Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Epilogue: Ozark Oak

Comments

• Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Fred is right about Chickenshit ponds. Heading over to the Eastern Shore of Maryland is a real "treat" on a mid-90s summer day when one of Mr. Perdue's  contract farms has one opened up.
  • Fred19Flintstone
    Fred19Flintstone Posts: 8,168
    RRP said:
    Let me share a fascinating tidbit I've learned from my job.  When appraising agricultural property, I've noticed that chicken crap is the worst smelling crap.  Pig crap is pretty bad, but chicken crap is king.  
    Then are you going to weigh in on my comment about picking fly sh*t out of pepper or are you too specialized in your chosen field? 
    Ron, I'm more used to cleaning farm critter crap from my boots, but I do have a tip that might help.  If you're concerned your pepper is contaminated with fly crap, then dump the shaker and reach for the pepper mill.  You're welcome.
    Flint, Michigan
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,880
    RRP said:
    Let me share a fascinating tidbit I've learned from my job.  When appraising agricultural property, I've noticed that chicken crap is the worst smelling crap.  Pig crap is pretty bad, but chicken crap is king.  
    Then are you going to weigh in on my comment about picking fly sh*t out of pepper or are you too specialized in your chosen field? 
    Ron, I'm more used to cleaning farm critter crap from my boots, but I do have a tip that might help.  If you're concerned your pepper is contaminated with fly crap, then dump the shaker and reach for the pepper mill.  You're welcome.
    LOL - seems like you know far more than I do! Now...is it true I need to beat the p*ss out of the bull frogs so my creek won't go dry? 
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Fred19Flintstone
    Fred19Flintstone Posts: 8,168
    RRP said:
    RRP said:
    LOL - seems like you know far more than I do! Now...is it true I need to beat the p*ss out of the bull frogs so my creek won't go dry? 
    I only work in the country part of the year.  The rest of the time I do commercial & industrial property.  You learn only the basics when you don't specialize in agriculture.  Learning about crap is as basic as it gets.  Perhaps @henapple knows about the relationship of bull frogs and creeks?  He's a redneck's redneck.
    Flint, Michigan
  • jrb06
    jrb06 Posts: 52

I have a question for you SGH. At the depth the pipe is at how do they keep it from being crushed prior to pressurizing it? 

• saluki2007
    saluki2007 Posts: 6,354
    Fred is right about Chickenshit ponds. Heading over to the Eastern Shore of Maryland is a real "treat" on a mid-90s summer day when one of Mr. Perdue's  contract farms has one opened up.
    I would be willing to bet that pumpkin sewage ponds beat out chicken **** ponds.
    Large and Small BGE
    Central, IL

• stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,684
    The solution for that......feed the chickens charcoal powder in their food and mix pelletized charcoal fines in their litter.  Then it all gets made into fertilizer with inoculated biochar already in it.  It's been out there for a while--the yields are great--it just hasn't really caught on yet since it's kind of expensive.
  • JRWhitee
    JRWhitee Posts: 5,678
    Very interesting Scottie, thanks for sharing.

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • News2u
    News2u Posts: 335
    sctdg said:
    Never have any trouble lighting RO with the paper towel/oil method. Does spark with Mapp torch .
    Oil and paper towels and my RO ignites in a snap.
    Beef...It's what's for dinner tonight.
  • saluki2007
    saluki2007 Posts: 6,354
    The ADHD is strong in this thread. 
    Too bad it isn't Friday, we could turn it into a dance party.
    Large and Small BGE
    Central, IL

• KiterTodd
    KiterTodd Posts: 2,466
    @RRP great pictures!  Thanks for sharing those.

What am I looking at?  I first thought the yellow lines were undersea fiberoptic cables, but then you also show pictures of these big white pipes and mention fuel.  Are we looking at two different deployments or the same thing?

All interesting stuff, though.  That shot of the boat with a pipe being laid out is great.  I have seen those ships ready to go when I drive over bridges near Norfolk, but have never seen them in action.
    LBGE/Maryland
  • RRP
    KiterTodd said:

You thanked the wrong egger, my friend! those were posted by @SGH.
  • RedSkip
    RedSkip Posts: 1,400
    @jrb06 The collapse strength of the tubing is greater than the hydrostatic pressure exerted on it.  Pipe grade, material thickness, and sea floor depth are used to determine which tubing to install.

