Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Using oven to clean

Options
tomo
tomo Posts: 78
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I have for the past few years used the self cleaning cycle on the oven to clean my pizza stone and the grids from my Ducane gasser. It works fine. It is true that about 5 years ago my pizza stone cracked so I got a new, heavier one. It has been fine ever since and it really gets them clean. I only do it once or twice a year. [p]Has anyone ever tried to clean the grids or the plate setter using the self cleaning cycle on the oven? I realize that people have suggested running the green egg for an hour at about 700 degrees, but I am reluctant leave the egg unmonitored at these temperatures....tom

Comments

• Sundown
    Sundown Posts: 2,980
    Options
    tomo,[p]I,ve left Ol'Mr. Egg running at turbo temps 900º for 30 or 40 minutes while I ate supper to clean the grill and a roasting rack. Nothing to worry about really. Have you got the new cinder screen on the lower vent? Wouldn't do to have a live coal leap out and set the deck on fire or, worse yet go out and step on the dang thing! Did that last year. Ouch.
  • Ed
    Ed Posts: 123
    Options
    tomo,[p]I've used the oven to clean old cast iron frying pans and griddles. It does a wonderful job. Haven't tried it for pizza stones, plate setters, etc. but that's because I try to scrub them off after every use so they don't get too grunged up, at least so far.
  • tomo
    tomo Posts: 78
    Options
    Sundown,
    I don't have one. It sounds like a good idea....tom