Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Thoughts on pig wings?

Options

My local purveyor of all things pork offers pig shank wings so naturally I picked up a package recently.  These are fresh/frozen.  I'm a little concerned that they'll be pretty chewy if I cook them over high heat.  Does anyone have experience with these guys or thoughts on the best way to go about it? 

Thanks in advance!

Glencoe, Minnesota

Comments

• HellrodKC
    HellrodKC Posts: 174
    Options
    LOVE pig wings... but can't/don't know where to get them through retail where I live, so restaurants are my only source. I think this place braises and then fries to finish. I agree they are probably tough if cooked hot and fast. You could go low and slow, then go direct and sauce them to finish? Just my 2 cents
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    I've done them standard low and slow, they turned out fine. Made some a few weeks ago, shredded the meat off the bones and mixed w. red beans and rice.

1st time I ever had them was at a restaurant. They seemed to have been braised, then finished in a hot oven. Just a little crisp on the outside, served sitting in a mustardy gravy.
  • poster
    poster Posts: 1,172
    Options
    The ones i bought were pre-cooked, you sure these arent? We deep fried and they were great
  • sheetmetalpete
    Options
    poster said:
    The ones i bought were pre-cooked, you sure these arent? We deep fried and they were great
    These are fresh right from the butcher.  I heard the partially or pre-cooked ones were quick to finish.

I think I may give these a braise of some sort & finish them direct with a glaze. 
    Glencoe, Minnesota
  • bigbadben
    bigbadben Posts: 397
    Options
    I have had hog wings in restaurants and love them. 

I I am pretty sure hog wings are pig shanks, a tough meat with a lot of connective tissue. Based on first principles, I would cook them like ribs or a butt. Low and slow, start checking at 190 F for probe tender.  
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    I had some at Flo & Santos @ Chicago south side. Might be one of the best things Ive ever eaten. 
  • Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    edited May 2016
    Options
    They are the small bone on a pork shank.
    Started buying the pre-cooked ones from a place in Pa a few years ago and now one of my restaurant contacts gets them from Sysco here in Fl for me by the case.  I buy the pre cooked 2 oz or 4 oz- I prefer the 4oz size,  nice snack A few local restaurants get around $10 for 3.  Since I buy the per-cooked, I defrost the day before the meal and get the gelatin sauce washed off, Soak in my favorite BBQ sauce marinade overnight and re-heat @350 indirect 30 minutes. Great for an eggfest. 
    Did the Florida Sunshine Fest a few years ago and it was around St Patricks Day and my cooking buddy who is Irish and I decided to call them Leprechaun Wings. 
    A beach bar I enjoy used to call them Harley Wings as the joint catered to bikers. Usually around $3.00 apiece.
    Another joint I go to has them and the precooked ones are dropped into a deep fat fryer and served with Thai sweet garlic chili sauce.
    I have never in 6-8 years seen them in a retail grocery store.
  • hondabbq
    hondabbq Posts: 1,980
    Options

We have them up here from our suppliers. they call them Pork Drummies. They are great. they come already cooked and tender. Most just add a sauce or gravy and reheat.

MMMMMMMMMM breaded and deep fried? battered and deep fried?

• Sea2Ski
    Sea2Ski Posts: 4,088
    Options
    Pigs have wings?
    They can fly now? 
    Oh boy.... lots of $hit is going to happen....
    --------------------------------------------------
    Burning lump in Downingtown, PA or diesel in Cape May, NJ.
    ....just look for the smoke!
    Large and MiniMax
    --------------------------------------------------

Caliking said:   Meat in bung is my favorite. 
  • sheetmetalpete
    Options
    Thawed my "wings" out and had a bit of a surprise.  These things were huge!  More like pig drumsticks.

I put a rub on them then went indirect at 250 deg with apple wood chips for 5 hours.

After 5 hours I sauced them (some with Famous Dave's Sweet & Sassy and some with Trader Joe's Garlic & Sriracha) and let that set for another 45 minutes.  The final product:

They were not what I was expecting but I'll definitely cook these again.
    Glencoe, Minnesota
  • 78 T140E
    78 T140E Posts: 110
    Options
    You can buy them here: Pig Wings