Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

39 day dry aged Prime Rib (1st timer)

Options
Jai-Bo
Jai-Bo Posts: 584

This was my 1st attempt, but not my last.....

OK family, I just pulled my Prime Rib outta the fridge and started carving!

It started out 19.67 lbs. Put it in a Umai bag on a cookie sheet in the back of the fridge. I think it was cooler back there so I don't believe it aged as fast as others I have seen. When I pulled it out, it weighed 17 lbs on the nose. After carving the outer layer off, it weighed 10 lbs. I may have carved a bit more meat out then I should have but momma is gonna make use outta it! After carving the steaks out, I had 22 steaks.

I have 5 of em in olive oil seasoned w/sea salt,pepper, and spicy garlic so I'll post the results later about the flavor of them jokers!!!

Hunting-Fishing-Cookin' on my EGG! Nothing else compares!

Comments

• Jai-Bo
    Options
    =) I can never get these dern pics in the right order!!!!  Geeezzzz  oh well, you get the extent of it!
  • Darby_Crenshaw
    Darby_Crenshaw Posts: 2,657
    Options
    why you trim doh?
    [social media disclaimer: irony and sarcasm may be used in some or all of user's posts; emoticon usage is intended to indicate moderately jocular social interaction; the comments toward users, their usernames, and the real people (living or dead) that they refer to are not intended to be adversarial in nature; those replying to this user are entering into a tacit agreement that they are real-life or social-media acquaintances and/or have agreed to or tacitly agreed to perpetrate occasional good-natured ribbing between and among themselves and others]

• johnmitchell
    johnmitchell Posts: 6,571
    Options
    They look awesome.. Wow you are in for some real great steaks..
    Greensboro North Carolina
    When in doubt Accelerate....
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    Looks about amazing!  Sounds a bit aggressive on the trim. What is momma gonna use the trimmings for?
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    Options
    OK, I understand that dry aged is good, but isn't all you cut off kind of a waste?
    XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.
  • Jai-Bo
    Options
    bgebrent said:
    Looks about amazing!  Sounds a bit aggressive on the trim. What is momma gonna use the trimmings for?

Beef stock, plus you can hydrate it by boiling it and use it in stews but there was a good bit of fat that was cut off the edges...

• Jai-Bo
    Options
    OK, I understand that dry aged is good, but isn't all you cut off kind of a waste?
    Believe me, I don't like the idea of "waste" but I'll hold off my complete opinion until I see how good the steaks are tonight....
  • Darby_Crenshaw
    Options
    historically, no one ever trimmed.  seems to be the power of the web though.,  everyone trims now.  i don't.

been doing this  a long while, and researching it quite a bot.  trimming has become "the thing to do" since the craze reached critical mass.  i think it is a holdover ffrom the tendency to assume steaks should be bright red.

to me, it's trimming off the best part.  especially if one has never aged before, i'd suggest leaving it on.

how do you know you don't like it? it is, in fact, one of the goals of dry aging.  or was anyway.

kinda like making cheese, and trimming off the rind.  heck, it's part of the goal.

to each his own, but i advocate for the traditional way, which was always to simply cook it the way it is.  makesa fantastic crust, fwiw
    [social media disclaimer: irony and sarcasm may be used in some or all of user's posts; emoticon usage is intended to indicate moderately jocular social interaction; the comments toward users, their usernames, and the real people (living or dead) that they refer to are not intended to be adversarial in nature; those replying to this user are entering into a tacit agreement that they are real-life or social-media acquaintances and/or have agreed to or tacitly agreed to perpetrate occasional good-natured ribbing between and among themselves and others]

• Jai-Bo
    Options
    historically, no one ever trimmed.  seems to be the power of the web though.,  everyone trims now.  i don't.

been doing this  a long while, and researching it quite a bot.  trimming has become "the thing to do" since the craze reached critical mass.  i think it is a holdover ffrom the tendency to assume steaks should be bright red.

to me, it's trimming off the best part.  especially if one has never aged before, i'd suggest leaving it on.

how do you know you don't like it? it is, in fact, one of the goals of dry aging.  or was anyway.

kinda like making cheese, and trimming off the rind.  heck, it's part of the goal.

to each his own, but i advocate for the traditional way, which was always to simply cook it the way it is.  makesa fantastic crust, fwiw
    Since you are experienced at this, how does one chew the outside bark/crust?  I know several parts of this chunk of meat were almost rock solid.

• Jai-Bo
    Options
    Took about 1.5 minutes on each side at 650 and fer the 1st dry aged steak, it was very tender.  I did miss the blood of c6a med rare steak.  I usually marinate my steaks but tried to be different w/ the salt/pepper/garlic.  Good but I'd give it an 8 outta 10.

• bgebrent
    Options
    Jai-Bo said:

Since you are experienced at this, how does one chew the outside bark/crust?  I know several parts of this chunk of meat were almost rock solid.

It's dehydrated.  After minimal trim and rendering on the egg as a roast, it rehydrates a little but is still an amazing crusty delight!  Try it, it's amazing.
  • bgebrent
    Options
    45 day dry aged prime ribeyes done today.  Nothing hard/tough about it.  Moist and tender.
  • Jai-Bo
    Options
    I'll do it on the next try!  Thanks folks!
  • Darby_Crenshaw
    Options
    Jai-Bo said:

it was solid when you took it out of a cold fridge.

it's fat, no water left on the outside (not much anyway).

when you cook it though, the fat melts and fries the meat, and the residual water in the meat (both surface and internal) will soften that meat which was formerly "rock hard"

it makes the finest crust for a prime rib that you can have. 

remember, you no longer have fresh red super market-pretty meat.  you are purposefully causing this to change into something totally different than what it was.

so try it the way it was originally intended.  you'll see it isn't rock hard at all, and a good many of us find it to be the best part of the roast (or steak).

trimming these is a relatively recent thing.