Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Adding a small egg

Carl T
Carl T Posts: 179
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I have a large egg and couldn't be happier. However, there is a nagging thought that I should get myself a small egg for Christmas. My large lights and is ready to cook in 10-12 minutes. Does the small light faster? I'm sure the small uses less lump. Is the small used mainly for grilling a couple of burgers, steaks, chicken etc?[p]Any comments from multiple egg owners regarding the benefits of complimenting my large with a small would be appreciated. [p]Carl T

Comments

• Carl T, I read several post about how hard it is to regulate temp. I don't have one myself. Just what I read.
  • Rotor
    Rotor Posts: 53
    Carl T,[p]Great topic. I've only had my large egg for a month. Love it to death, but I've been getting small egg envy. Mostly thinking it would be great to sear on the small egg at 700+ and then right onto the large to finish. This logic is not being well received by the smarter member of my family ... [p]Rotor
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,880
    J. Wilson, don't know where that misinformation came from. I can regulate my small just as easily as my large. As for the idea of getting the small as a companion DO IT! You won't regret the purchase at all! I mostly use my small for after-burner temps for steaks and chops, but it fires up quickly and consumes less lump.
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Carl T,
    I picked up a small about 5 months after I got my large, and I use it more than I culd imagine. It actually starts a little bit slower than the large, because the air intake is much smaller. Yet it is a workhorse, and can do great searing (cuz the meat is closer to the coals), and a great lo/slo too. Can be easily transported. Makes a great secondary cooker, for when you have a big lo/slo going on the large. Say you wanna grill some wings why your brisket cooks on the large. Or you wanna do potatoes while yu cook your steak. It will all become clear when you get one![p]Basically, it does everything the large can, but in less quantity.
    Merry Christmas
    NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • Carl T,
    Just a tip you can light your egg very fast by adding a couple of things to your arsenal. You can buy a charcoal lighter at walmart that has a handle and looks like a metal bucket (I don't know the official name), it has a handle on it and a place underneath to put paper. If you have a propane burner you can light your charcoal in this on top of the burner and it will get your charcoal going in about 3 minutes. Then pour into your bge. But if your looking for a good excuse for getting another one, tell her you can take the small one tailgating or other places. Hope I helped.

• Tim M
    Tim M Posts: 2,410
    Sparkplug,[p]That's called a chimney starter. I have 2 of them and used them for awhile but the sparks coming from it made me nervous on my deck. They get the lump red hot in a few minutes but they can go nuclear if forgotten about for a short time. I went to the Webber firecubes under the grate. Much easier!!!!![p]Tim
  • Sundown
    Sundown Posts: 2,980
    Carl T,
    I have a Mini and it took a little to figure out the differences between it and my large Egg. The meats are just a little closer to the lump and the heat control was a little 'touchier' compared to Mr. Big. Took a bit but it works great.[p]carey

• ChefRD
    ChefRD Posts: 438
    Carl T,
    Hi Carl. The 'only' complaint I have with the small is that the dome doesn't open far enough. It cooks great, but after using the large with the self locking bands, you won't be satisfied with a dome that only partially opens. ;)
    It seems that it only opens half way and then stops. Other than this, it works great and it is a good investment. It does everything I want for a small grill.
    Later, ChefRD

• Bamabob
    Bamabob Posts: 246
    Tim M,
    Thanks much for yours and GFWs sites be lost without them. Just a basic question,I,ve been using the Weber cubes for a few months and always started my fire by putting cube down in lump close to bottom plate after sturring,clearing air holes and adding fresh lump.I've noticed before that EGGers have mentioned lighting fire UNDER the grate,now you mention it again,I can't stand not knowing how this is done any longer! Do you just lay the lighted cube on ashes under grate or what? Preciate any info. Bob

• KennyG
    KennyG Posts: 949
    deckeggs.jpg
    <p />Carl T,[p]Small "R2D2" joined the family over a year ago has since become the most often used Egg. Most of the time, I'm just cooking for 2 and the little guy has cut my lump consumption considerably. As was mentioned, it's a better low volume grill than the large and really comes in handy for bigger gatherings - making sides or appetizers while Humpty large is working on the main course.[p]K~G

• Tim M
    KennyG,[p]Give us a report on the chimena. How does it work on the wood deck? Is it able to heat much? I always worried about sparks popping out of the hole in front.[p]Tim
  • Tim M
    Bamabob,[p]Yes.
    I got away from removing the old ash after every cook or two and am now on the every 8-10 cooks I remove the old ash. I take a long tool, that I use to remove the grates, and flatten out the ash after I have stired the old and added some fresh lump. Then insert the cube in the vent hole - lite it - push the lit cube under the grate's center. Even the ceramic grate works with this method albeit not as well as the cast iron or steel mesh grates. I do this method for fires over 300 deg since it seems to make the fire start from the bottom of the lump pile which seems to make it reach temps faster. You would not do it this way for a 225 deg fire but it's great for hot fires. Try it.[p]Tim

• Bamabob
    Bamabob Posts: 246
    Tim M,
    Thanks, I'll sure try that,didn,t figure cube flame would be high nor hot enough to ignite lump from bottom.Again thanks to you folks on Forum for puttin' up with us babyEGGers. Bob

• KennyG
    KennyG Posts: 949
    Tim M,[p]The chimey works great and will make you comfortable within a 5' radius on cool nights if it's not very windy. It most definitely spits sparks and I always set it on the mat. YB made me a great looking custom fire screen (not shown) which solved the spark problem nicely. You can even pull the chimney off and grill on it. Uses the same cooking grid that comes with a mini Egg.[p]K~G[p]
  • J. Wilson,
    I have a small egg and so far I love it. After the first several times using it, I have figured out the combination to pretty much pin point the temp that I want. My only reservation is in the limitation of the size meats that you can smoke on it. I called the BGE office in Atlanta this morning and they have several medium and large eggs that they are selling as "scratch and dent". I think one of them might have my name written on it! :-)