Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Brisket at 160 should I go to 170 E.o.m.

Comments

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    J. Wilson,
    You are just entering the plateau, where the magic happens. You need to get to at least 180, then try a fork test. Don't be suprised if it stalls in the 160s for some time. Still a ways to go![p]Good luck, and Happy Holidays!
    NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • Nature Boy, I'm headed down to 157. Is this normal? Also do you fill lump to top of fire ring? May have not put enough lump in. I filled to top of fire box.[p]
  • sprinter
    sprinter Posts: 1,188
    J. Wilson,[p]If you filled it to the top of the firebox and the fire has been going for awhile, it MAY be out of lump. No real way to tell other than to open it up and look. If its at 160, then at 157, its losing heat somehow. Check the lump. It will sit at this 160 plateau seemingly forever, let it go and be patient. It needs to get to 180 like NB says. This plateau is where all of the callogens and connective tissues get broken down and it makes the brisket nice and tender. How long has it been cooking and how big is the brisket? What has the temp been at in the egg?[p]Troy
  • J. Wilson,
    Yep. It is not uncommon for temp to drop a tad before slowly making its way up again, You are talking internal temp right?? What is your dome temp holdng at? [p]I fill my firebox just a ittle over the top of the firebox. Some fill to the top of the ring, but to the top of the firebox should easily get you 20 hours at 250.[p]Once you get thru the plateau to 170, you can kick up the dome temp closer to 300 to finish it off, but resist temptation to force it thru the plateau with higher temps.[p]Hope that helps. Hang in there.
    NB

• sprinter
    Natue Boy,[p]Missed you by that much. You've actually had the brisket drop in temp? I've not ever had one do that to me, thanks for the heads up on it.[p]Troy
  • Natue Boy,Holding dome temp. at 250. Meat down to 156. Dome temp. seems to be stable. What is going on? Thanks

• Nature Boy
    sprinter,
    I have seen it happen twice. And that is when I just happened to see it. I guess when that collagen starts breaking down, it uses energy...maybe faster than it is gaining energy. Just a theory from a non-physicist. Who knows. [p]We almost collided buddy!
    NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
  • Nature Boy
    J. Wilson,
    Patience is the key here. You are doing fine.
    And you have some good eating coming up in a few hours. Hope this wasn't to be yur lunch!
    Enjoy
    NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
  • sprinter, Started at 9am cooking 31/2hrs. It is just a small 4pd. brisket. Screwed up heat this morning. Cooked first 2 hr. at 325.

• Nature Boy
    J. Wilson,
    Your mistake shouldn't hurt anything. The critical time for getting a tender chunk-ochest is right now, during the plateau. I think you are in for a treat! Right Sprinter??
    NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
  • sprinter
    Nature Boy,[p]Yeah, it seems that as long as you take it through the 160 mark nice and easy, the rest is not that critical. Be patient JW and things will be fine.[p]Troy