Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

ot - the war rages on, with pictures

Options
2»

Comments

• kl8ton
    kl8ton Posts: 5,429
    Options
    Large, Medium, MiniMax, & 22, and 36" Blackstone
    Grand Rapids MI
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,627
    Options
    I've been very happy with the single break models. Gamo makes some nice affordable ones with bright, adjustable scopes and enough velocity that you can take down a squirrel with a .177 pellet from a decent distance. Buy good pellets, it helps.
  • sctdg
    sctdg Posts: 301
    Options
    2 words. Rat zapper. Silent.  Deadly. Legal.
    I love mine. We use them at the shop for mice. They work great.

+1
    Use them for Chipmunk plaque we have around here .
  • badinfluence
    badinfluence Posts: 1,774
    Options
    Crockpot with cream of mushroom soup...tell the little bugger to bring friends to the party as not a lot of meat on just 1.
    1 XXL BGE,  1 LG BGE, 2 MED. BGE, 1 MINI BGE, 1 Peoria custom cooker Meat Monster.

Clinton, Iowa
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Zippylip said:
    Huge fan of nuts, that Little Steven 

I was hoping he would throw me a solid & come down in the capacity of a mole if you will, sort of blend in with the herd, gain their trust over the course of the summer, learn their ways & most importantly their plan for my porch.  Then when the time is right go turncoat & blow up their outpost eradicating any/all of these filthy subversives that have any knowledge of my porch & what lies behind the walls thereby eliminating future threats.

Kinda like what he does at home for fun anyway

Then you have the concern he would mate with them and create some kind of super strain of villainous varmint that would be immune to all known forms of eradication. Using alcohol in your mix would clearly only make him stronger. Nobody needs that. 
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • Zippylip
    Zippylip Posts: 4,768
    Options
    Zippylip said:
    Huge fan of nuts, that Little Steven 

I was hoping he would throw me a solid & come down in the capacity of a mole if you will, sort of blend in with the herd, gain their trust over the course of the summer, learn their ways & most importantly their plan for my porch.  Then when the time is right go turncoat & blow up their outpost eradicating any/all of these filthy subversives that have any knowledge of my porch & what lies behind the walls thereby eliminating future threats.

Kinda like what he does at home for fun anyway

Then you have the concern he would mate with them and create some kind of super strain of villainous varmint that would be immune to all known forms of eradication. Using alcohol in your mix would clearly only make him stronger. Nobody needs that. 
    sadly I believe his genes would actually make them slower & dumber & easier to trap
    happy in the hut
    West Chester Pennsylvania
  • Holepuncher
    Holepuncher Posts: 388
    Options
    "Eatin"
    Hendersonville, TN.
  • nhk19
    nhk19 Posts: 151
    Options
    Zippylip said:
    Legume said:
    Pellet guns are great for squirrels, or so I've heard ;)  

A simple platform lashed to a tree made from a shelf bracket and a piece of plywood, then smeared with peanut butter and birdseed has worked really well to attract and keep them semi-stationary. 
    that sounds like a superb idea, the plywood; I'm in the process of narrowing down the specific gun as we speak

Walmart.  Gamo Fusion pellet.  & BTW take it from a redneck from PA.  They're mighty tasty grilled.
    XLBGE
    Lewisburg, PA
  • Zippylip
    Options
    nhk19 said:
    Walmart.  Gamo Fusion pellet.  & BTW take it from a redneck from PA.  They're mighty tasty grilled.
    One step ahead of you, already elicited the advice of an expert, the biggest gangly sh!t kicker of a red neck I know that has shown a sustained propensity toward accurate shooting & all matters of general violence.  Following consultation I went with the Gamo Silent Cat, $109 @ Walmart, will be shipping soon.  Here's an interesting review:

http://www.airriflehunter.com/
    happy in the hut
  • nhk19
    Options
    Zippylip said:
    nhk19 said:
    One step ahead of you, already elicited the advice of an expert, the biggest gangly sh!t kicker of a red neck I know that has shown a sustained propensity toward accurate shooting & all matters of general violence.  Following consultation I went with the Gamo Silent Cat, $109 @ Walmart, will be shipping soon.  Here's an interesting review:

http://www.airriflehunter.com/
    LMBO! That will work too!  Your friend & I would get along well.  Happy BGE grilling!
    XLBGE
    Lewisburg, PA
  • dougcrann
    dougcrann Posts: 1,129
    Options
    Wanna borrow a 50 BMG rifle? If that is a bit much how about a S&W 500 Magnum? 
  • nhk19
    Options
    dougcrann said:
    Wanna borrow a 50 BMG rifle? If that is a bit much how about a S&W 500 Magnum? 
    Who wanted to grill a squirrel anyway?
    XLBGE
    Lewisburg, PA
  • Zippylip
    Options
    So it's been a couple weeks & here's the update.  The ground war began with the delivery of the Gamo Silent Cat 1250fps break barrel and Crosman 1377  variable pump pistol, 600fps max at 10 pumps:

But, these arrived shortly after the douching of the porch with the weaponized habernero death juice which so far has worked.  Now, it could be coincidence but I don't think so.  In all prior attacks I'd come out to a pile of wood chips, at least 25 small shreds of wood on the floor directly beneath the point of attack.  Since spraying I've come out to one such scene but there were only 2 small shreds of wood.  Given that I'm thinking one of them chewed a piece off then as he was going after the second bite the pepper kicked in like a good abt does & he dropped & rolled, nothing since. 

If things remain as is I'm content & for now I'm just enjoying the guns for target practice.  Here's an airgun target (quarter sized circles, about 20 per page) from a little over 10 yards with the pistol, this thing is amazingly accurate:

happy in the hut
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,487
    Options
    Zippylip said:
    Given that I'm thinking one of them chewed a piece off then as he was going after the second bite the pepper kicked in like a good abt does & he dropped & rolled, nothing since. 

I'm gonna be giggling about this all night tonight, excellent!   =)

"Pro-Life" would be twenty students graduating from Sandy Hook next month