Large BGE - McDonald, PA
  • Darby_Crenshaw
    Darby_Crenshaw Posts: 2,657
    logchief said:
    Amazing, it's phenomenal what the private sector can produce, especially if the gov't would let them the f*** alone.  That's cool stuff Scottie, better than lump. Except CA F****rs won't let RW in. 
    "...what the Private sector can produce, with the benefit of billions in tax breaks", is what you probably meant to say. 
    [social media disclaimer: irony and sarcasm may be used in some or all of user's posts; emoticon usage is intended to indicate moderately jocular social interaction; the comments toward users, their usernames, and the real people (living or dead) that they refer to are not intended to be adversarial in nature; those replying to this user are entering into a tacit agreement that they are real-life or social-media acquaintances and/or have agreed to or tacitly agreed to perpetrate occasional good-natured ribbing between and among themselves and others]

• KiterTodd
    KiterTodd Posts: 2,466
    RRP said:
    KiterTodd said:

You thanked the wrong egger, my friend! those were posted by @SGH.
    Doh!   I knew that.  My Homer brain just typed in the last login name I saw...

Ahh well, guy is probably off slaughtering an animal now, he'll never get back over to this thread.  ;)
    LBGE/Maryland
  • YouEnjoyMyEgg
    YouEnjoyMyEgg Posts: 168
    I've always been fine with RO the two bags I bought at the beginning of spring this year had average pieces at least twice as big as I am accustomed to.  Some of them too big for my MiniMax.

• newby84
    newby84 Posts: 133
    will someone tell me what brand of charcoal to use whenever I run out of Ozark Oak. 
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,125
    newby84 said:
    will someone tell me what brand of charcoal to use whenever I run out of Ozark Oak. 
    Rockwood 
  • tarheelmatt
    tarheelmatt Posts: 9,867
    newby84 said:
    Cowboy 

Jk 

Rockwood or Wicked Good 
    ------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    @RRP
    The big tug pushing the ship is powered by quadruple  Cats. 

And yes, if I had your money I would but two of them ;)

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Nice pix @SGH!
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • SGH
    Laying Thunder Horse on cement supports. 

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• RRP
    And you say THOSE pipes flex enough to roll in to those HUGE spools? 
  • SGH
    bgebrent said:
    Nice pix @SGH!
    Thanks buddy. When we go to sea, I'm going to post some sure enough cool pics for everyone. I'm hoping to get permission to post a under water pic of the mainline making first touchdown on the sea bed. The pics will be taken by ROV's 6,000 feet down. Pretty cool stuff. 

Status- Standing by.

• bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    SGH said:
    bgebrent said:
    Nice pix @SGH!
    Thanks buddy. When we go to sea, I'm going to post some sure enough cool pics for everyone. I'm hoping to get permission to post a under water pic of the mainline making first touchdown on the sea bed. The pics will be taken by ROV's 6,000 feet down. Pretty cool stuff. 
    Its truly fascinating.  Very cool!
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • SGH
    RRP said:
    And you say THOSE pipes flex enough to roll in to those HUGE spools? 
    Yes sir. They roll up 26 miles on each reel. Just like a water hose. 
    Here is 12 miles of subsea umbilicals rolled or "spooled" up. 

Ron, if you look at the first pic, that's my Chevy Avalanche in the back ground. It gives you a idea of just how big these reels are. As you can see, I could drive right under the reel. 

Status- Standing by.

• SGH
    @RRP
    In August I'm going to shoot some video of the ship spoiling this pipeline for you. We are only spooling 6 miles but you will still get a good idea of what is going on. 

Status- Standing by.

• RRP
    Thanks Scottie! BTW I started to defend your honor today by addressing the use of "pigs" in pipelines. I think some here assume you were hired to butcher those "pigs"...oh never mind! I'm glad you are back employed!