Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Can you tell by the smell?

Options
So....I was mowing the yard the other day and could smell someone grilling in the neighborhood.  Couldn't see the smoke but definitely could smell the "cook". Had no idea what was cooking.  At other times, I've smelled the "cook" and just knew when it was chicken or burgers.  Anyone have a keen sense of smell or maybe know your neighbors well enough to tell what they are grilling?   I still can't tell if the smell is from a charcoal grill, egg, or gas grill, unless they're using lighter fluid, which although I never use, I love to smell.  Maybe because it reminds me of how my dad grilled years ago.  The houses in my neighborhood are pretty well spaced out but I really don't think too many people grill on a regular basis.  But when they do, I always can't help but wonder what's on the menu at their house?  So....Can you tell by the smell?

Comments

• yljkt
    yljkt Posts: 799
    Options
  • GregW
    GregW Posts: 2,677
    Options
    My BGE really tortures the neighbors when I cook. A charcoal grill really carries out through the area, It's amazing how far it goes.
    To me the smell of a charcoal grill really is the smell of summer. 
  • ryantt
    ryantt Posts: 2,532
    Options
    Next time follow the smell and see what's cooking 
    XL BGE, KJ classic, Joe Jr, UDS x2 

• Jeremiah
    Jeremiah Posts: 6,412
    Options
    http://youtu.be/hib4n9RmFrQ

Yes. I'm drinking. 
    Slumming it in Aiken, SC. 
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    Jeremiah said:
    http://youtu.be/hib4n9RmFrQ

Yes. I'm drinking. 
    Good one. 
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • Dave in Florida
    Dave in Florida Posts: 1,157
    Options
    People in my neighborhood will stop by and say I am killing them with the wonderful smell coming from my egg.  
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Welcome to the Swamp.....GO GATORS!!!!
  • ChuckR
    ChuckR Posts: 248
    Options
    Sounds crazy but I have always loved the smell of a weber kettle cooking burgers. Brings back very fond memories of childhood summers and camping in the fall. However i would not trade that for my egg any day.

Suwanee, GA
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,889
    Options
    People in my neighborhood will stop by and say I am killing them with the wonderful smell coming from my egg.  
    Me too. At one time there were 4 homes with eggs on our street of 17 houses, but now I'm the only one. Guess it's my sworn duty to keep the smoke and smells coming! =)
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • EggNorth
    EggNorth Posts: 1,535
    Options
    I can usually smell beef.   Neighbors are amazed or confused that I spend so much time outside all year but they usually yell over that it smells good.   When my wife gets home from work, she can smell the meal from the front of the house, I'm in the back, which makes a bad day good.
    Dave
    Cambridge, Ontario - Canada
    Large (2010), Mini Max (2015), Large garden pot (2018)
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,343
    Options
    No chance here unless a high-wind day.  I cannot even smell my BGE greater than around 50-60 feet from the source.  And I do have a scent-sensitive nose-or so I have been told.  Happy Derby Day.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • poster
    poster Posts: 1,172
    Options
    Houses too far apart here, but last time i was in chicago i picked up the scent of charcoal and ended up finding the webber grill 2 blocks away. Next time ill have to try it out. Spring means the smell of manure around here
  • FATC1TY
    FATC1TY Posts: 888
    Options
    Certainly can.. Neighbors on both sides comment a fair bit on the great smells.. 

Spring and Summer is the time when it should be gas, cut grass and smoke from the grills in the air.

I can tell when my neighbor is cooking though. Cranks up the gasser and burns everything up. I can smell the char when he cooks and the wind blows.
    -FATC1TY
    Grillin' and Brewing in Atlanta
    LBGE
    MiniMax
  • Hub
    Hub Posts: 927
    Options
    I can't usually tell ... but my dogs can.  They always know as soon as the egg is lit, and they know when the meat is done and ready to be pulled.
    Beautiful and lovely Villa Rica, Georgia
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,889
    Options
    Here's a flip side story of this smoke thread. I have some elderly neighbors who always say they can smell the smoke in the neighborhood whenever I'm egging. I'm never sure if that is a complaint or not. Due to their health issues they eat very little protein, but they do like sweets. I got so when I would egg a chocolate cake I'd take them a big piece to share. The lady is always polite, but her husband would always add "just wish it wasn't so smokey". Since I bake on my virgin medium egg with no wood and only used clean burning Ozark Oak lump that always threw me! Then for kicks and giggles one time I baked that same cake inside in my wife's spic and span kitchen oven and again shared a piece. Next day - the guy said "we liked your cake, Ron, but wish it wasn't so damn smokey tasting!" That was the last time I shared any of my "smokey" cake with them! 
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • bhedges1987
    bhedges1987 Posts: 3,201
    Options
    Charcoal grills really smell good. So does my stick burner when I'm running on cherry it's possibly the greatest smell. 

Kansas City, Missouri
    Large Egg
    Mini Egg

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us" - Gandalf

• Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Options
    Interesting question. I'm alone on the charcoal front in my area. Lots of gassers, propane and natural gas. I can usually tell what's on my neighbour's grill, chicken or beef - pork not so much. They always ask - what are you cooking tonight? The smoke from the charcoal, briquette or lump, seems to mask the smell of the cook. When they see the CI smoking on the Camp Chef, they know it is either steak or chops.
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • Boileregger
    Boileregger Posts: 614
    Options
    When I lived in NY, before I found the egg I had a little Chargriller offset. There was an old Italian couple next door who I met when I shoveled their driveway for them after a blizzard.  The little Italian grandma gave me a plate of ravioli as a thank you and mentioned that she loved the smell of the charcoal when I cooked.  I couldn't take the grill when I moved away so I gave her a quick lesson on how to light it and gave her the grill.  Wonder if she ever actually used it.
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    When I lived in NY, before I found the egg I had a little Chargriller offset. There was an old Italian couple next door who I met when I shoveled their driveway for them after a blizzard.  The little Italian grandma gave me a plate of ravioli as a thank you and mentioned that she loved the smell of the charcoal when I cooked.  I couldn't take the grill when I moved away so I gave her a quick lesson on how to light it and gave her the grill.  Wonder if she ever actually used it.
    Nice memory!  And I bet that's the best ravioli you've ever encountered.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • bboulier
    bboulier Posts: 558
    Options
    Beef has a distinctive (great) smell.  Hey, I grew up in Nebraska. I can tell charcoal from gas in the neighborhood. Not sure I can tell pork from chicken.  Would need a blind smell test on this one.
    Weber Kettle, Weber Genesis Silver B, Medium Egg, KJ Classic (Black)
  • DeadReddog
    DeadReddog Posts: 12
    Options
    I can defenately smell beef. Like to think I can tell burgers from steak ( probably all in my head ) but I absolutely know when someone is smoking on a charcoal grill. Made a couple friends in the neighborhood following my nose.
    Charleston, South Cackalackey  XLBGE
  • DeadReddog
    DeadReddog Posts: 12
    Options
    RRP said:
    Here's a flip side story of this smoke thread. I have some elderly neighbors who always say they can smell the smoke in the neighborhood whenever I'm egging. I'm never sure if that is a complaint or not. Due to their health issues they eat very little protein, but they do like sweets. I got so when I would egg a chocolate cake I'd take them a big piece to share. The lady is always polite, but her husband would always add "just wish it wasn't so smokey". Since I bake on my virgin medium egg with no wood and only used clean burning Ozark Oak lump that always threw me! Then for kicks and giggles one time I baked that same cake inside in my wife's spic and span kitchen oven and again shared a piece. Next day - the guy said "we liked your cake, Ron, but wish it wasn't so damn smokey tasting!" That was the last time I shared any of my "smokey" cake with them! 
    Ha!
    Charleston, South Cackalackey  XLBGE
  • victor1
    victor1 Posts: 225
    Options
    Somehow I can usually detect BBQ chicken.  Maybe the sauce.  We always hear "stop and smell the roses"  I'd rather slow down and smell whats in the BGE.
  • 1move
    1move Posts: 516
    Options
    In my neighbourhood we have a lot of active people/walkers. We are on a corner lot and one side of our back yard has a metal fence that exposes the back yard. I don't think there has been a single time where people stop to chat and ask about the egg or the cook. Everyone has gas BBQs in the neighbourhood until I shared some smoked salmon and other cooks with the neighbors now 2 others have smokers or charcoal grills and a few asking for advice on what to buy. 
    XLBGE, MMBGE, CyberQ
  • westernbbq
    westernbbq Posts: 2,490
    Options
    RRP said:
    It sounds like your neighbor doesnt like the big green egg at all.  Id bet if you brought him a cold beer he would complain that it was too smoky as well

Egg On!   I will have a piece of that cake any time!
  • hondabbq
    hondabbq Posts: 1,980
    Options
    Im in the country and my closest neighbor is 500 yards away. the other neighbors I do talk to are twice that distance and they have never mentioned anything. I personally like it when im in the front yard working or what have you and the egg is chugging away on the back deck and if the wind is blowing right I get the smells, or working in the vicinity of the back and I get a beautiful waft of bbq.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,754
    Options
    sure i can, my neighbors routinely grill up frozen tyson breaded wings on the gasser. its absolutely disgusting but they serve it up with crown on the rocks =)
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • BikerBob
    BikerBob Posts: 284
    Options
    Yesterday I contributed to the neighborhood air pollution. The ribs smelled great after a couple of hours smoking. No body else was doing any cooking, but one was burning limbs.

Bob
    Cooking on the coast
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,836
    Options
    A couple of days ago my wife and I walked 8 miles along one of San Antonio's greenway trails.  At one point we passed near a neighborhood and I smelled what could only be the smell of hot dogs on a gas grill.

My wife concurred with my assessment.

So, the answer is "yes".

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX