Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

National Shrimp Day

Options
Big_Green_Craig
Big_Green_Craig Posts: 1,578
edited May 2016 in EggHead Forum
I follow the National Food Holidays calendar because it's fun and I like to see the different "holidays." This is also a great way to change up menu ideas.

Yesterday was National Shrimp Day. My family loves seafood. It's quick, tasty and very healthy. I was busy most of the day so I needed something quick. Here's my take on shrimp n Grits.

Bloody Mary Shrimp 'n Grits      (full recipe below)

Ingredients:
1 lb jumbo shrimp, peeled and deveined
1/2 C celery diced
1/2 small onion diced
2 cloved garlic rough minced
Juice of 1 lemon
2 tbs prepared horseradish
1/3 C Ketchup
1/4 C Titos Vodka
2 tsp hot sauce 
2 tbs soy sauce
1 tbs Worcestershire 
salt 
pepper
butter 
oil

Whisk together the all of the wet ingredients, season with salt and pepper and set aside. 

Dome temp should be around 400F. 
Preheat a cast iron skillet. Saute the celery, onion and garlic with some butter and oil until soft. Move the aromatics to the side of the skillet, add a bit more butter and oil and saute the shrimp until pink and opaque throughout. Mix in the onion, celery and garlic. Add the sauce and ensure that everything is coated and evenly combined. Allow to saute for 2-3 minutes, then remove from heat. Serve over grits or rice. 

Comments

• six_egg
    six_egg Posts: 1,110
    edited May 2016
    Options
    Looks awesome. I love shrimp n grits. 

XLBGE, LBGE 

Fernandina Beach, FL

• MetalB
    MetalB Posts: 6
    Options
    My mouth is watering at that and I've just eaten. What a great idea.
  • Thatgrimguy
    Thatgrimguy Posts: 4,729
    Options
    Plating is top notch as usual!  Shrimp and grits is one of my favorites, love this twist!
    XL, Small, Mini & Mini Max Green Egg, Shirley Fab Trailer, 6 gal and 2.5 gal Cajun Fryers, BlueStar 60" Range, 48" Lonestar Grillz Santa Maria, Alto Shaam 1200s, Gozney Dome, Gateway 55g Drum
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    Beautiful plate brother.  Looks delicious!
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    I am so trying this.
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • JRWhitee
    JRWhitee Posts: 5,678
    Options
    I have made Kristi's from Necessary Indulgence and will definitely try this one. Thanks Buddy.

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • Jupiter Jim
    Jupiter Jim Posts: 3,351
    Options
    The Shrimp Boat is in at your house for sure! mighty fine looking meal for sure.

I'm only hungry when I'm awake!

Okeechobee FL. Winter

West Jefferson NC Summer

• Dyal_SC
    Dyal_SC Posts: 6,052
    Options
    Looks awesome!  Did the vodka contribute to the flavor?  I made a Bloody Mary flank steak once and while it was great, I'm not sure the vodka itself contributed.  
  • Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    Options
    Looks good. What kind of grits did you use? Do anything special to those or just plain grits ?
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • Big_Green_Craig
    Options
    Dyal_SC said:
    Looks awesome!  Did the vodka contribute to the flavor?  I made a Bloody Mary flank steak once and while it was great, I'm not sure the vodka itself contributed.  
    There was hints of vodka in it. Tasted like a thick bloody mary.
  • Big_Green_Craig
    Options
    Chubbs said:
    Looks good. What kind of grits did you use? Do anything special to those or just plain grits ?
    These were just quick grits. I did use 2 parts water / 1 part milk. Then stirred in some butter and cheese at the end. Pretty tasty. 
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    Good looking bottom dwellers. 
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • HendersonTRKing
    HendersonTRKing Posts: 1,803
    Options
    I bet it tasted as good as it looks (which is to say "spectacular").

Question for the assembled:  do you cook shrimp with the tails on or off?  I split the tails by hand and pull them off when I rinse and devein the shrimp, trying to extract as much of the tail meat as possible.  Probably doesn't look as dramatic on the plate as leaving them on . . . but saves the inevitable tail sucking (careful . . . it's only Tuesday) and messy tails on the plate, etc.
    It's a 302 thing . . .
  • Big_Green_Craig
    Options

Question for the assembled:  do you cook shrimp with the tails on or off?  I split the tails by hand and pull them off when I rinse and devein the shrimp, trying to extract as much of the tail meat as possible.  Probably doesn't look as dramatic on the plate as leaving them on . . . but saves the inevitable tail sucking (careful . . . it's only Tuesday) and messy tails on the plate, etc.
    I left the tails on because it looks better. Just squeeze the tail and the meat slides right out with the rest of the bite. 
  • hondabbq
    hondabbq Posts: 1,980
    Options

I learned a trick to not having to split the backs from one of my former chefs. this is for tail on shrimp. I use it to this day.

After peeling the shrimp of its shell, leaving the tail shell in tact, slide a bamboo skewer just under the flesh perpendicular to the back, just above the last segment of shell. then just pull towards you and it should bring with it the vein. You should not notice the small "incision" you made once cooked.

You can do the same thing if you prefer to take the whole tail off, but for presentation it just look prettier. It also depends on the application.