Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT - SAMs club tumblers, 2 for $20

feef706
feef706 Posts: 853
Couldn't pass these up when I saw them, figured it's worth a shot. I have a RTIC 30 so will try and compare with some ice overnight.

Comments

• Spaightlabs
    Spaightlabs Posts: 2,349
    edited April 2016
    At 2 for 20 no reason not to try the wal mark's tumbler!
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,008
    Walmart had these for under $10 that were identical in tests with Yeti. Could be the same company that makes Yeti and Rtic tumblers for all I know. Sold out online at the moment through Walmart. I'm interested to see the tests for your two tumblers

"The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • feef706
    @WeberWho I saw the ozarks online and my store had a spot for them but have yet to catch them in stock, these done have an emblem stamped on them like the competitors but I assume the quality should be comparable 
  • feef706
    @WeberWho

its hard to tell from the pics but after 14 hours they look neck and neck.

Started with 20 cubes each last night, SAMs on left, RTIC on the right

6 hrs in

14 hrs

I'll measure the water around 20 hrs , probably the only way to really compare
  • CtTOPGUN
    CtTOPGUN Posts: 612
     Looks good so far. I bought 30oz tumblers at Walmart two weeks ago. Mossy Oak branded. They are OK. But do not perform near the Yeti I have. For the price I can't complain. They work well enough to be useful. But I will get the TIC or another Yeti next time. If these Members Mark ae equals then they will be a great choice.

Jim
    LBGE/Weber Kettle/Blackstone 36" Griddle/Turkey Fryer/Induction Burner/Royal Gourmet 24" Griddle/Cuisinart Twin Oaks/Pit Boss Tabletop pellet smoker/Instant Pot

BBQ from the State of Connecticut!

Jim
  • feef706
    Final look, I can't speak for yeti or how they perform in outdoor conditions, but based on my indoor results, I'm calling it good enough for 1/4 the price of a yeti and 1/2 the price of RTIC.

Didnt think about it until afterwards but the cups were beside my oven this whole time and I baked a pizza tonight, which vents more towards the side that the cups were on. The SAMs club cup was closest to the vent (left) so it may have slightly affected it. That being said, here's the final ice shot at about 20 hrs

Heres the Sams water poured from the cup, slightly below the 5/8th cup line

Heres the Rtic, a little lower around halfway between 1/2 cup and 5/8ths

You be the judge!
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,008
    Hey thanks for the results @feef706 I might have to pick up a couple for that price. Never been much of a label guy myself. These will be perfect. Thanks again
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • badinfluence
    badinfluence Posts: 1,774
    That and could it be that the ice cubes were slightly smaller in the SAMs cup so they melted faster?
    1 XXL BGE,  1 LG BGE, 2 MED. BGE, 1 MINI BGE, 1 Peoria custom cooker Meat Monster.

Clinton, Iowa
  • feef706
    @WeberWho I'm all about a deal, call me cheap

@badinfluence the cubes all came from my icemaker, one of them in the RTIC was freezer burned so it had a little growth, it happened to land right at the top center so that could have made someone think that.

Im happy with the results for the price 
  • beteez
    beteez Posts: 548
    Will pick 2 up today to try out
  • Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    I need to make a run to Sam's soon, I will have to look for these.  
    @feef706, what part of Sam's were they in?  That may save me time looking all over,  Thanks for posting this.

XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.
  • johnmitchell
    johnmitchell Posts: 6,546
    The Yeti would actually have created more ice at the 20 hour mark.. 
    Greensboro North Carolina
    When in doubt Accelerate....
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    I need to make a run to Sam's soon, I will have to look for these.  
    @feef706, what part of Sam's were they in?  That may save me time looking all over,  Thanks for posting this.

@Ladeback69 I spotted these in my Sam's and they were near the coffee at the entrance to the Aisle.  I have 4 Yeti tumblers in the house so I passed but they looked solid. 

You can also buy online and pick up at the store if they show availability. 

http://www.samsclub.com/sams/2pk-30oz-tumblers/prod20081190.ip

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• Vegas Eggus
    Vegas Eggus Posts: 152
    Have a 30 oz Bubba that I scored off the discount rack at Target for $6. Have two other smaller Bubba's and a 20 oz Hydra Flask. All perform about the same. Main difference is the opening size and the lids. 
  • GregW
    GregW Posts: 2,676
    I don't know if Sam;s is as bad as Costco in having seasonal merchandise.
    If you see something you like at Costco you better buy it immediately, it most likely won't be there the next trip to the store.
    Costco while a good place to shop is extremely frustrating.

Hopefully there will be a Costco version of the tumbler. 
  • Roadpuke0
    Roadpuke0 Posts: 529
    I think you guys drink to slow if you need ice for twenty hours:-)
    Plumbers local 130 chicago.     Why do today what you can do tomorrow

weapons: XL, Minie, old gasser, weber, v10 Bradley smoker and sometimes talent!

Bristol, Wisconsin 
  • Terrebandit
    Terrebandit Posts: 1,750
    Sorry guys. I need the status that comes with Yeti. 
    Dave - Austin, TX
  • feef706
    @Ladeback69 not sure how your store is layed out but these were in the center of the right isle between the jewelry counter and the outdoor/spring items which are in the middle front. Hope this helps

All the comments are cracking me up.

One thing I did notice is that the lid on the SAMs cup is significantly thicker and heavier than the RTIC. But the lids are interchangeable with each brand.
  • beteez
    beteez Posts: 548
    edited May 2016
    None at the Pooler Pkwy Sams in Savannah. Will try Jax next week
  • Bentgrass
    Bentgrass Posts: 443
    After seeing the post, went over to SAMs and grabbed some cheese to smoke and got the 2 pack of tumblers.  Last night filled with ice and water around 7-just picked it up at 2 to refill (19 hours later) and still full of ice and water.  Very impressed, too bad not dishwasher safe.
    1. Bettendorf, Ia with lots of time in Chattanooga, Tn.  LBGE, plate setter, ar, Looft lighter, maverick et-735, Rutland gasket, Smokeware SS cap, Kickash basket, and lots of cast iron.
  • Hungry Joe
    Hungry Joe Posts: 1,566
    edited May 2016
    I had a rain day at work so... I had time to spend some money :)

I needed a couple things from Sam's club and stumbled across these tumblers by accident and remembered this post so I picked up a set.

I put a handful of ice in one about 9 hours ago and it is still mostly there. These are more for SWMBO so the final test will be when she gets home and approves or gives them the cold shoulder, pun intended.

I also picked up a top that she might wear but is more for me, B)  they have some really good clothes bargains at Sam's club also. 
  • Dave in Florida
    Dave in Florida Posts: 1,157
    I need to remember to go to Sam's. 
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Welcome to the Swamp.....GO GATORS!!!!
  • chrisc133
    chrisc133 Posts: 501
    I picked up a couple of these at my local Walmart for $9 each today. 
    Augusta, GA
    #BGETEAMGREEN member
    MiniMax, Large, XL BGE
    Featured on Man Fire Food Season 7
  • MelSharples
    MelSharples Posts: 260

Picked up a set from the Duluth Sams, they had them in their seasonal summer section at the front of the store.  I'm 17 hours in an unscientific test vs my 30oz Yeti. They are neck and neck at this point. Although as @Roadpuke0 said above if it takes this long to finish a drink you have other problems.

LBGE 2015 - Atlanta
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    I bought some today.   Very nice.  Superior lid to the stock Yeti and RTIC.

I removed the lids from the Sam's Club, RTIC and Yeti and weighed them to see how heavy the metal is.

The RTIC was the lightest at 345 grams, next the Yeti at 390, and the Sam's Club topped the scales at 395.
    I bought a set yesterday at my Sams near Liberty, MO.  Using on now, drinking some Poweraid in it and the ice hasn't really melted much.  Great buy so far for the price.  Wife liked the idea till she show how big they are.  These will come in handy for our late Cinco De Mayo party tomorrow.  The lid fits nice and tight.  The glass above is after having a drink in it for a couple hours.  Very cool.

XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.
  • epcotisbest
    epcotisbest Posts: 2,168
    edited May 2016
    Picked up a couple today. At 1/4 the price of my other similar tumbler it seems a no brainer. Now if we could just buy some made in the USA. I would pay more for that, would you?

• nhk19
    nhk19 Posts: 151
    Headed to SAMs tomorrow.  I'll definitely search for them.  Looks good enough for me.  Thanks for post & test.
    XLBGE
    Lewisburg, PA
  • Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    Found 'em.  
    Will be awesome Christmas gifts!
    Thanks for posting.

Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• Acn
    Acn Posts: 4,424
    Sorry guys. I need the status that comes with Yeti. 
    The only reason to buy anything Yeti...

LBGE

Pikesville, MD