Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Observations after owning an egg for 3 years

Options
2»

Comments

• leo123
    leo123 Posts: 101
    Options
    try a different type of wood for smoke. Try Mesquite. I'm sure you taste it
  • eddyg
    eddyg Posts: 17
    Options
    Great idea Leo. I will try that. Thank you. 
  • CtTOPGUN
    CtTOPGUN Posts: 612
    Options
     The smoker box put in the lower vent/clean out area sounds like a pretty good fix. Would be very consistant compared to lump/smoke wood loading techniques.
    LBGE/Weber Kettle/Blackstone 36" Griddle/Turkey Fryer/Induction Burner/Royal Gourmet 24" Griddle/Cuisinart Twin Oaks/Pit Boss Tabletop pellet smoker/Instant Pot

BBQ from the State of Connecticut!

Jim
  • Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    edited May 2016
    Options
    You may be disappointed in these myths of removing water, and guessing where your fire will burn, etc etc.  Water is only a heat sink, so actually, you need a larger fire to maintain the same temp compared to waterless.  I do like to use small amounts of water in the drip pan towards the later phase of bbq cooks to keep the grease from burning.

My BGE no longer smokes.  WSMs get the call for a better bbq end product all around.

Like blasting, convenience is a virtue, especially in the MW.  If I have to q with 20mph winds in Jan and below zero ambients, its the egg.  The older and smarter I get, that no longer happens.  I just plan my low and slows and cold smokes accordingly, as the seasons permit.  For the record, I will sit for long periods in a tree with cold weather gear and boot blankets during this time in Jan though. 

As mentioned, I do like the eggs for baking, most grilling, and stir frying.  
    Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• Smoker317
    Smoker317 Posts: 238
    Options
    I have not been overly impressed with the smoke flavor on bigger pieces of meat.  I have tried chips to chunks and just don't get the smoke flavor that my old offset smoker achieved. 

The last couple smokes I have been using two pieces of hickory approximately 8" long and the diameter/ shape of a cordless phone which is pretty decent size for my egg layed on top of lump near the edge vs center where I start my fire.   The family has been pleased with the smoke flavor; like finally being home again.  So now I am going to find some apple and other flavors that are mini-log size.

We do not smoke any kind of tobacco products or smoke / inhale anything to include wacky tow-backie.

Egghead since November 2014, XL-BGE & ET-732
    Smobot
    Living near Indy
    36" Blackstone
  • Toxarch
    Toxarch Posts: 1,900
    Options
    You can cook hot and fast with mesquite. Do not smoke with mesquite, it gives a bitter flavor. 
    Aledo, Texas
    Large BGE
    KJ Jr.

Exodus 12:9 KJV
    Eat not of it raw, nor sodden at all with water, but roast with fire; his head with his legs, and with the purtenance thereof.

• smokeyw
    smokeyw Posts: 367
    Options
    DieselkW said:
    As far as I know, and I am not a smoking expert; the meat will take on smoke flavor for "X" amount of time before it reaches "X" temperature and then all the smoke afterwards will not benefit anymore.

Old wives tale, perhaps, but that's my understanding.
    Smoke will flavor the meat at anytime actually. It's the smoke ring which stops forming around 140. But you can add smoke flavor at any point during the cook

Yeah, the ring is a chemical reaction and isn't  a flavor profile. I have not tested this but I would think in a blind taste test, it would be undetectable. 

Darby is correct in that the smoke ring will stop forming at around 140 but the meat will continue to take smoke. It is also true that the smoke ring has nothing to do with flavor. KCBS judges are told not to judge based on the smoke ring. This is because someone that knows what they are doing can impart an artificial smoke ring in an oven even. It is a chemical reaction.
  • bhedges1987
    bhedges1987 Posts: 3,201
    Options
    I honestly get a heavier smoke flavor on my egg than my reverse flow. With that being said, the flavor of my reverse flow smoked meat is better. 

Kansas City, Missouri
    Large Egg
    Mini Egg

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us" - Gandalf

• Zippylip
    Zippylip Posts: 4,768
    Options
    RRP said:
    hey - what ever floats our boat! May I ask a question? I'm not being a smart ass OK? Do you smoke? cigarettes, cigars, pipe or bong? If so how many a day? I always wonder when I see posts such as yours. Again - no offense - just wondering why your taste buds MIGHT be different than others of us.

I don’t smoke any of the above but I too consistently get better smoke flavor from my $49 kettle than I’ve ever gotten from my egg.  I’ve always believed it’s attributable to one of the egg’s greatest attributes, its efficiency, it burns less smoking wood so you get less smoke flavor.  Meanwhile the kettle inefficiently chugs along burning more of everything & leaving behind more smoke flavor…

happy in the hut
    West Chester Pennsylvania
  • nutshellml
    nutshellml Posts: 166
    Options
    And you have to figure out which spider you need--3 or 5 leg--it depends on the number of notches in your fire ring as older eggs are 5 and newer eggs are 3 notches for spider to sit on.  (PS--when you turn spider upside down, it holds your wok for wokking on the egg at high temps--the way it is supposed to be done).  When you click on the combo to order it, it gives you these options to select.  Again, you need the 16 inch drip pan--it keeps edges of your food from burning when you load the grid fully 
    I bought this right off the bat. Never had plate setter and it hasn't let me down yet. 
    Northern Jersey
    XL BGE  |  XL Adjustable Rig Combo  |  CyberQ  |  Maverick 733
  • Charcoal_Addict
    Charcoal_Addict Posts: 227
    edited May 2016
    Options
    Ed,

Here's a trick we discovered on the Kamado Guru by drilling holes into the bottom of a small lodge Dutch oven.  You drill holes on the bottom of the pot to push the wood smoke down into the fire.  

Drilling holes in the bottom of the DO creates the Holly Grail blue smoke by forces the smoke to jet down down into the hottest part of the fire to burning off any undesirable volatiles.  

You also wrap your heavy duty wood in foil leaving a small hole for the smoke to escape on hot cooks.  The foil traps heat and slowly burns the wood so you can get that beautiful blue smoke flavor. 

There's pic above or a cook on my Joe at 450 F.  The smoke is a pretty shade of blue using foil.  The brand of Kamado doesn't matter.  Thsse tricks work whether your cooker is Green or Red.

http://www.kamadoguru.com/topic/23843-2-qt-wood-chunk-smoking-pot/page-3?hl=+lodge +dutch +oven

Here's another great thread you can read about generating smoke in Kamados.

http://www.kamadoguru.com/topic/27675-john-setzler-on-smoke/

2x Kamado Joe Big Joes + Cyber Q Wifi + Themapen - Pizza Steel + BGE Paella Pan + BGE Ash Tools + Woo2 + Open Bar Fire Ring
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,749
    Options
    when you used the bullet smoker were you running it with briquettes, try adding some briquettes for flavor with the smoking wood. this has been done before, some like the taste off briquettes. =)  briquettes help the smoke ring as well. when im cooking butt or ribs for myself, i like to mix 2 parts cherry, 1 part hickory, and a really small amount of mesquite, doesnt take much with mesquite and it adds tons of flavor.
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    Options
    Here's a trick we discovered on the Kamado Guru by drilling holes into the bottom of a small lodge Dutch oven.  You drill holes on the bottom of the pot to push the wood smoke down into the fire.  

Drilling holes in the bottom of the DO creates the Holly Grail blue smoke by forces the smoke to jet down down into the hottest part of the fire to burning off any undesirable volatiles.  

You also wrap your heavy duty wood in foil leaving a small hole for the smoke to escape on hot cooks.  The foil traps heat and slowly burns the wood so you can get that beautiful blue smoke flavor. 

There's pic above or a cook on my Joe at 450 F.  The smoke is a pretty shade of blue using foil.  The brand of Kamado doesn't matter.  Thsse tricks work whether your cooker is Green or Red.

http://www.kamadoguru.com/topic/23843-2-qt-wood-chunk-smoking-pot/page-3?hl=+lodge +dutch +oven

@Charcoal_Addict   I read the thread you linked, it's interesting.  I already have (2) two quart DO.  Not sure I want to ruin one to do an experiment.

Anyone else want to weigh in on this idea?

Phoenix 
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    @Charcoal_Addict that is an interesting trick with the cast iron DO.   I would be concerned about using foil right on the burning lump because the foil could burn/melt.  

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• Charcoal_Addict
    Options
    The more efficient the cooker, the smaller the fire; the more creative you'll need to be to generate good smoke.  

Komado Kamado's have it even worse.  The refractory cement is twice as heat efficient as the ceramic used in most Kamados.  The fire that produced 225F in a Egg or a Joe will be about half the size of the fire inside the KK.

You either need do get your wood into the hottest part of the fire; or you need to push the smoke coming from your wood into the hottest part of the fire.

Most offset cookers Fireboxes are burning at 550 F to achieve the beautiful Blue smoke Aaron Franklin loves to go on about.   You can achieve the same thing in a Kamado with a little creativity as mentioned in my post above. 

The Weber Bullet looses 90% of it's Heat through the the metal but this creates a bigger fire to maintain the temp at 225 F.   The Weber Bullet 22 inch burns through 3 times as much coal as we do in a Kamado to smoke a butt or a Bisket.

In turn, will burn more wood.  It has nothing to do with burning briquettes.  
    2x Kamado Joe Big Joes + Cyber Q Wifi + Themapen - Pizza Steel + BGE Paella Pan + BGE Ash Tools + Woo2 + Open Bar Fire Ring
  • Focker
    Options
    blasting said:

@Charcoal_Addict   I read the thread you linked, it's interesting.  I already have (2) two quart DO.  Not sure I want to ruin one to do an experiment.

I'm intrigued, a little skeptical too.  But if I find a cruddy 2qt DO for cheap at an antique store....
    Brandon
    Quad Cities

• Charcoal_Addict
    Options
    Focker said:
    blasting said:

I'm intrigued, a little skeptical too.  But if I find a cruddy 2qt DO for cheap at an antique store....
    It works perfectly.  A lot guys with different brands of Kamado use this tecnique.  You're borrowing some science from the offset smoking world and applying in a creative way to Kamado cooking.   
  • Focker
    edited May 2016
    Options
    Yeah, I'm not sure about such a small fire in a 250 egg really making that much of an impact on removing volatiles, even with the addition of CI.

Not really fond of tossing Al into a higher temp egg fire either.  But I get the slower burn rationale, where the CI would have more impact slowing the burn, as opposed to pushing the smoke through the fire to get rid of volatiles, which may not hurt either.

One of the reasons why cold smoke generator smoke smells so good as it smolders, thin, blue, almost sweet aroma to it.
    Brandon
    Quad Cities

• Charcoal_Addict
    Options
    Focker said:
    Yeah, I'm not sure about such a small fire in a 250 egg really making that much of an impact on removing volatiles, even with the addition of CI.

Not really fond of tossing Al into a higher temp egg fire either.  But I get the slower burn rationale.  One of the reasons why cold smoke generator smoke smells so good as it smolders, thin, blue, almost sweet aroma to it.
    You only drill 3 small hole in the center of the Dutch oven.  You place the DO in the center of your fire.  You push the smoke down directly into the small fire.  People with refractory KK's are using this technique with great success.   The fire in a KK at 225 F is even smaller than the Egg running the same temp. 

Throw a rock at the window and see what happens.  You'll be surprised by the result.
  • smokeyw
    smokeyw Posts: 367
    Options

Focker said:
    blasting said:

It works perfectly.  A lot guys with different brands of Kamado use this tecnique.  You're borrowing some science from the offset smoking world and applying in a creative way to Kamado cooking.   
    It may work but I don't think it is necessary. I only have the VOC's for about an hour before my smoke goes light blue. The way I distribute my wood throughout the lump, I get all the smoke flavor I want and never see the white VOC smoke again for the entire remainder of that cook. Seems a little over engineered all things considered.
  • Charcoal_Addict
    Options
    smokeyw said:

Focker said:
    blasting said:

It may work but I don't think it is necessary. I only have the VOC's for about an hour before my smoke goes light blue. The way I distribute my wood throughout the lump, I get all the smoke flavor I want and never see the white VOC smoke again for the entire remainder of that cook. Seems a little over engineered all things considered.

VOC's aside, the other benefit is efficient burning the smoking wood.  You use-up 100% of the wood you stick into the cooker.  You never have a half burnt piece. You're smoke turns blue in less than 8 minutes vs waiting a hour for the VOC's to burn off.   I'm cooking a packer on this weekend.  I'll post some pics from that cook. 
  • Focker
    edited May 2016
    Options
    Have a Brinkmann CI smoker box from a Blackstone Oven failed project mushroom.  

With foil over the lid, and a couple of 1/8" holes  in the bottom, we'll be in business packed full of chips.

Brandon
    Quad Cities

• nutshellml
    nutshellml Posts: 166
    edited May 2016
    Options
    @Charcoal_Addict
    W/ the 2qt DO, do you have any pics of it in the egg and/or how it would work with the Adjustable Rig?  Does the DO sit right ontop of the lump? and do you need to replensh w/ charcoal for long 16+hr smokes?  I have XL BGE
    Northern Jersey
    XL BGE  |  XL Adjustable Rig Combo  |  CyberQ  |  Maverick 733
  • Charcoal_Addict
    Options
    @Charcoal_Addict
    W/ the 2qt DO, do you have any pics of it in the egg and/or how it would work with the Adjustable Rig?  Does the DO sit right ontop of the lump? and do you need to replensh w/ charcoal for long 16+hr smokes?  I have XL BGE
    I have two Big Joe's.  They are about the same size as the XL Egg.  It's a trade between the two brands.  The Big Joe firebox is 2 inches taller than the XL egg.  The XL Egg's firebox has a more gentle slope so the fire box is 1 3/4 inches wider.  

A 2 qt DO will fit in the XL Egg just fine.  Depending on how low the Stone sits in the adjustable rig, you may need to get off the handle with a Sonic Crafter tool to get the DO under the stone while leaving room for 2 layers of lump under the DO.