Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

edmonton eggers

Options
there is a large BGE for sale on kijiji in Beaumont for $1300 with a few accessories.  Seems pricey to me since there is not warranty but maybe one of you would like it.
Large BGE
BBQ Guru DigiQ II

Martensville, Saskatchewan Canada

Comments

• Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    Options
    Is that in pesos?
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • 1move
    1move Posts: 516
    Options
    Chubbs said:
    Is that in pesos?
    @Chubbs Its worse! It's the Canadian dollar pretty much equivalent to a peso nowadays 
    XLBGE, MMBGE, CyberQ
  • AlbertaEgger
    AlbertaEgger Posts: 1,387
    Options
    I think I would be sleeping in the garage if i got another one. 
    County of Parkland, Alberta, Canada
  • Charcoal_Addict
    Options
    That's the price of a brand new Classic Joe at Lowe's or only $300 off the retial list for Canada for a XL Egg.  Without warranty, that person is dreaming. It shouldn't be selling for anything higher than $700 - $750 CAD used and without any warranty.  

Some People think ceramic grill will hold 90% retail value after a year of use.  Realistically, a used Kamado with zero warranty has lost half it's value. 

I would pass on any used grill being sold that close to it's retail. 
    2x Kamado Joe Big Joes + Cyber Q Wifi + Themapen - Pizza Steel + BGE Paella Pan + BGE Ash Tools + Woo2 + Open Bar Fire Ring
  • matoch
    matoch Posts: 135
    Options
    Yeah i wouldnt pay that much for it. A large is 1200 new. i guess the accessories might be nice but I'd buy new and collect those over time.
    Edmonton, Alberta - XL & Minimax
  • bigalsworth
    bigalsworth Posts: 685
    edited May 2016
    Options
    That's the price of a brand new Classic Joe at Lowe's or only $300 off the retial list for Canada for a XL Egg.  Without warranty, that person is dreaming. It shouldn't be selling for anything higher than $700 - $750 CAD used and without any warranty.  

Some People think ceramic grill will hold 90% retail value after a year of use.  Realistically, a used Kamado with zero warranty has lost half it's value. 

I would pass on any used grill being sold that close to it's retail. 
    I feel like many in Canada don't even know what they really own, and they also have no idea that the warranty doesn't transfer.  My dealer is a butcher who does not have briskets, butts or anything that you would slow cook on an egg, even though he sells them.  He says he sells a lot of them but I have not idea what people are cooking on it.  I do realize there is more to the egg than briskets and butts but i get the feeling that no one around me knows the capabilities of it.

edit:  I said Canada, but I really mean Saskatchewan
    Large BGE
    BBQ Guru DigiQ II

• AlbertaEgger
    AlbertaEgger Posts: 1,387
    Options
    @bigalsworth , I think I get what your saying, but maybe I don't really know? I guess I can't comment as I do not know personally anyone else that owns an egg or other like it.  But as I do know the potential for the eggs I own. And put them to use. As far as dealers. I don't want to comment to much, but my dealer has a huge display, I am in there often and the sales team tend to keep their distance when people are in that area.  They are not that popular here and I don't think the sales staff has a clue on their use. I tried helping a guy out a fee weeks ago but just small chat. I'm not a big people guy or talker, just felt bad that no one could help out. Or was. So if your talking dealers then yes I agree. Owners, then maybe not. 
    County of Parkland, Alberta, Canada
  • 1move
    1move Posts: 516
    Options
    @AlbertaEgger I agree with you, some of the dealers around here hire kids and very unqualified personnel. I was at the dealer several times and the salesman had no idea about it other than its a ceramic cooker, I have stepped in several times to pass my knowledge and teach the buyer a little bit about the egg vs other charcoal grills and gas grills. Every time I took the time to explain it to them the egg has sold to that customer. Not trying to knock on dealers but if they had a demo and forced staff to use it those things especially in this town would be flying off the shelf.
    XLBGE, MMBGE, CyberQ
  • matoch
    matoch Posts: 135
    Options
    In Edmonton there are three stores that sell Big Green Eggs. Hendrix supply, Barbecue Country, and home hardware in sherwood park. Hendrix does demos but they really do a disservice to BGE when they have them. I knew more than the demo person a year before i biught my first egg and they way over cooked the sample food. I can't say there were a lot of knwlegeable people ar Barbecue Country. Surprisingly the guy with the most knowledge was at Home Hardware which also has the best price. He personally owns Eggs, Traeger and a couple other grills. It's honestly the last place I thought I would find someone who knew what they were talking about.
    Edmonton, Alberta - XL & Minimax
  • Charcoal_Addict
    Charcoal_Addict Posts: 227
    edited May 2016
    Options
    Maybe he's looking at the overpriced BBQ Country in Edmonton to determine his selling price.  

Accessories really don't add much value to the resale either.  At least not as much as people think they do.  He might be banking on a less knowledgable user to buy it. 
    2x Kamado Joe Big Joes + Cyber Q Wifi + Themapen - Pizza Steel + BGE Paella Pan + BGE Ash Tools + Woo2 + Open Bar Fire Ring
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    No way. If I brought that home, I would need to see a proctologist to have My Beautiful Wife's foot extracted.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • bigalsworth
    bigalsworth Posts: 685
    Options
    @bigalsworth , I think I get what your saying, but maybe I don't really know? I guess I can't comment as I do not know personally anyone else that owns an egg or other like it.  But as I do know the potential for the eggs I own. And put them to use. As far as dealers. I don't want to comment to much, but my dealer has a huge display, I am in there often and the sales team tend to keep their distance when people are in that area.  They are not that popular here and I don't think the sales staff has a clue on their use. I tried helping a guy out a fee weeks ago but just small chat. I'm not a big people guy or talker, just felt bad that no one could help out. Or was. So if your talking dealers then yes I agree. Owners, then maybe not. 
    I think we are on the same page, I really have no idea what know what the owners are cooking, I only know that the place that sells them is a butcher and does not carry anything other than steaks, chicken (breasts and kabobs) and other grilling type meats.  The only thing they have is some pre-marinated ribs that someone could slow cook.  They don't carry wood chunks either, only wood chips.

Far as I know everyone everyone who owns and egg could be on this site and cookin' up a storm.

Saskatchewan in general is just hard to get any sort of Grilling/smoking supply.  Only two butchers carry brisket, pork butts I have had to special order.  I have not been able to find anywhere that might carry some boutique spices so I order them out of Ontario.  Thank god Home Hardware has Maple leaf lump or I'd be eff'd
    Large BGE
    BBQ Guru DigiQ II