Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Will the CGS AR fit on a platesetter?

Options
malligator
malligator Posts: 102
edited May 2016 in EggHead Forum
So I just ordered the whole R&B package with extender and a second 13x17 grid. I know that makes my PS obsolete. What I'm wondering now is if the PS can be used as a landing pad for the AR if/when I want to take it out of a hot Egg? That's really the only thing I can think of the PS being useful for now. I know I can set a single cooking grid on it, but what about the entire AR?

LBGE in PHX

Comments

• smokeyw
    smokeyw Posts: 367
    Options

I haven't tried it.  I just set my hot AR on 3 fire bricks.

• Jeepster47
    Jeepster47 Posts: 3,827
    edited May 2016
    Options
    The simple answer is yes, but ...

It's a close fit ... one nudge and you'll have a mess.  The round shape is still the best for pizza cooks. Or, you could trim off the upright legs and use it in the bottom of your AR unit instead of the oval stone. Or, cut the round portion out of the middle for a super pizza stone ...

Washington, IL  >  Queen Creek, AZ ... Two large eggs and an adopted Mini Max

• malligator
    malligator Posts: 102
    Options
    Youzza. That's a bit dicey for me. Looks like I'll be investing in some fire bricks. I'll just set the PS aside (for my 2nd LBGE :) ).

LBGE in PHX

• Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Options
    In my XL I put the platesetter legs up, the woo on that with the grate on the woo and the AR on the grate and they all fit inside. Leaves good space under the woo for a drip pan and it creates a little air gap for it and gives me lots of cooking area.
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options
    I cut the legs off the platesetter and use it for the indirect piece 

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• SmokinTiger81
    SmokinTiger81 Posts: 746
    Options
    I just keep a couple bricks wrapped in foil laying around to set hot stuff on when needed.  Foil just keeps things clean. Cheaper than fire bricks
  • smokeyw
    smokeyw Posts: 367
    Options
    The only reason I have fire bricks is I occasionally use them in the grill while cooking. Otherwise, any old brick will do.
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    edited May 2016
    Options
    PS would still be great for baking or dutch oven cooking in your Large Egg.It adds more thermal mass.
    I would not mess with it trying to balance your hot rig. Like others have said, any cheap pavers or bricks would work better. 
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,767
    Options
    i just put it down on the ground =)
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    I do as well..have little round burn marks on my deck, Gives the deck some character...Ha Ha
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • Toxarch
    Toxarch Posts: 1,900
    Options
    Photo Egg said:
    I do as well..have little round burn marks on my deck, Gives the deck some character...Ha Ha
    Same here but mine is a flagstone patio. Hard to burn it. If not on the ground, then it goes on the old charcoal grill. Gotta use that grill for something. 
    Aledo, Texas
    Large BGE
    KJ Jr.

Exodus 12:9 KJV
    Eat not of it raw, nor sodden at all with water, but roast with fire; his head with his legs, and with the purtenance thereof.