Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Chicken drumsticks

Options
Catwoman
Catwoman Posts: 7
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I am a new (large) egg user. Can someone tell me at what temperature (grill or dome level) to cook chicken drumsticks? Indirect or direct heat? Also, when a recipe states a cooking temperature is that temperature the dome temp or the cooking level temp?[p]Thank toy.

Comments

• EggRacer
    EggRacer Posts: 400
    Options
    Catwoman,
    Dome temp 330 to 350, indirect, for 45 to 60 minutes will do the trick. I did 10 thighs this afternoon, dome at 350, indirect, for 60 minutes and they were running about 190 to 195 internal.

XLBGE & LBGE
    North Richland Hills, TX
  • Darnoc
    Darnoc Posts: 2,661
    Options
    EggRacer,
    I always do mine indirect at 275 till internal temp reaches 180.Remove and put your sauce on and cook for another 20 min.till the crust is where you like it.

• JSlot
    JSlot Posts: 1,218
    Options
    I do chicken pieces parts at 350° direct and turn ¼ to ½ turn every 20 minutes until done (180° internal for legs/thighs & 165° for breasts). I also rotate my grid 90° every time I turn the chicken to compensate for any hot spots in the coals. You've got a couple other suggestions, as well. Try 'em every which way and figger out what works for you. Good luck![p]Jim
  • AZRP
    AZRP Posts: 10,116
    Options
    darnoc,
    I've been doing drumsticks indirect at 350 until 185-190 internal temp. I also remove the skin and rub with Tsunami Spin and let sit in the fridge in a ziplock for a couple hours before cooking. Never any leftovers and at that temp, the meat falls of the bone. -RP

• katman
    katman Posts: 331
    Options
    Catwoman,
    I usually do them direct at about 350, but nothing wrong with a low and slow. Last batch of drumsticks went on for the final 90 minutes of a rib cook. Indirect over the platesetter. Drumsticks and ribs make for some great finger food!

• jake42
    jake42 Posts: 932
    Options
    2racks.jpg
    <p />Catwoman,
    Get some of these racks. 350 for 45 minutes to an hour direct. Perfect

• WessB
    WessB Posts: 6,937
    Options
    Catwoman,
    When a recipe calls for a specific temp on "this' forum and recipe section, it typically means dome temp unless stated otherwise...[p]Wess

• Unknown
    Options
    jake42,[p]
    Where do you get these bbq racks?[p]Thanks,[p]John

• jake42
    jake42 Posts: 932
    Options
    John Ramos,
    I got them from Cabela's. no need to flip or anything. Set em' up, close the lid, come back when they are done.

• Unknown
    Options
    John Ramos,[p]I got mine from lane bryant home just used them for the first time tonight ... no leftover must have been good:) I always cook chicken 2 hours on the grill at 275

• Eric_Hess
    Eric_Hess Posts: 7
    Options
    I do my drumsticks direct @ 350º but I use an elevated rack. Turn every 20 minutes, once they have absorbed the smoke flavor and have a nice brown, I coat with BBQ sauce and let finish out the cook until 180º internal. I do not like my chicken dripping with sauce so I only put one full coat of sauce on and then let it cook in.

• jlsm
    jlsm Posts: 1,011
    Options
    +1 on raised direct at about 350*. Takes about 40 minutes.
    Owner of a large and a beloved mini in Philadelphia
  • RAC
    RAC Posts: 1,688
    Options
    Fred

Ricky

Boerne, TX

• Jebpot
    Jebpot Posts: 374
    Options
    Got my drumstick rack at ace hardware. $12.00

XL and Small