Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Rotisserie Ribs on the Egg

Options
Memorable.  Salt, pepper, and new recipe for Bbq sauce.  http://www.food.com/recipe/kittencals-famous-barbecue-sauce-for-chicken-and-ribs-232433

BGE Large and MiniMax, Napolean 500.  Obsessed with rotisserie.  

Comments

• RedSkip
    RedSkip Posts: 1,400
    Options
    @eggnewtoy Wouls you make them again?  If so, would you classify them as better or different?
    Large BGE - McDonald, PA
  • smbishop
    smbishop Posts: 3,053
    Options
    Just got my Joetisserie last week and have made two chickens.  I appreciate your posts.  Thanks for the inspiration!
    Southlake, TX and Cowhouse Creek - King, TX.  2 Large, 1 Small and a lot of Eggcessories.
  • eggnewtoy
    eggnewtoy Posts: 496
    Options
    @smbishop--thx so much.  Finding using the joetisserie for slow cooks great.  Haven't figured out how to do 2 slabs at once--my next project.  Hope you are enjoying it and post!  Have a great day.  

• eggnewtoy
    Options
    @RedSkip:  Yes, my second time and like them better than my previous method, modified 3-2-1.  Tender with some bite.  Actually, adapting most of my cooking to it, basket works really well for chicken pieces and the like.  Have reverse seared steaks-chops using it and use it for whole chickens all of the time.  Last week, reverse seared ribeye cap steaks in the basket and finished on ci plate setter.  Next is going to a roast piece of meat--lamb or beef.  So, it's become very important to my cooking and really makes it easy and the results are terrific.

• Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,627
    Options
    Cool idea, did they cook faster, slower or about the same?
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    Very cool and they look great.  I would have to figure out how to make at least 2 racks because the fam would be mad if they didn't get any.  

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    edited May 2016
    Options
    Ribs look great, nice color and pull back.

Raised direct either low and slow or hot and fast  would be worthy of a try here, with the fire directly under the ribs on the Joe.
    Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    Is this doable on an XL w/o a significant amount of re engineering? I am curious, due to the fact, rotisserie was the way we would cook whenever we were fortunate to get suitable protein from the locals or supply. Don't miss those days, sure miss the camp cooks.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • Fred19Flintstone
    Fred19Flintstone Posts: 8,168
    Options
    YukonRon said:
    Is this doable on an XL w/o a significant amount of re engineering? I am curious, due to the fact, rotisserie was the way we would cook whenever we were fortunate to get suitable protein from the locals or supply. Don't miss those days, sure miss the camp cooks.
    The rumor is that a joetisserie for the Big Joe is coming.  I think that may fit the XL.  I'm in the same boat as you.
    Flint, Michigan
  • YukonRon
    Options
    YukonRon said:
    The rumor is that a joetisserie for the Big Joe is coming.  I think that may fit the XL.  I'm in the same boat as you.
    Thank you. This will be killer. BGE should have something like this. Their loss.

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,350
    Options
    YukonRon said:
    YukonRon said:
    Thank you. This will be killer. BGE should have something like this. Their loss.
    Prototypes/early production runs of the Big Joetisserie are already being used/tested by some folks. I think they are still looking at mid-late summer for public release.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    Options
    eggnewtoy said:
    @RedSkip:  Yes, my second time and like them better than my previous method, modified 3-2-1.  Tender with some bite.  Actually, adapting most of my cooking to it, basket works really well for chicken pieces and the like.  Have reverse seared steaks-chops using it and use it for whole chickens all of the time.  Last week, reverse seared ribeye cap steaks in the basket and finished on ci plate setter.  Next is going to a roast piece of meat--lamb or beef.  So, it's become very important to my cooking and really makes it easy and the results are terrific.

@eggnewtoy, if you have a basket, would at least 2 slabs of ribs it in it?  I usually am cooking 4 so a rotisserie is out and I have a XL for now.  I also want the AR/Woo2 combo.
    XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.
  • Ragtop99
    Ragtop99 Posts: 1,570
    edited May 2016
    Options
    eggnewtoy said:
    @RedSkip:  Yes, my second time and like them better than my previous method, modified 3-2-1.  Tender with some bite. 
    Did you foil them?  If not, it may just be the difference from not foiling.  Might be interesting to see what happens if they are done direct.  I use to do ribs direct over low heat in my kettle for part of the cook and part of the cook indirect.  

BTW, they look very good.  :)

Cooking on an XL and Medium in Bethesda, MD.
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    Couldn't you do 2 racks by tying them back to back? 
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • smbishop
    smbishop Posts: 3,053
    Options
    eggnewtoy said:

Do you have any recommendations on what basket or other accessories to purchase?  Thanks!
    Southlake, TX and Cowhouse Creek - King, TX.  2 Large, 1 Small and a lot of Eggcessories.
  • eggnewtoy
    Options
    Legume said:
    Cool idea, did they cook faster, slower or about the same?
    3 hours at 300.  I do 3-2-1 at 225.  It's so much easier than wrapping, unwrapping and the results are wonderful, plus, 3 hours makes it easy to put them on at 4p and not have to be home all afternoon. ;)

• eggnewtoy
    Options
    @Focker.  I've tried a few different methods and like this best so far.  Next time I will try direct like I do with chicken.  Hope you are great.  

• eggnewtoy
    Options
    @smbishop--I am an accessory junkie and have one go to accessory for the Joe, a basket that I use for steaks/chops, wings, chicken pieces.  See pix of basket in use with chicken wings.  I have 2 baskets--one stainless, one steel.  Stainless is my go to.

http://www.amazon.com/OneGrill-Stainless-Grill-Rotisserie-Basket/dp/B008P4B8M2?ie=UTF8&psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o05_s00

• eggnewtoy
    Options
    @henapple.  Yes but like some space between them for all over crunch.  :)

• eggnewtoy
    Options
    @Ragtop99.  This is my favorite method so far.  Full of flavor, tender with a little crunch.  Since I prefer Salt/pepper as my seasoning and no additional rub or smoke, this is perfect for us.  I do experiment a lot and prefer these to foiling.  

• eggnewtoy
    Options
    @YukonRon.  Would be nice to have a bge rotisserie and multiple sizes, even for mini. I am really happy with the Joetisserie for now.  Would like to be able to cook more ribs and will be experimenting with 2 racks on the spit.

• eggnewtoy
    Options
    PS--just asked my husband which method of ribs he prefers, and he said he doesn't know, he's just happy that I put great food in front of him.  HA!  

• Ima_good_egg
    Ima_good_egg Posts: 590
    Options
    My husband is the same way. He gets spoiled with great food, and loves it. Since buying the egg, we rarely go out for dinner.  It's just better at home.
    Wisconsin, lbge, MM, kab, pig tail flippers, bear claws, and more rubs than I will admit to.
  • eggnewtoy
    Options
    @Ima_good_egg--I get that and agree on cooking with the egg(s).  It's just better.  Even in the winter in Chicago's frozen tundra.  

• SoCalWJS
    SoCalWJS Posts: 407
    Options
    Planning on picking up the Joetisserie in the near future, so I love looking at all the posts and trying to learn what all I can do with it. Definitely need to pick up a flat basket for a greater variety of cooks. Is there enough room in those baskets that you could run a couple of "spacers" the length of the basket and do two (short) racks of ribs at the same time? (it would be like placing a half/three quarter rack on the counter, laying 2 spacers on top of it, then laying another rack on top of the first one. There would be a small gap between the two rib racks allowing smoke/heat/fire/drippings to cook both sides of both racks. Just a thought.)
    South SLO County
  • eggnewtoy
    Options
    @SoCalWJS--good call on the basket and think you could do 2 racks with spacer.  Good idea to try.  My idea on ribs is to either thread 2 racks back to back-ish or push 2 together.  Next time.  Have fun with it and post!  Doing salmon tonight on minimax.  Egg on.  

• YYZegger
    YYZegger Posts: 231
    Options
    Very Nice!

Toronto, Canada  LBGE
  • YukonRon
    Options
    eggnewtoy said:
    @YukonRon.  Would be nice to have a bge rotisserie and multiple sizes, even for mini. I am really happy with the Joetisserie for now.  Would like to be able to cook more ribs and will be experimenting with 2 racks on the spit.
    I can rig up just about anything, but it would be nice to have equipment designed specific for the cooking apparatus involved. Just curious, what is the measured distance from the rim of the lower bowl to the height of the rotisserie rod?

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • bigbadben
    bigbadben Posts: 397
    edited May 2016
    Options
    http://www.kamadoguru.com/topic/26561-joetisserie-ribs/

I may get slammed here for posting a link to "another Kamado forum" but here is an example of 2 racks on the JT. 

I can't wait for the XL version.  My understanding it it will fit the standard 24 inch Kamado. 
  • U_tarded
    U_tarded Posts: 2,042
    Options
    What about rolling and skewering like people do to fit them on a mini.  The inside might not get direct exposure though.