Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

jerky

Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
can these things do beef jerky?[p]Donnie[p]

Comments

• Brayon
    Brayon Posts: 24
    Definitely, don't have any pictures, but my first attempt was a great success!
  • Eggecutioner
    Eggecutioner Posts: 628
    Pb050108.jpg
    <p />Bugs,[p]Yes.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,678
    2005_0110Image0006.jpg
    <p />Bugs,
    the first few times trying to hold temps at 145 is a little tricky, but once you get the hang of it its not too hard. this was beef jerkey and a salmon squaw candy. some like to put it in a dehydrator after it smokes for a while but i like it straight from the egg

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • PICT2002-4.jpg
    <p />Bugs,
    I have meade Jerky twice using my egg using the below recipe that I got. I'm sorry if I do not remember the originator of the post to give proper credit. I used my BBQ Guru in ramp mode to maintain a 170 deg. dome temp.[p]River City Beef Jerky
    Author unknown[p]1. 3-4 Lbs. Meat sliced thin
    2. 1 cup Soy sauce
    3. 1 cup Brown sugar
    4. ½ cup Pure maple sugar
    5. 1 Tsp. Onion powder
    6. 1 Tsp. Garlic powder
    7. 1 Tsp. Ground black pepper
    8. 2 Tbs. Cayenne pepper[p]
    Mix all ingredients (with a wisk) and pour over meat mixing it so to cover all sides. Cover and marinate over night.
    Light your Big Green Egg and have it stabilized at 160-190 degrees. The lower the temp the better since turning the meat will always raise the temp a little. To achieve a lower temp catch the BGE at about 160 degrees and damper it down to hold a low temp. Throw on a small handful of Jack Daniels Chips and put the meat on the cooking grate. I use the indirect method. The indirect method is when you use a plate seter under your cooking grid to keep any radiant heat away from your meat. Turn the meat every 2 hours (adding more Jack Daniels Chips to suit your taste) up to a total of 12 hours. Depending on your preference the longer you cook the drier and chewier the meat gets.

Everyday is Saturday and tomorrow is always Sunday.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,678
    Retired RailRoader,
    thats gfw's recipe, i use that as the starter base as well. add lots of maple syrup to it for the salmon squaw candy.the origional recipe called for molassis i believe

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Car Wash Mike
    Car Wash Mike Posts: 11,244
    bjdone.jpg
    <p />Bugs,
    Very well, I might add. Try the River CIty beef jerky recipe in the archives. It is a great start. I use maple syrup vrs. Molasses. 1 cup light brown sugar. 2 tbl spoons
    cayenne pepper.[p]Mike

• bw
    bw Posts: 87
    Car Wash Mike,[p]Is there a specific type of meat to use for jerky? Is it best to have the meat dangling from something in the BGE or just throw on the grid? Usually how long does the jerky take?[p]bw
  • Car Wash Mike
    Car Wash Mike Posts: 11,244
    bw,
    I use rump roast. Put in freezer for 45 minutes before slicing. This helps the process of slicing. That batch was cooked 10 hours at 160. Keep a close eye on it after 6 hours. The sugar content may carmelize and burn the jerky.[p]Mike

• thanks,[p]i have a dehydrator, but was searching for another way to really smoke it and found a kamado site. then kept searching and found this place. there seems to be a number of these kinda grills around.[p]seems like they do about everything. i'm gonna keep looking around for a while. [p]one more question. i've always done 15-20 lbs in my dehydrator, looks like it's harder to get a lot done on one of these. i saw a pic where it was in a big pile, don't it need to get the air around it better than that?[p]Donnie
  • egginator
    egginator Posts: 569
    Bugs,
    I hang mine and recently did 9 lbs of venison without any trouble. I could have easily doubled the weight with longer strips, but I had a lot of backstrap medalions. (yeah I know, but my wife wasn't going to eat venison steaks and it did make great jerky.)