usual. Add some cool time or bump up the temp a tab. 

LBGE #19 from North GA Eggfest, 2014

Stockbridge, GA - just south of Atlanta where we are covered up in Zombies!  #TheWalkingDead films practically next door!

• stompbox
    Yes, it is a cryovac SRF black brisket.  Thanks guys.... I guess I may try a bathtub SV? Lol.
  • stompbox
    I alao was worried how I would trim it otherwise.
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,128
    Don't trim it. I never do. 
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,174
    @DoubleEgger -  never have had a SRF that I didn't trim (black only) of the hard fat and a bit more.  Good for you to cut down on the prep work.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Thatgrimguy
    Thatgrimguy Posts: 4,723
    I trim pretty aggressively. Take any meat you trim off and make it into the best hamburger you ever ate and render the fat down for kobe beef tallow.  
    XL, Small, Mini & Mini Max Green Egg, Shirley Fab Trailer, 6 gal and 2.5 gal Cajun Fryers, BlueStar 60" Range, 48" Lonestar Grillz Santa Maria, Alto Shaam 1200s, Gozney Dome, Gateway 55g Drum
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,984
    Don't trim it. I never do. 
    I did not trim my last full packer, seasoned the shet out of it, trimmed off the excess fat after the cook, turned out to be the best ever. Just one more thing; I thawed the brisket using running water over the cryovac package, did not get it completely thawed, 14+ pounder, wrapped at 160, done in 9.5 hours, at 250-275F dome. Surprised the heck out of me.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    blasting said:

I have this image of your wife walking into the bathroom and finding a SRF brisket in the tub surrounded by candles...
    and rose petals.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• andrewwesty
    andrewwesty Posts: 14
    edited May 2016
    My go to defrost method is in a sink full of as much water as I can fit in there with the meat without overflowing. The large volume of above freezing temp water touching every surface of the bagged meat is the most efficient way to get the temp of the meat above freezing. I got this from Alton brown's good eats if my memory serves correctly. With a brisket, the tub is probably a more appropriate vessel to get the job done. Just use cool water, not hot, that way you can keep the meat at a safe temperature, and not partially cook it. 
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Listen to @SGH..... He knows briskets like I know pbr 
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • SGH
    henapple said:
    It's this little things like this that make you my favorite Uncle. 

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 18,945
    henapple said:
    I wonder if he has cooked more briskets than you have drank of PBR?
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • SGH
    edited May 2016
    henapple said:
    I wonder if he has cooked more briskets than you have drank of PBR?
    I'm going to go out on a limb here and say no. Unc can drink :D

Status- Standing by.

• Crimsongator
    Crimsongator Posts: 5,797
    SGH said:
    You can put it on frozen. No harm no foul. After it thaws on the BGE, season the crap out of it. All cooking it frozen will do is add time to the overall cook time. Nothing more.
    The only thing I might add is that after 2 days, the outside of the brisket is likely soft enough to receive a rub even though the inside might be more solid
  • blind99

so what did you end up doing, and how did it work out?

• stompbox
    edited May 2016
    I did a warm bath soak for 2 hours while I took my kids to swim lessons.  By the time I got home, all was thawed but the point, but it was only slightly frozen.  I actually wish I had used cooler water, it was pretty hot.

I was able to trim, season it, and get it on the egg by 7:10.  Perfect.

I have the cook at 235 right now with the brisket at 170.2 so..... it may actually finish up a bit early, we will see.  Inlaws should be here around 6.

• blind99
    Fantastic. Looking forward to the final product. 
  • stompbox
    Pulled at 191, beautiful brisket!

• blind99
    BAM!  :clap: