Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Prime brisket...

Options
dougcrann
dougcrann Posts: 1,129
Was at Costco yesterday and couldn't help but notice that they had a couple Prime packer brisket. Didn't catch the price but the one I picked up was $45...was in the 14+ pound range. Will be stopping by again on Thursday...
We have a select packer in the fridge. Are prime briskets worth the extra $$ over a select? 
Reason I ask is,because when I first started cooking several folks told me that for smoking you want lower grades of beef...breaking down tissue and all the other good stuff that lonslo does...

So fine Egg addicts...please educate me. 

Comments

• Thatgrimguy
    Thatgrimguy Posts: 4,729
    edited May 2016
    Options
    Fat is flavor. A prime cut will have more flavor than a select cut and it will be more likely to come out tender.  Is it worth the price is a personal decision and depends on the price.  At 3-4$ a pound it's worth it to me to get prime. At 8$ when I can get choice+ at 2.79/lb it's not worth it.  So just figure out where that point is for you. I'll pay $2 a lb more without thinking it over. More than that and I'll usually search the choice case for a floppy one and save my money.
    XL, Small, Mini & Mini Max Green Egg, Shirley Fab Trailer, 6 gal and 2.5 gal Cajun Fryers, BlueStar 60" Range, 48" Lonestar Grillz Santa Maria, Alto Shaam 1200s, Gozney Dome, Gateway 55g Drum
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    That seems to be a great price for prime- around $3.20 per lb.  I would be all over that.  For some reason Costco doesn't ever carry these in my area. 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    I get full prime packers at Costco when they are on sale. I have 4 in the freezer.
    To me, it is worth it. Choice is not bad, but when you can get prime packers less than $3.50/LB, you need to jump, stomp and holler!
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • dougcrann
    Options
    That seems to be a great price for prime- around $3.20 per lb.  I would be all over that.  For some reason Costco doesn't ever carry these in my area. 
    I check the freezer every time we go to Costco. In the past all they had was flats. Asked one of the meat department guys...he told me that they would probably never sell packers...bastard lied to me lol....
  • logchief
    logchief Posts: 1,415
    Options
    Well it's a shame that there just isn't the demand for brisket in CA for Costco to carry it.  But you can get Tri Tip umpteen different ways (choice, prime, trimmed, untrimmed and by the bag.  Enough whining
    LBGE - I like the hot stuff.  The big dry San Joaquin Valley, Clovis, CA 
  • Charcoal_Addict
    Options
    logchief said:
    Well it's a shame that there just isn't the demand for brisket in CA for Costco to carry it.  But you can get Tri Tip umpteen different ways (choice, prime, trimmed, untrimmed and by the bag.  Enough whining
    You have to invite more meat eaters to move into CA.  A million people with Southren accents in CA will fix that problem right away.  
    2x Kamado Joe Big Joes + Cyber Q Wifi + Themapen - Pizza Steel + BGE Paella Pan + BGE Ash Tools + Woo2 + Open Bar Fire Ring
  • dougcrann
    Options
    Swung by Costco yesterday....only had 1 prime packer left. Fat cap was VERY thick. Had a rock hard nodule that covered half of the one side. Hmmm....no thanks. Talked to the guy I always do in the meat department...said expecting some today.  Sadly will not be returning to next week...
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    dougcrann said:
    Reason I ask is,because when I first started cooking several folks told me that for smoking you want lower grades of beef...breaking down tissue and all the other good stuff that lonslo does...
    I know that its just one man talking here, but im forced to disagree. In my opinion there is simply no comparison between top end Prime and low end Select. High end Prime will win every time. Some of the above is true however, low and slow does a wonderful job of breaking down tissue. However, no matter how low and slow you cook, you simply can not cook quality into meat. It must already be there. There is a sound reason as to why the price of Prime and Wagyu is more expensive. Its the quality. Again, not saying that you cant make a great Choice or Select brisket. But the odds are ever in your favor with Prime and/or Wagyu. Just my thoughts my friend.

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• n8er
    n8er Posts: 114
    Options
    SGH said:
    dougcrann said:
    I know that its just one man talking here, but im forced to disagree. In my opinion there is simply no comparison between top end Prime and low end Select. High end Prime will win every time. Some of the above is true however, low and slow does a wonderful job of breaking down tissue. However, no matter how low and slow you cook, you simply can not cook quality into meat. It must already be there. There is a sound reason as to why the price of Prime and Wagyu is more expensive. Its the quality. Again, not saying that you cant make a great Choice or Select brisket. But the odds are ever in your favor with Prime and/or Wagyu. Just my thoughts my friend.
    ^^^^^This
    Egging year 'round in North Dakota
  • CPARKTX
    CPARKTX Posts: 2,095
    Options
    @YukonRon I've never dozen a brisket, how long do they keep and how do you defrost?
    LBGE & SBGE.  Central Texas.  
  • Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    Options
    SGH said:
    dougcrann said:
    However, no matter how low and slow you cook, you simply can not cook quality into meat. 
    That pretty much sums up my conclusion on any grade of the cut in discussion.  When it comes to the Thunder Gods, I'm an atheist.
    Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• dougcrann
    Options
    Thing is,prime briskets are seldom available. Seen them in Costco...once. Surprisingly they were under $3@pound.  The only one they had left had the thickest fat cap I have ever seen. And,the rock hard stuff covered quite a bit of the point...
  • FATC1TY
    FATC1TY Posts: 888
    Options
    I live in Georgia, and it's impossible to find even select packers in Costco, its a damn shame. Just a bunch of flats. No thanks!
    -FATC1TY
    Grillin' and Brewing in Atlanta
    LBGE
    MiniMax
  • dougcrann
    Options
    @FATC1TY...that has been the way it has been up here. I asked one of the guys in the meat department about them selling packers, was told that they would be able to get me them....but I would need to buy the entire case. Was surprised to see packers. Will be going into Costco on our trips to town....
  • FATC1TY
    FATC1TY Posts: 888
    Options
    @dougcrann i would be okay with buying a case of prime packers if they even gave me the choice to do so! It was a simple, nope.. just flats.
    -FATC1TY
    Grillin' and Brewing in Atlanta
    LBGE
    MiniMax
  • dougcrann
    Options
    @FATC1TY....that is what I was told initially.  Next time I was in the store I was told about the case. Want to try a prime brisket so I can see if we taste the difference.  If we do...and I am able to come up with a repeatable cooking style I wouldn't mind buying a case. When I was there the other day Costco was charging less for Prime than I normally pay for Select..
  • Toxarch
    Toxarch Posts: 1,900
    Options
    SGH said:
    dougcrann said:
    And there's a reason the competition guys use Wagyu brisket for the big money competitions.
    Aledo, Texas
    Large BGE
    KJ Jr.

Exodus 12:9 KJV
    Eat not of it raw, nor sodden at all with water, but roast with fire; his head with his legs, and with the purtenance thereof.