Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
We hope everyone enjoyed their Fourth of July weekend and is excited for more warm weather grilling! This week, we’ll be making these two burgers: Stuffed Portobello Mushroom and Caribbean Chicken, and also eating lots of these Ice Cream Sandwiches in honor of National Ice Cream Month! It's time to think about getting out to one of the many #EGGfests around the country - see a list here

Cast Aluminum dutch oven?

Crab legCrab leg Posts: 291
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I have an old soup pot (dutch oven lookin thing) that is cast aluminum as best as I can tell. It has cooked many a great soup over the years by my mother and has a lot of sentimental value to me(her passing is the reason said pot is in my posession)Anyway, I was planning on doing a big pot of baked beans for the 4th using Bush's beans with a bunch of pulled pork mixed in and some Dizzy Pig magic mixed in. I guess my question is this.... is it safe to use this aluminum pot in the egg, and if so, what kind of wood to smoke with? Any and all suggestions would be appreciated. I don't want to screw up mom's pot or the beans!
Seth

Comments

• ronbeauxronbeaux Posts: 988
    Crableg,
    I fully understand the sentimental value thing. I'm sure this pot was set directly on a gas stove over the years and has apparently suffered no damage. The egg will provide the heat just like the stove top and it won't sit right on the fire, unless you decide to rig something up, so I can't think of any reason to not use it. I've watched several eggers use a pot on the egg and even make beans (Chubby!!!) Go for it! If it were me I would use hickory or pecan to add just a hint of smoke flavor to your beans.

• MR HMR H Posts: 109
    Crableg,
    I just got home from the hospital with open heart surgery. My diet has changed form rich food to high fiber and such. I made a pot of wild rice in my alumium pressure cooker. Within hours I became ill. after a little testing , and thinking about previous usage,I can't use the pressure cooker. I have a new stainless cooker on order.
    Just one person experience[p]HOWARD IN Bartow

• Crableg, Acids, like in tomatoe products, will react with & cause discoloration of aluminum. I don't know how it effects the taste/quality of the food.[p]rb[p]
  • Elder WardElder Ward Posts: 330
    Crableg,
    Hi, I have just a little different take on this issue. Please consider the following. Modern Pot making has come a long way and it is hard to mess up the new aluminum cook ware. Before I would continue to use your mothers pot I would try one small experiment.
    Clean your pot by washing it using dish detergent in the sink in the normal fashion. Rinse it well and dry it out. Now fill it with clean water and allow it to sit over night. If in the morning the water is discolored usually black or gray it is my considered opinion your heirloom pot would be better used as a decorative conversation piece than a cooking tool. If it discolors that means aluminum oxides or what ever they are called is being consumed by you and your family. I am not sure that much of any metal is good for consumption.
    One old mans opinion.
    Elder Ward

• Crab legCrab leg Posts: 291
    Elder Ward,
    Your input is much appreciated. If the water is clear, would you continue to use it?
    Seth
    PS Great to see you on the board again.

• Elder WardElder Ward Posts: 330
    Crab leg,
    Yes if clear I would not have a problem using it to cook most things. Would not do super acidic stuff. Thanks good to help out again.
    Carl

• HaggisHaggis Posts: 998
    Crableg,[p]Might note that dutch ovens sold by All Clad are cast aluminum . . . don't know how they perform but it suggests some level of confidence.