Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

ot - the war rages on, with pictures

Options
Zippylip
Zippylip Posts: 4,768

Following the wire-meshing of all access points to my porch a few weeks ago, the squirrel returned.  A week or so ago I found a pile of wood chips in & around the area I covered in mesh, little bastard was eating a 1x4 I jammed into one of the holes & then bore about a ½ inch crater directly into the ceiling which didn’t go all the way through.  Having read some about hot pepper & its effectiveness as a deterrent, I mixed some Dizzy Pig Ghost Pepper rub into some vinegar & sprayed it all around the perimeter of the porch, basically adjacent to all the areas they were getting in before & trying to figure out new ways to get in. 

For over a week all was quiet until earlier this week I came out to find a pile of wood chips in the dead center of the porch, nowhere near any access to the side walls or soffit areas where they were living before the mesh.  I get up on the ladder & realize this little C-sucker was ripping a nice divot out of the main support beam. 

Obviously I’m dealing with a squirrel bent on vengeance, and spite.  Like the squirrel version of little steven.

While the Ghost potion worked well, it did clog the sprayer (empty Windex bottle) due to the fine particles of spice I couldn’t strain out.  So I determined it was time to make my own from scratch.  This is one pound of fresh habaneros shredded in the processor soaking in 1.5 gallons of white vinegar to remove the capsaicin.  Let it steep for 2 days and strain:

strained:

Part of the final product, one U.S. Gallon of Weaponized Habanero:

The delivery system:

I soaked every square inch of the support beam, the ceiling, and re-did the perimeter.  Then gave it all a second coat for good measure.  When the vinegar dries, it should leave behind pure hell for any rodent that decides to take a bite.  It won't wash off given its location so we'll see if & for how long I don't see any new signs of attack.

I don't know if this will work but I'm out of ideas barring putting the walls & screens back up, but that's hideous & this route only cost me about 6 bucks so it was worth a shot.

happy in the hut
West Chester Pennsylvania

Comments

• chuckytheegghead
    chuckytheegghead Posts: 1,201
    Options
    Good luck, keep us posted on this one. 
  • SoCalWJS
    SoCalWJS Posts: 407
    Options
    I have a very simple solution for this kind of problem, but's not "PC".........

Best wishes and good luck!
    South SLO County
  • yljkt
    yljkt Posts: 799
    Options
    Steel wool works wonders packed into entry points. 
  • Darby_Crenshaw
    Darby_Crenshaw Posts: 2,657
    Options
    It's a shame that you can't simply coexist with the wildlife in your area. why move to such a lovely treed peaceable area if you are so bent on destroying god's creatures

this is how i can tell that yours is the counterfeit 'zippy' account. He was a gentle soul. I wonder what became of him. 
    [social media disclaimer: irony and sarcasm may be used in some or all of user's posts; emoticon usage is intended to indicate moderately jocular social interaction; the comments toward users, their usernames, and the real people (living or dead) that they refer to are not intended to be adversarial in nature; those replying to this user are entering into a tacit agreement that they are real-life or social-media acquaintances and/or have agreed to or tacitly agreed to perpetrate occasional good-natured ribbing between and among themselves and others]

• caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    Sounds about the same size as LS... 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Darby_Crenshaw
    Darby_Crenshaw Posts: 2,657
    Options
    Steven has the same rat-like beady eyes
    [social media disclaimer: irony and sarcasm may be used in some or all of user's posts; emoticon usage is intended to indicate moderately jocular social interaction; the comments toward users, their usernames, and the real people (living or dead) that they refer to are not intended to be adversarial in nature; those replying to this user are entering into a tacit agreement that they are real-life or social-media acquaintances and/or have agreed to or tacitly agreed to perpetrate occasional good-natured ribbing between and among themselves and others]

• Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,471
    Options
    I can't remember from your original thread, but have you tried trapping him/releasing him in, say, Aleppo?  
    That, or an Excorcism?  This little **** sounds bound and determined to disrupt You!  

Remember when teachers used to say 'You won't have a calculator everywhere you go'?  Well, we showed them.

• Zippylip
    Options
    yljkt said:
    it's not the entry points that are the problem, they're all tight.  It's the random spots this thing is picking to chew on & turn to toothpicks.
    and chainsaw like teeth, those little ears that move around as if on a swivel, and a nose that can detect nuts of all kinds from 2 miles away

happy in the hut
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    Can't you just set traps and kill the little b@$tard? Not @Little Steven, the other one. =) Pellet guns work, I hear. Or is that sort of thing illegal in your neck of the woods?

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• GregW
    GregW Posts: 2,677
    Options
    It's a shame that you can't simply coexist with the wildlife in your area. why move to such a lovely treed peaceable area if you are so bent on destroying god's creatures

this is how i can tell that yours is the counterfeit 'zippy' account. He was a gentle soul. I wonder what became of him. 
    I tried the live and let live approach a few years ago.
    Squirrels chewed a 2.5 inch hole through 3/4 inch concrete Hardie board two nights in a row.
    Believe me, I didn't want to bring guns into play. I really had no choice.
    I love squirrels, but I had no idea how determined and destructive they can be.

• Spaightlabs
    Spaightlabs Posts: 2,349
    Options
    2 words. Rat zapper. Silent.  Deadly. Legal.
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Zippylip said:
    yljkt said:
    it's not the entry points that are the problem, they're all tight.  It's the random spots this thing is picking to chew on & turn to toothpicks.
    and chainsaw like teeth, those little ears that move around as if on a swivel, and a nose that can detect nuts of all kinds from 2 miles away

Huge fan of nuts, that Little Steven 
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Clever. Alcohol would be a better solvent for removing the capsaicim.  Just dilute it to below 30% ABV before spraying so you don't torch your house.   Or get some cats. 

I used to use liquid crab boil to keep my dogs from chewing on my stuff.
    Options
    Clever. Alcohol would be a better solvent for removing the capsaicim.  Just dilute it to below 30% ABV before spraying so you don't torch your house.   Or get some cats. 

I used to use liquid crab boil to keep my dogs from chewing on my stuff.
    Well that's a waste Carey! ;)
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • schafe98
    schafe98 Posts: 46
    Options
    I like the habanero approach.  Interested to see how this plays out.  Keep us posted!
    Vacaville, CA

LBGE, Weber Summit, UDS, Weber Classic, Weber Smokey Joe, La Caja China
  • Jupiter Jim
    Jupiter Jim Posts: 3,351
    Options

They are very smart and can learn from others, we have a bird feeder that is suspended by an 1/8" wire cable from the house to a large tree 45' away. When we bought the house it was here, the little c suckers would run down the cable and dine on the sunflower seeds, have seen 4 at one time and the birds won't come when they are there. I tried hot pepper sprinkled on the seed and they continued to dine. So the pellet gun came out. Once all of the ones that knew how to get out there were gone problem solved. We now see them running around in the trees and looking for a way to get to the feeder but in the last two years none have figured out how to get to the feeder, the teachers are all deceased! Good luck I hope your life saving spray works. In reality they are just long tailed Rats!

I'm only hungry when I'm awake!

Okeechobee FL. Winter

West Jefferson NC Summer

• johnkitchens
    johnkitchens Posts: 5,227
    Options
    I love mine. We use them at the shop for mice. They work great.

Louisville, GA - 2 Large BGE's
  • johnmitchell
    johnmitchell Posts: 6,570
    Options
    We live in a wooded area and I have noticed more squirrels this spring than years before.. Not sure if the warmer than normal winter we had has anything to do with it. I have been at war with a colony of rats that moved in under my deck this spring.. "Wow" what a battle.. I think I won.. Good luck...
    Greensboro North Carolina
    When in doubt Accelerate....
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    Varmint Cong, the squirrel in the black pajamas, now there is a worth adversary.
    (apologies to both "Caddyshack" and "The Big Lebowski".)
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • Zippylip
    Options
    I watched a video on that, any experience with using them on squirrels?  Seems they'd be too smart to walk into that thing, or walk in more than once.  These little bastards are quick studies when the see their brothers in peril. 

Yup, I did read that, using Everclear.  Every fall I chop my remaining crop of hot peppers from the garden & soak in vinegar for 24 hours then strain & pack in olive oil, turns the usually nicely hot cayenne peppers into pretty tame sort of pickled peppers.  That vinegar gets tossed but its vapors are always troublesome.  I tasted this potion last night before spraying, it was plain violent with no redeeming culinary use for my taste.  Though if I can make it worse with grain I will.  Was thinking about make a small super batch, one-fifth of grain & 1lb of habaneros & keeping it in a spray bottle on the porch for spot applications. 

And a pellet gun is on the docket too

happy in the hut
  • RedSkip
    RedSkip Posts: 1,400
    Options
    Why not use Ghost chilies? 
    Large BGE - McDonald, PA
  • Zippylip
    Options
    Huge fan of nuts, that Little Steven 

I was hoping he would throw me a solid & come down in the capacity of a mole if you will, sort of blend in with the herd, gain their trust over the course of the summer, learn their ways & most importantly their plan for my porch.  Then when the time is right go turncoat & blow up their outpost eradicating any/all of these filthy subversives that have any knowledge of my porch & what lies behind the walls thereby eliminating future threats.

Kinda like what he does at home for fun anyway

happy in the hut
  • sumoconnell
    sumoconnell Posts: 1,932
    Options
    There is a "famous" recipe on this site for tree rat..

http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/858629/bge-tree-rat-and-fancy-wine/p1

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    Austin, Texas.  I'm the guy holding a beer.
  • DaveRichardson
    DaveRichardson Posts: 2,324
    Options

and maybe soak the bb's in the solution for a little extra bite when you shoot them!

And you, sir, have far surpassed my "middle-east rock thrower" status with this evil and vile concoction that was in the sprayer.

Best wishes for roof-rat-free weeks and months to come!

LBGE #19 from North GA Eggfest, 2014

Stockbridge, GA - just south of Atlanta where we are covered up in Zombies!  #TheWalkingDead films practically next door!

• Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,616
    Options
    Pellet guns are great for squirrels, or so I've heard ;)  

The back part of my lot is wild with cedars and oaks and that opens into acres of greenbelt, so we have lots of squirrels with lots of cover.  A simple platform lashed to a tree made from a shelf bracket and a piece of plywood, then smeared with peanut butter and birdseed has worked really well to attract and keep them semi-stationary.  If you position it well, you don't have to get out of your chair on the deck, just put the beer down for a few min.
  • Zippylip
    Options
    Legume said:
    Pellet guns are great for squirrels, or so I've heard ;)  

A simple platform lashed to a tree made from a shelf bracket and a piece of plywood, then smeared with peanut butter and birdseed has worked really well to attract and keep them semi-stationary. 
    that sounds like a superb idea, the plywood; I'm in the process of narrowing down the specific gun as we speak

happy in the hut
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,888
    Options
    I have an inexpensive pump Crossman rifle with scope that is extremely accurate. Granted with the pump it's not rapid firing, but with a little practice the accuracy will give you the reputation as DeadEyeDick amongst the decreasing squirrel community.
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,043
    Options
    Give them an entrance.  Have that entrance lead to a trap.
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS