Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Bad Byrons Butt Rub or Meatheads Memphis Rub?

i have 3 butts to rub this Saturday. They will all end up in the same pan so I will use one or the other. What say ye? Thanks
Narcoossee, FL

LBGE, Nest, Mates, Plate Setter, Ash Tool. I'm a simple guy.

Comments

• pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
  • CincyTiki
    CincyTiki Posts: 346
    Yup, Butt Rub
    Enjoying life in Cincinnati, Ohio - Large BGE & MiniMax BGE
  • JethroVA
    JethroVA Posts: 1,251
    Doesn't matter.  The rubs are not all that different, and in IMHO, have only a minor role in the the final flavor.  In other words, the rubs are more alike than dissimilar.  But then again I'm deep into the ETOH and will soon be corrected by my less ETOH-influenced brethren.  
    p.s. I make my own rubs from recipes here on this inter web site. 
    Richmond and Mathews County, VA. Large BGE, Weber gas, little Weber charcoal. Vintage ManGrates. Little reddish portable kamado that shall remain nameless here.  Very Extremely Stable Genius. 
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    I concur cause BB's is great!  Admittedly have not tried Meatheads Memphis rub.  Probably can't go wrong.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • minniemoh
    minniemoh Posts: 2,145
    I like both. What temp do you plan to cook at? I have better luck with Memphis Dust at 250-275 since it has a high sugar content. To me, this keeps the bark a little sweeter.  Bad Byron's is more salt so I tend to use that when I cook at 300+. I don't care for the burnt sugar taste so much. 
    L x2, M, S, Mini and a Blackstone 36. She says I have enough now....
    eggAddict from MN!
  • morrobayrich
    morrobayrich Posts: 104
    Found BB to be so salty we tossed it.
    Morro Bay, CA
  • NonaScott
    NonaScott Posts: 446
    I was planning 275 but I don't like the burnt sugar taste either so bad byrons it s. Thanks all.
    Narcoossee, FL

LBGE, Nest, Mates, Plate Setter, Ash Tool. I'm a simple guy.
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    You can alway mix in the Memphis Dust after you pull the meat.  Get the benefit of both rubs, sweet n salty

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • JohnnyTarheel
    JohnnyTarheel Posts: 6,533
    Bad Byrons my choice.... Great bark color and taste...
    Charlotte, NC - Large BGE 2014, Maverick ET 733, Thermopen, Nest, Platesetter, Woo2 and Extender w/Grid, Kick Ash Basket, Pizza Stone, SS Smokeware Cap, Blackstone 36"
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Bad Byrons my choice.... Great bark color and taste...
    I have to agree.  If it's a full shoulder, never felt like there was too much salt.  
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    Even though I haven't tried Meatheads Memphis, I would take it over BBs.
    Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• minniemoh
    minniemoh Posts: 2,145
    NonaScott said:
    I was planning 275 but I don't like the burnt sugar taste either so bad byrons it s. Thanks all.
    The only time I've had the burnt sugar taste from Memphis Dust was when I cooked over 325. At that temp, you don't have anything to worry about.

L x2, M, S, Mini and a Blackstone 36. She says I have enough now....
    eggAddict from MN!
  • six_egg
    six_egg Posts: 1,110
    IMO BB has a little heat to it. That is just right. The next day even more so. I love BB. Never tried the other. 

XLBGE, LBGE 

Fernandina Beach, FL

• StillH2OEgger
    StillH2OEgger Posts: 3,741
    I sort of stopped trying other varieties after getting a large bottle of Bad Byrons. I will try others going forward, I'm sure, but it hits all the right notes for me.
    Stillwater, MN
  • fishepa
    fishepa Posts: 211
    six_egg said:
    IMO BB has a little heat to it. That is just right. The next day even more so. I love BB. Never tried the other. 
    My wife finds BBs to be a bit spicy for her although I love a little heat. 
    War Damn Eagle!
  • Wardster
    Wardster Posts: 1,006
    Am  the only one who uses Elder Ward's rub?  I think the sage really stands out.  As always, we are of no relation.
    Apollo Beach, FL
  • EagleIII
    EagleIII Posts: 415

IF I had to pick only one of those two, I would say Bad Byron's, BUT having said that, I also really like Meathead's Memphis Dust.  The M.D. is a bit more on the "savory" side of things in that it includes the Rosemary powder in it which gives it a very nice flavor.  So, it depends on what you are after...B.B. will have a bit of heat to it from the Chipotle in it and the M.D. as I said is a bit on the savory side of things.

Good luck with your decision!